Insect or Invertebrates Identification - DONE

Discussions and information on all Southern African Invertebrates

Moderator: Klipspringer

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: Insect or Invertebrates Identification

Post by Klipspringer »

Lisbeth wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:55 pmHoverfly?
:yes: Well done, Lisbeth ^Q^

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Richprins wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:39 pm A small bee? -O-

viewtopic.php?p=529073#p529073

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Insect or Invertebrates Identification - DONE

Post by Richprins »

:ty: :ty: Klippies!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

"How's that for a diagnosis?" \O 0/0 Looks good to me!

Would you mind handling/correcting the entry please since you have so much better grasp of all this than I do? I guess all the incorrect info. can just be deleted -O- Let me know what you want me to do, otherwise I'll stay out of it. :yes:
:ty:

I will try to find other pics of the Kruger one you mentioned so maybe we can add it as well, if it turns out to be the same.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

I did the entry for C. denudatus, but didn't include much info. The article from 1996 includes info. on the subfamily, but so much of it is too technical for me. It also describes a couple of individual specimens in great detail, but it, too, is highly technical, and of course variations occur from one specimen to the next, so I also left it out.

If you want to add those or anything else you have, feel free - you're the Master Instructor here [Luv] :yes:

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:54 pm I did the entry for C. denudatus, but didn't include much info. The article from 1996 includes info. on the subfamily, but so much of it is too technical for me. It also describes a couple of individual specimens in great detail, but it, too, is highly technical, and of course variations occur from one specimen to the next, so I also left it out.

If you want to add those or anything else you have, feel free - you're the Master Instructor here [Luv] :yes:

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Have added some bits

This fly is the best ever O/\ ^Q^ X#X O\/ O/\

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:47 pm "How's that for a diagnosis?" \O 0/0 Looks good to me!

Would you mind handling/correcting the entry please since you have so much better grasp of all this than I do? I guess all the incorrect info. can just be deleted -O- Let me know what you want me to do, otherwise I'll stay out of it. :yes:
:ty:

I will try to find other pics of the Kruger one you mentioned so maybe we can add it as well, if it turns out to be the same.
I want you to look carefully at the head shape and decide which species it is lol lol lol
IMO they differ in the degree of protrusion and shape of eyes

You tell me if we have A parva or vicina 0= =O:

Please take another look O0

BTW: what about the spider. Maybe you find a larger image and we can ID that, too

African Green Lynx Spider, Peucetia viridis ???

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Thanks for adding to the C. denudatus entry. I left out some of the description (the parts saying “thorax black” and “abdomen black”) as there is no black on my fly, so found that somewhat confusing.

As to the Antistia, I was basing my answer on this part of your entry:
A. vicina can be told from the other species in the Genus by the lack of dark patches on the the elytra. If you compare with the photos above, you can see the dark markings on the elytra, which your Antistia does not sport.

When I look at the head comparisons, the A. vicinia looks closer - less protrusion of the eyes and on a more equal plane with the top of the head, as well as the inner contour of the eye being straighter (the A. parva seems to have a little bit of a curve inner eye). I vote A. vicinia.

Okay, off to look for the Kruger cutie with the spider.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

2016 Kruger

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

2016 Kruger

Return to “Invertebrates”