Richtersveld September 2011 *

Toko

Richtersveld September 2011 *

Post by Toko »

The Richtersveld might be my favourite place in SA - though I never did a TR on this surreal masterpiece of geological formation. Here it goes:

It was not the start of our 2011 trip, we came from Namibia and had stocked up in Rosh Pinah.

The way down to the Orange rive is just magnificence:

We crossed the river via the ponton and checked in at the main camp Sendlingsdrif

White-backed Mousebird in the camp

Toko

Re: Richtersveld September 2011

Post by Toko »

Here is a family pic with my sisters, Richprins, me in the middle :shock:

I don't have family in Namibia, I just go there because it's beautiful

Toko

Post by Toko »

Thanks Lisbeth!

These horses live in the Namib close to a small town called Aus.
They were believed to be descendents of those from the German Schutztruppe. But some years ago research has revealed that these horses' forebears were part of the South African cavalry which had set up camp in the Namib. Their horses fled into the desert panicked by shots fired from a low flying German aircraft at the beginning of World War.

Toko

Post by Toko »

PRWIN wrote:Toko lovely photo's

Are those the wild horses of Namibia and where did you see them as I wan't to go some time and try and get them. Maybe next year :mrgreen:
PRIWN, these horses roam the eastern fringe of the Namib Naukluft Park, it’s an area where they usually find sufficient grazing. It is said in guide books that 100 and 150 horses share an area of 350 km² and that you are lucky if you find them. But there is a waterhole and they come to drink from the trough at Garub, about 20 km west of Aus, there is even a sign. From a hide you can watch the horses and take pictures or you can walk around and watch them from very close, they are not shy. I have been there several times and always found some horses there, this year there were lots, sometimes you see only a few, but you will see them.

You are all used to TRs in reverse - this was the day before we went down to Richtersveld.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Thanks for your kind comments, Mel, Prwin, Lisbeth, forestgump, Amoli, Lorraine, Richprins though the pics are not great...

For all horse lovers - here is a video with a Namaqua Chameleon in between :shock:

Toko

Post by Toko »

forestgump wrote:Too much horsing around here.
Ok \O here is the most common mammal in the Richtersveld

Toko

Post by Toko »

... and then there are some

but very shy :shock:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins wrote:Not part of my clan...we don't deal with those "deep rural" members of the family, they are so uncouth, really... 0=

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Post by Toko »

Perhaps rural but well behaved - they don't enter your chalet, don't block the road ... they have excellent manners (so are you sure that they are not related to your clan?)

Toko

Post by Toko »

Next episode: Weathering :shock:

Natural sculptures of granite are easy to photograph and they have funny names like "the Witches Family", "the Toadstool", "Queen Victoria", "the Hand of God", "The Toe", "The Mummy and the skreaming Skull".

Make up your mind and you will easily find out which ones these are...

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”