Long Weekend At Storms*

PJL

Re: Long Weekend At Storms

Post by PJL »

After about an hour and a half of hiking and clambering over the rocks we arrived at the waterfall. It must be very impressive after heavy rains.

Arriving along the rocks

The waterfall

A visit to the waterfall wouldn't be complete without a swim in the pool at the bottom of the falls. It always seems to be in the shade so the water is frrrreeezing!!! The water coming down from the falls is actually warmer than the water in the pool at the bottom... and the rocks were dry enough this time for a sneaky climb up for a few jumps from height :-)

PJL

Post by PJL »

After the hike back to camp everyone relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. Particularly in the evening as we were again treated to a fantastic sunset O/\ O/\

PJL

Post by PJL »

Thanks for the comments everyone O0

Just to round off the weekend, we spent some time in the rock pools near the Oceanette accommodation - it's a great area for splashing around and climbing rocks. One of the amazing things in that area is that the rock pools are fed from one side by spray from the waves and then go over a series of mini waterfalls down to the sea on the other side. Hard to explain... but as perhaps this photo will show, there's a natural flow of water

There were some great vantage points to watch the sea's power

I picked out a spot to get some photos of the waves hitting the rocks and creating some nice spray

I had thought that I was plenty far enough away that the waves wouldn't get near me, but suddenly a seriously freak wave totally caught me out (much to everyone else's amusement) =O: =O:

Thinking that the shower was a good idea on a warm morning, Gareth tried to repeat the exercise. But just to prove what a freak the wave was, he only got wet when much closer to the waves

It was a nice end to a great stay at Storms. We thoroughly tired ourselves out over the weekend but came home wishing we could do it all again soon. \O

One final pic - I think it's some kind of moth - which we found on the rocks. Perhaps someone can identify?

Toko

Post by Toko »

Splashing photos ^Q^

Cream-striped Owl Moth Cyligramma latona

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”