Across the Frontier into Eden*

Sharifa

Re: Across the Frontier into Eden

Post by Sharifa »

We saw a number of them dive but they were too quick (or we were too slow O** ) to capture the whole sequence

Scanning

Target seen

This one did get a fish O/\ O\/

down the hatchet

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

The next morning we were up early and we were going to do The Half Collared Kingfisher Trail. We did some reading up on all the trails and this one looked most promising and ends at a waterfall :-) We had two birds on our wishlist, The Knysna Turaco and the Half Collared Kingfisher - both would be lifers for us.

Duke planning the route :O^

It is beautiful walking in the forest and alongside the river. The brochure says the boardwalk is world class and it is

There are notice boards along the route

Not far into the trail, and we even managed to get a photo O/\ O/\ O/\

Followed by a Guinea Fowl Family. Was good to see the LO's scratching around like the parents :-0

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

You can cross the Touws River by using some rocks or the pontoon. We used the Pontoon.

We searched hard for the half collared kingfisher but it was not to be. We saw a giant and pied kingfisher

The waterfall was not as spectacular as some we have seen but still pretty and a nice setting to have our picnic lunch. Taking a photo of a waterfall with your normal settings will produce something like this

You can get what is called the silky effect by using a low ISO (100 in this case) and high Aperture Value (25 in this case)

We headed for the Malachite Hide after this and got a few good sightings. There was a Common moorhen with 4 chicks

Yellow Billed Duck with chicks

Long Crested Grebe

The couple in the hide told us we had just missed two otters playing close by O/

TBC

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

More Birdies from The Malachite Hide

Cape Shoveler

Southern Porchards

Yellow Billed Duck(lings)

African Reed Warbler

Lesser Swamp Warbler

Little Grebe

Black Crake

Sky Blue Dragonfly

Back at the camp next to our Rondawel O:V in the twilight

Wilderness - My Verdict
Beautiful Area, Wonderful Trails and the Malachite Hide is excellent. Don't go during the Xmas Holidays and don't stay in the Rondawels.

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Storms River Mouth

It is 29 December 2013 and we in Storms River (SR) for the next 2 nights. We would have preferred to stay in Storms River before Wilderness but could only get booking this way so we have to go back eastwards.

We time it perfectly again and get to SR at 2.05PM. It is busy and there is a long queue at the entrance gate - day visitors. We allowed to go trough as we overnight visitors :-) but we still have a little queue at reception. We staying in the Oceanette and get to our unit at 2.50pm. It is not ready, the cleaning lady is still busy. I was dead opposed to this 2.00PM check in time, but have accepted it so I expect after a long drive, my unit to be ready at 2.00PM :evil:

The unit is beautiful, one suggestion we made was to have the braai on the balcony and not the other side facing away from the sea. Your parking is also not reserved and in the busy holiday season you struggling to get a parking although you booked in the Oceanettes.

Duke on the balcony

And not getting his feet out of the way 0*\

We decided just to relax for the rest of the day O:V

The beautiful sunset :-)

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Lisbeth wrote:Why did I get thrown out of the car? (0!) ;-)

Storms River Mouth is a lovely place \O We stayed in one of the bungalows right on the sea and it was spectacular \O
Yay you are back in safely Lisbeth O\/

We had a look at the log cabins and decided we would stay in one of those next time, # 16a and b and 17 I think were practically on the surf \O

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

The next morning we were up early and went for a hike - the first 3 km of the Otter Trail which also ends at a waterfall. The trail starts right next to the Oceanettes.

African Black Oyster Catcher

Kelp Gull and Egyptian Goose

A Bloukapie Plant (purple bloom or Polygala myrtifolia)_ have one in my garden ;-)

Dassies O:V

About half way, the rocks were getting too much for me so we had to abandon the walk

We then went on the walk to the suspension bridge. There is a little waterfalls at the start of the walk

Once again a nice walk through the forest and a good boardwalk. Only saw a Chorister Robin on the walk.

The suspension bridges

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

You mean that Sharifa would not walk both of these bridges =O: =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

After our walks we had lunch and then made our way to the BIG TREE

Duke standing at attention, in awe of the giant =O: =O: =O: . It is an awesome sight and almost a 1000 years in the making O:V

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

After the visit to the big tree we spend the rest of the afternoon in the pool. That evening we ate at the restaurant. It was rather quiet considering that it was the Xmas holidays. The setting is beautiful but the service slow and the food was poor - very disappointing.

Storms River - My Verdict

Very beautiful and lovely accommodation overlooking the sea. Very busy in December.

We were our early the next morning, on our way to Bontebok for the night. We stopped in Knysna, checking out the Heads

Checking in at Bontebok was no hassel. The accommodation is very nice and overlooks the Breeda River

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”