Elephant Ears and Newbies

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Elephant Ears and Newbies

Post by Lisbeth »

I hope that you saw the video AFTER the trip! It is difficult to set up a tent in a tree top :-0

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Bushvel Jock - just checked and we had camp sites 7 and 8 -
I think it was eight we eventually camped on :-)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

If that had been me in the camp - I would have been scared to death! Respect to the lady who only said that she didn't like it...

Good promo video for telling people NOT to smuggle fruit in. :twisted:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Moggiedog wrote:Bushvel Jock - just checked and we had camp sites 7 and 8 -
I think it was eight we eventually camped on :-)
Looks like a nice site and very excited to meet the elies of Xakanaka. :twisted: Will remember to leave the oranges and apples at home. ;-)

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

sorry about the slow travels - but I had problems with my own computer - then I couldn't access the forum. Seems these problems may be behind me - so I will try and get a few updates done.
Got the terrible job over the next two weeks of house sitting some animals on the South Coast so may not be on as I am not sure if I will have internet connections but hopefully you will rejoin my interrupted travels O-/

Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Really enjoying your tale \O
Had such a laugh when i watched the vid =O:
Cant wait for more 0()

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

A short game drive to sass out the lie of the land and we headed back to camp. Plenty of bird life and general game seen. Kudu running across the road between the vehicles. The one couple had their rooftop tent set up already so it was only four vehicles. Newbie had one problem - his excitement as so great he had the bad habit of driving to close behind the car in front ( I have mentioned this previously) - especially with elephant around.
ImageImage
We were tail-end Charley - which is not the best position to be in as it is normally the front vehicle that sees the game - the middle vehicles - and the last vehicle sees a dust or vapor trail - depending on the animal concerned.
Back at camp the fire was blazing away sending dancing fire imps into the fading sky.
Drinks in hand and the tantalizing smell of braaing meat filled the air. I decided to walk down for a shower before the light had been totally obliterated by the fast approaching darkness as I didn't want to have to bug anyone for a lift. I had been given strict instruction's by ever over concerned BIL and SIS regarding me walking around alone at night. It was easier to agree than 'cause any friction or arguments. (nice to be loved 0/0 )
I did meet a smaller mammal on my way dow. Showing no sign of fear it headed with a set mind on its chose path.
Walking out and heading back towards our camp I had an encounter with an elephant on a mission. Fortunately he was not very concerned about this little troll walking up his pathway and she was certainly not going to argue and gave way to the big gray mass without even having to thing about it.
By now the light had faded and the evening was serene and tranquil as only the bush can be.
Enjoying the moments of calmness - our reveries were broken by blood curdling screams - the banging of pots - the slamming of car doors - and the night sky lit up by powerful torches flashing through the night like spotlights on a fighter plane.
We all stood up and low and behold an elephant could be seen raiding the next camps tables, cars and generally making a nuisance of himself. Deciding he had had enough of these noisy inconsiderate people he strolled towards our camp. We watched him make his way closer and closer until he touched our pathetic rope fence. He turned - walked across the veld and carried on on his merry way along the road.
Once again we settled down to enjoy the smells and sounds of the night. A quick trip down to the ablution block and time to snuggle down into our beds for a good nights sleep.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

More scary elephant encounters. Well at least a bit of an uneasy encounter...

Like your evening atmosphere. Makes me want to be there right away.
Especially if there is cold drinks and the smell of braai. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Beautiful shots of Moremi and elephants at camp. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Can't wait to get there with only 48 days to go. Just wonder what elephant stories we are going to tell. O-/ O-/ O-/

Don't want to miss out and made some 0() 0() 0() 0() 0() while waiting.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
nan

Post by nan »

nice souvenirs \O

^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Travel Tales of Botswana Parks”