Mountains & Zebras*

PJL

Mountains & Zebras*

Post by PJL »

Mountain Zebra NP is about 3 hours away from us, and if it weren't for Addo I'm sure we would have visited it a number of times already. However we had never quite got around to it, and so we finally got ourselves organised and booked 3 nights - camping for our family and a chalet for both sets of grandparents who joined us on the trip O/\ O/\

The journey up was pretty smooth and there's currently only 1 stop/go for roadworks on the N10 so we made good time up to the park. Before we knew it (and before we'd really thought about cameras) we were trundling along the dusty dirt road which leads into the park. It didn't take long to spot some game with the big open spaces (unlike the dense bush in Addo), and we had distant views of black wildebeest which was a first for us. O:V

Fortunately my camera was within reach, so when we came across our first mountain zebra close to the road we could get some shots \O

It was the middle of the day, so there wasn't too much activity along to the restcamp other than a kudu trying to find some shade.

The camp is very nicely situated and seemed amazingly quiet. The staff were very helpful on check-in, giving us some pointers as to good routes etc.

We pitched camp and after everything was set up enjoyed some of the views from near the grandparents chalet

PJL

Re: Mountains & Zebras

Post by PJL »

After settling in we were keen to do an afternoon drive, and the helpful chap at reception had said that our car would be fine for doing all except one of the 4x4 trails. We decided to tackle the Juriesdam loop which takes you from the main access road up a steep hill onto a plateau. The trail up was fun, with a few passengers closing their eyes to the drops at the side of the car lol

It seemed like we were the first people along the route in a while, because there were a number of species either on or very close to the road. There were plenty of young red hartebeest around...

A tender moment between calf and mother

With their peace disturbed they soon got up and wandered off

We then came across another first for many of us... some blesbok and again with youngsters around.

One of the strange habits of blesbok (certainly in MZNP) was that they put their heads down when they aren't too happy about something. They weren't impressed with our car being near them and so strolled off with their heads rocking down. Even the little ones were starting to copy the motion :-)

As we continued around the loop we got close enough for some pics of springbok and black wildebeest [O]

PJL

Post by PJL »

Driving further round the loop we managed to spot some ground squirrels which was something the kids had never seen before. They loved watching them every time we found them during the trip, and I think they were secretly plotting on how to take one home with them 0' 0' =O: =O:

Heading down off the 4x4 route we took the Ubejane loop with a plan to head round it and back to camp for supper. A yellow mongoose was foraging near the side of the road and didn't seem too concerned by our car :-0

A little further round the loop it was bath time for this young zebra - a nice dust bath ^Q^ ^Q^

PJL

Post by PJL »

Continuing round Ubejane loop we came across a gemsbok strolling along and some more red hartebeest with little ones O/\

As we trundled along the hartebeest were keeping everyone's attention when I shouted out 'RHINO'! After a chorus of WHAT? WHERE? it came out of the bushes into view O\/ O\/ O\/

I could tell based on its direction of travel roughly where it might cross the road, so decided to try and get round to that point before it spooked. Thankfully this chap wasn't too concerned, and after we had stopped he came wandering closer and closer with the occasional pause to try and check what was going on.

When he was about 20m away from us he finally spooked and made a dash round the car and off into the bushes.

We were thrilled to have had such a great blackie sighting on our first day O/\ O/\
Heading back to camp the wind had picked up and clouds were rolling in. It turned out to be a bit of a freezing cold, damp and windy night so we didn't get too much sleep in the tent 0*\

PJL

Post by PJL »

The overnight rain had cleared, and left us with some clouds hugging the hillsides. It was a very cool morning - temperatures were touching 4 or 5 degrees at best :shock:
We took the top section of Kranskop loop to get over to Rooiplaat loop which is supposed to be good for general game. The views from Kranskop were spectacular

One of the great things about MZNP is that the place feels empty of visitors. Driving round Rooiplaat there wasn't another car to be seen and we were fortunate to have plenty of game close to the road

Whilst watching the animals, they suddenly started running, but we couldn't see any obvious reason for the minor stampede. However, all the movement startled a very healthy-looking jackal into motion which was good to see O\/ O\/

We continued round the loop with yet more general game. I couldn't quite understand why the cats weren't out using the area as a fast-food joint, but it wasn't to be. 0:

PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote:The black wildebeasts are really strange and those white eye lashes lol lol

Beautiful scenery ^Q^ ^Q^
They're even stranger when you see them close up. Their eyes are rather freaky!

PJL

Post by PJL »

Rooiplaat served up a few more mountain zebra posing nicely for us

One of the distinguishing features of mountain zebra is that they have a small dewlap which can been seen quite clearly in the photo below

It wasn't long and we were back at camp tucking into some well deserved breakfast and trying to plot the rest of the days moves. We had decided to treat ourselves to a guided evening game drive in the hope of getting to know some of the best places for the less-seen creatures, so that was on the agenda from 5pm. In the meantime we thought an exploration of the Sonnenrust 4x4 route was in order.

First up was a fantastic Gemsbok O:V

The kids then spotted more ground squirrels so that kept them entertained for ages :-0

Continuing along the trail, something small was moving at speed just in front of the car... some kind of agama which perhaps Toko can identify? X#X

Dust baths seemed to be part of the mountain zebra's daily routine, and this one was doing it in style :yes: :yes:

PJL

Post by PJL »

Thanks Lis, RP, Pumbaa, nan, Flutts, Mel & Alf for the comments and following along. \O \O
No caracal on this trip RP :-?

We were heading back towards camp when some small movement by some blesbok caught our attention... a very new-born calf O/\ O/\

I think we can have only missed the birth by minutes, as it was still very wet and there was a lot of afterbirth around. The poor thing wasn't sure what to do with it's legs lol

Mom decided to try and get it moving back towards the rest of the herd and the little one's attempt at walking/jumping had the kids in fits of laughter... the process went something like this:

Attempt to bound after mom...

Come to a stop...

Promptly fall over...

This was then repeated many times! No wonder the kids were laughing so much =O: =O:

Eventually they reached the rest of the herd where the little one was introduced to others

After leaving the calf in peace the only other sightings were what I think is a grey-winged francolin and some dassies

PJL

Post by PJL »

To kill a bit of time before the evening drive we set out on the camp hikes. There's a 1km as well as a 2.5km hike, but they both follow the same route to begin with. When the route split we were all feeling fresh so decided to go for the 2.5km version, however we hadn't quite taken into account the vertical distance that was covered on that route, so some grandparents found it a bit tougher than we expected (a sign would have been nice to warn us) 0*\ --00--

Anyway, it provided for some great views

We managed to get back in time for the evening drive which with our crowd was totally full, so I got to sit up front next to our knowledgable guide Dan. We had a good chat and it turns out that I'm actually a celebrity as he had seen the brown hyena photos that I had taken in Addo!

Out on the drive we came across one of the local boon troops

As well as a nice brown hooded kingfisher

There were a number of other regulars starting to move around but whilst we were driving along a bit of lucky coincidence gave a great sighting. I was trying to figure out a shape on top of a termite mound, and as Dan saw me looking that way he spotted a jackals ears in the long grass. As we came to a stop the 'jackal' decided to move and prove that it was in fact an aardwolf O/\ O/\ O\/ O\/

By the time I got my camera out it was already a good distance away, but at least I got some proof shots ^Q^ ^Q^

I was thrilled - this is the 3rd aardwolf I've managed to see, and I finally got some pics O/\

As we continued on, I spotted movement in the bushes which was a very shy blackie who wouldn't show him/herself for pics... still... 2 blackies in 2 days :-0 :-0

Dan then took us round to where the male lions had an eland kill. It was good to see them, but unfortunately they were totally stuffed and doing a good impression of the logs surrounding them so there wasn't really any photographic opportunity.

We stopped for sundowners and the kids polished off about half a tin of biltong. It was nice to be out the vehicle enjoying the clean air and sunset. X#X

Trundling back to camp the only other sighting of note was a spotted thick-knee

All-in-all it was a very productive drive, and we certainly got to see more species than if we had just been on the public roads \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

I have a careful balancing act when it comes to these types of trips. I'm always one for getting up early and hitting the park as soon as the gate opens and being out in the evening until the gates close again. However these early starts and late evenings seem to take their toll on the kids so the next morning we decided to sleep late and go on a morning drive whenever we were ready. :-)

Before venturing out I checked the sightings board and Dan was busy posting lion and cheetah markers. The lion and some of the cheetah are collared, so they get a GPS location reading from them once every 4 hours or so... not that it makes them any easier to find =O:
Based on lion and cheetah being somewhere in the vicinity of Juriesdam 4x4 trail that was the target for the morning. Plus I liked the fact that so far when we had taken a 4x4 route we hadn't seen any vehicles the whole time. :-0

Driving along the main road to the Juriesdam trail there were a number of brown hooded kingfishers enjoying the morning light

Once up on the Juriesdam plateau we found a couple of blue cranes which was another new species to tick off our visit to the park :yes:

Unfortunately there wasn't any sign of the lionesses, and although there were some good sized herds of zebra, wildebeest, hartebeest & blesbok around, they were a fair distance away from the road. Coming down off the plateau we spotted a couple of very nice common ground agamas (thanks for the ID help Toko O0 )

At the actual dam there were some red hartebeest sparring. The collision of horns made an amazing sound

There was also a nice herd of buffalo which we thought might cross the road near us, but decided it was better just to hang out nearer the water

Near the exit of the trail the cheetah weren't visible, but we managed to get close to some eland. These antelope were generally very skittish and ran away at the first sound of our car approaching, but this time they at least stopped for a pic before running off [O]

Heading back to camp the baboon troops were out foraging, with little ones hanging on for dear life at times lol

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”