Visa/Travel Restrictions to be Eased

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Visa/Travel Restrictions to be Eased

Post by Lisbeth »

Travelling with children (under 18)
Since 2015 all parents travelling to South Africa with children had been required to show the child’s full unabridged birth certificate upon arrival. Additional documentation was required for children travelling with only one parent.

On 1 December 2018, the Immigration Act was amended. For visitors from visa exempt countries, including the UK, the revised requirements are:

Minors travelling with both parents do not need to supply additional documentation. However, South Africa reserves the right to request a copy of the child’s unabridged birth certificate before granting entry, at the discretion of individual immigration officers. Whilst South Africa has said it is unlikely documentation will be requested, we recommend that you’re prepared to present the unabridged birth certificate to border officials upon arrival, particularly where one parent’s surname differs from the child’s. The full unabridged birth certificate should list the child’s details and both parent’s details. The abridged (short) birth certificate which only lists the child’s particulars will not be accepted.

Minors travelling without one or both parents may be required to show a full unabridged birth certificate, in addition to other documentation set out in the 2015 Immigration Act. We recommend you are prepared to present this documentation upon arrival. These requirements are set out under Section 4, part C, Amendment of regulation of the Regulations.

School groups should use this consent form in addition to the documents listed above. This special dispensation applies to all schools registered with the Department for Basic Education and its equivalent abroad.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Lisbeth wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:36 pm
On 1 December 2018, the Immigration Act was amended. For visitors from visa exempt countries, including the UK, the revised requirements are:

we recommend that you’re prepared to present the unabridged birth certificate to border officials upon arrival,

Minors travelling without one or both parents may be required to show a full unabridged birth certificate, in addition to other documentation set out in the 2015 Immigration Act. We recommend you are prepared to present this documentation upon arrival.
So effectively you still need the documentation with you 0*\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

particularly where one parent’s surname differs from the child’s

:-?

Not very clear this...yes or no please? 0-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Up to this change, it was the airlines that were policing this. If they fly you without the appropriate documentation, they are obliged to return you to your country of origin
So how is the conversation at check in going to go now??

The next time I will be flying with my kids to SA is likely to be October 2020.
Hopefully there will be more clarity by then

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Do your kids have your surname? ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

birth certificate
I suppose that you have those -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Richprins wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am Do your kids have your surname?
Yes
Lisbeth wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 am
birth certificate
I suppose that you have those
Yes - full birth certificate

The problem was either myself or SO travelled often with kids separately. So needed a notarised affidavit giving the parent permission to travel with the kids.
Which meant going to a notary, filling in forms, copies of passports etc.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

When I travelled to the US and UK with the Brat without my SO I just needed a letter signed by him giving permission for us to travel without him.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I think that was before the stupid rule became effectual :yes:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

And that was travelling to 1st world countries. O**

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”