Heartstring Moments - Springtime in the Kalahari 2018

ExFmem

Re: Heartstring Moments - Springtime in the Kalahari 2018

Post by ExFmem »

Thanks for putting up with my occasional silliness Sis, Pumbaa, RP, Mel, and Flutts. Whether the BEF was scratching its back, trying to dislodge parasites, or just having a jolly good time, I have no idea, but it was quite entertaining. The other two just seemed to look at him quizzically, then sneak away, hoping it wasn't contagious, or hereditary ;-) ;-)

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

After spending the first night at TweeR, then the next 4 at the KTC, we moved on to the Nossob side. We stayed one night at Nossob, 2 at Grootkolk, then 3 more in the new RiverView accom. at Nossob.

Before moving on, here are some pics of odds 'n ends of our first few days:

We discovered this Plover couple with their nest up on the overlook area near Urikaruus on Sept. 20th.

Can you spot the egg?

We continued to check on them throughout our stay, hoping to see some tiny newborns. Our last check was Oct. 15, so 26 days later they still hadn't hatched.

However, we did spy this chick in the middle of the main road.

It assumed what I suppose is a survival strategy by standing perfectly still, rather than moving when we backed up to see what that small lump was. Another car passed by going in the opposite direction, and never even saw the chick. 0= It was a miracle no one had run over it yet. My SO got out of the car and gently coaxed it back over the verge where it reunited with its parents, thankfully. 0/0

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Our trip to Nossob was relatively uneventful. My least favorite stretch of road in the KTP is between Dikbaardskolk and Nossob camp :no: - we just never seem to find much of real interest there, a semi-snoozer for us. <zz>

We did pass a Cape Cobra very close to the roadside, so we backed up to try and watch it hunt.

As we got closer it decided to stand its ground and take on our 4x4 Doublecab rather than run away.

"Go Ahead. MAKE MY DAY!" was the very Clint Eastwood attitude it adopted.

At Rooikop we found another predator w/ prey,

and an ill-mannered Jackal.

That evening I went out to try and find Barking Geckos, which is WAY harder (at least for us) than it seems it should be, with them seemingly EVERYWHERE from all the "barks", but nowhere to be seen. I suppose they feel the vibrations of our footsteps and retreat back into their burrows, and boy are they PATIENT! Then darkness sets in, adding another obstacle to finding one. Anyway, I am also very patient, so managed a couple shots.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A nice crowned plover story ^Q^ ^Q^

Great pics of the cobra! Normally they disappear so quickly O\/

I definitely prefer the Aoub side and I don't like Nossob O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

ExFmem,

simply brilliant shots X#X Not only all the different birdies but also the many different antelopes, the cape cobra and then my favourite the barking gecko - Brilliantly captured \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

As they say, Ex! ^Q^

Doggy types sometimes roll in dung...allegedly to mask their scents? -O-

I love the eagle drinking shot, with the feet visible underwater and the eyelid closed! [O]

Stupid bird in the road! 0*\

And patience pays off! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely pics all round!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

WOW, those barking geckos shots are magnificent! I will have to admit that I'm not that patient -
even though I too feel they should be everywhere by the concert they raise when night comes.

That mini plover is astonishing! Happy to hear you kinda safed it O:V

Lucky you that you don't only like the stretch between Dikbaards and Nossob :twisted:
For us it's almost all the way from Melkvlei to Nossob, most of the time it even stretches all the
way to Twee. 0-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Richprins wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:18 am As they say, Ex! ^Q^

Doggy types sometimes roll in dung...allegedly to mask their scents? -O-
0*\ 0*\ I should have figured that out simply based on my own dog's behavior. Thanks!

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Mel wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 pm Lucky you that you don't only like the stretch between Dikbaards and Nossob :twisted:
For us it's almost all the way from Melkvlei to Nossob, most of the time it even stretches all the
way to Twee. 0-
:yes: :yes: I actually agree with you. We had crossed the Upper Dune Rd, so I picked that spot, but in reality the entire stretch from Melkvlei to Nossob is a snoozer. \O

Thanks for hanging in here Flutts, Sis, and Pumbaa 0/0

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”