The Photographer’s Guide to the Kruger National Park

Discuss interesting books on conservation matters
Lisbeth
Site Admin

The Photographer’s Guide to the Kruger National Park

Post by Lisbeth »

JUNE 3, 2019 - Romi Boom

Planning a Kruger trip? A new guide by pro photographers holds the key to good pictures. Learn from the folks who spent 517 days in the park and make your photos sing. By Romi Boom

If you’re on holiday in the Kruger National Park, you surely want to relax. But some homework will infinitely improve your sightings opportunities and the images you capture. It’s all about attention to detail, more detail, and more detail, say the authors ofThe Photographer’s Guide to the Kruger National Park.

Picture by Mario Fazekas

This comprehensive 764-page ebook has taken seven years to compile. Based on lessons gained in the Kruger Park over the past 20 years, the authors’ experience will help enormously with your own planning. The take home message from Mario and Jenny Fazekas and co-author Trevor Barnett is that you should know what to expect, what to anticipate, and what to do when the big moment arrives.

The whole idea of the book (which reads like an all-encompassing trip report) is to enable you to make the best use of your limited time when visiting the Kruger National Park and surrounding areas. The goal is to not only find the animals, but be able to capture good photographs of them as well. It is essential reading before you make your reservations, and even more so when you are in the park, before you set out on your daily game drive.

Picture by Mario Fazekas

Suggested drives and viewpoints

Since most people approach Kruger from the south, the book starts there and systematically covers the entire park. The focus is on the camps/lodges, bridges, waterholes and routes that have enabled the authors to get their best nature photographs year after year. All the game reserves, hotels and B&Bs outside the park, which form the Greater Kruger National Park, are included.

For each area they provide suggested drives, with maps showing you what to expect around the next turn, not quite kilometre by kilometre but judging from the attention to specifics, it may well have been! They have even marked secret/hidden viewpoints that they know about on the maps, with the caution that you shouldn’t drive too fast otherwise you’ll drive right past them.

Photo tips from the pros

Each section features photographic lessons and tips that will help improve your chances of getting the money shot. Although everyone knows that patience is key to good wildlife photos, few people use it. Who hasn’t come across a leopard and, as the car numbers build up, watched it get edgy and disappear into the bush? Most people then leave. Top tip: If you stick around, chances are that the leopard will return. Stick around, sip your coffee and, with a little luck, it may reappear in the next 15 minutes or so.

Another trick of the trade is not to keep moving your car, edging closer to where you last saw something under a bush. Sit it out and cross your fingers, for the animal may well get up and approach the road. This will give you the opportunity to take good, clear photos, not average ones. Plan ahead and picture in your mind what you want. And don’t forget to take everything your may need: spare batteries, memory cards, snacks and drinks.

Picture by Trevor Barnett

The informative text is interspersed with anecdotes of the authors’ many adventures, which make for amazing reading. You’d be hard pressed to find a better teaser for your next visit. And if it’s leopards you’re chasing, don’t simply envy them their extraordinarily good luck – a consistent average of 1.2 leopard sightings per day in the north and south of Kruger is not shabby! Read how to find the spotted cats and then do as they do.

Get the guide

The Photographer’s Guide to the Greater Kruger National Park is the fourth ebook by Mario and Jenny. For US$27.00, less than the cost of one night’s camping in Kruger, they share 764 pages of tips, tricks and techniques.

Wild fans can purchase the guide at 30% discount until the end of July 2019. The promo code is the word K2K.

The Photographer’s Guide to the Kruger National Park by Mario & Jenny Fazekas, Trevor Barnett. US$27 (approx. R400). Available from www.kruger-2-kalahari.com.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Re: The Photographer’s Guide to the Kruger National Park

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm JUNE 3, 2019 - Romi Boom

Although everyone knows that patience is key to good wildlife photos, few people use it. Who hasn’t come across a leopard and, as the car numbers build up, watched it get edgy and disappear into the bush? Most people then leave. Top tip: If you stick around, chances are that the leopard will return. Stick around, sip your coffee and, with a little luck, it may reappear in the next 15 minutes or so.

The real trick is go to areas where there will be NO build up of cars or even better no other cars ..Waiting 15 mins in Prime Golden light Hour in the hope of a frazzled leopard returning (the tame L Sabie Cardbard Cut out variety do sometimes ) is a big no no in my life ..I move on to the next sighting opportunity in order not to waste the Light ..$ 27 is far more than I pay for 1 night camping in Kruger ..False claim Boet

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Maybe it can be helpful to others ;-)

In any case these kind of books are too big to take along, if you do not want to study in the evening for the next days outing O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:26 pm Maybe it can be helpful to others ;-)

In any case these kind of books are too big to take along, if you do not want to study in the evening for the next days outing O**
It's an ebook. So doesn't weight much!

But I am old fashioned and actually prefer books made out of paper ..0..

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, I also prefer paper books, but they are also getting pricey! 0:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

My "problem" is that I have hundreds of wildlife and nature related books.
No way can I bring even a fraction of them with me on a trip to SA.
.....and I need the space/weight in my suitcase to bring my new acquisitions home --00--

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Are none of them available in UK? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:37 am Are none of them available in UK?
Most are.
But as a generalisation, for a new book, it's about half the price if I buy them in SA.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

For eg:

Chamberlains Waders:
NHBS (UK Book supplier) £30 + postage (approx £5)
Exclusive R434 (approx £23)

Frogs & Frogging in SA
NHBS £28 + postage
Exclusive R270 (£14)

To use 2 books I have bought in the last few years as an example.

And one or two books, would be no big deal. But I tend to go a bit overboard when I am in SA --00--

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

okie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:49 am Hmmm..... I like this :
Quote ....... they provide suggested drives, with maps showing you what to expect around the next turn, not quite kilometre by kilometre but judging from the attention to specifics, it may well have been! They have even marked secret/hidden viewpoints that they know about on the maps, with the caution that you shouldn’t drive too fast otherwise you’ll drive right past them...........Unquote

Of course , the leopard in accompanying photograph , may not be there any more , but hey ..... who cares ,.......... been there , done that ............ O**

Ag nee wat man , ek soek my eie goed om na te kyk . I prefer to find my own things to look at ;-)
Exactly I find my own stuff ..Sitting at night around the camp fire and listening to lion communications and then triangulating the data in my head and Boom lady 'Luck' happens generally the next morning

Return to “Books & Recommended Reading”