Camera Protection

Discuss the technical side of photography
PJL

Camera Protection

Post by PJL »

Hey everyone, I'd be interested to hear any tricks/tips on how you keep your camera gear clean while out in the dust of Africa - particularly while driving. I'm someone who simply must have the windows down when on a game drive and I prefer my gear to be quickly accessible rather than zipped up in a bag, so my camera is often sitting on my lap covered by an old t-shirt etc.... but I think there must be better options. Pillow case? Huge zip-lock bags?

X#X

Duke

Re: Camera Protection

Post by Duke »

Windows open for sure PJL \O

You get protective head covers used in the Healtcare industry - we use this to cover the lens and keep the camera/lens under a towel (pretty same as a T shirt)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I heard of a tip a while ago to use a shower cap to cover the camera body. I've got one in my camera bag but never used it! =O:

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

In Afganistan, the US troops were wondering why the Brits were getting boxes and boxes of condoms delivered when there were only men deployed at the base.

It turned out they were using them on the end of their gun barrels to keep the dust out! O:V

What about a super-large condom on your lens PJL? O:V

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
PJL

Post by PJL »

=O: =O: =O: =O: =O:
Camera 'Protection' O**

nan

Post by nan »

pretentious O-/ =O: =O: =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

I just cover my kit on the front passenger seat with a bush jacket for quick access and I have a few tricks to reduce dust caused by speeding approaching cars (All my windows are always open) ..I see this huge dust cloud approaching at SPEED . I pull to the right hand side and park at 45 degrees facing into the dunes/bush. The approaching car slows down as I am ficticiously scanning the bush with binos to create INTEREST. the car eventually slowly stops bonnet to bonnet at my car as the speeder driver scans the direction I am looking ... The dust slowly settles behind to nothing ..I then start and pull back and draw level with the confused inquisitive drivers now open window ...' Mating Doves ' I say and move off with a dust free car as a result and I have stopped a speeder in his tracks

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
nan

Post by nan »

well done \O
I do almost the same... against the speeder... I stay in the middle of the road 0' ... "normal is a nana (girl)" =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

=O: =O: \O

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”