Kruger - 2 Weeks of Camping Joy!!! *

lowveldboy

Re: Kruger - 2 Weeks of Camping Joy!!!

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:21 pm

19 October - Continued
I left my peacefull setting and started my way back too camp. Zebras and giraffes were my 1st sightings of this part.

I approached Rabelais hut, right opposite the hut I got a whiff of something dead. I stopped and scanned the area, and found only a head or two of some vultures about 20m in from the road, But that is as far as the sighting got. I scanned to see if the cause of the feeding frenzy was close by, but I did not have hope, it would have chased the vultures (most likely). One fellow did show himself though ...

We have all seen a lot of mother baby cominations in the park over the years, as have I, but I have never seen this combination before ...

I arrived back at camp, had a cold one and decided to go for a walk around the camp. Some of the photos I took on my walk-about ...

Back at my site, I had some visitors ...

I left on my late afternoon drive and just drove down the H7 for a bit and then back. My drive delivered some regulars in Zebras, Impalas and Giraffe. I came across a fellow forum member and a previous english teacher of mine ...

His manners need some attention though as now matter how much I called he ignored me :evil: :twisted:

I saw my 1st slender mongoose in a long time ...

and I finished my day with one of my favourite animals . steenbokkie

I got too camp and was rather sad that tonight was my last night in Maroela, but at the same time looking forward to Tsendze. My fire was going strong despite the winds' best attempt to put it out, and my 1st hyeana of the trip did his patrols. I went to bed early, but only fell asleep a lot later amidst the night sounds.

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:53 pm

October 20
Today was the best day sightings wise, but beauty is not about animals alone. I enjoyed this day for it's amazing views and the solitude. I left Maroela at gate opening and did not see another human until I stopped at Timbavati Picnic spot. That was 5.5 hours all by myself. Wish that happened every day in the park. Along the H7 I saw some Zebras with youngsters ...

and the early morning sun really showed the stunning beauty of this Hadeda ...

I turned up the S39 - a road that does not usually give me the best of sightings, but I still enjoy driving it and some of the scenery is just breathtaking. I did however found a SSJ in a big hurry ..

and a Hyeana in such a hurry that I did not even get a photo. Vultures were plentifull near Leeubron w/h ...

Before I reached Timbavati, I saw my 1st ellies of the day as well as this bushbuck. Wonder what is going through its mind? - "Can he see me?" :lol:

I stopped at Timbavati saw some kudus down in the riverbed but very far off. I continued up the S39, and again not another vehicle till I got to the tar road, and at Ratelpan Hide saw this Spoonbill with an itch -

and a a croc making most of the sun ...

I did see some impala and Ellies in the riverbed just past Letaba, but what fascinated me the most was the tracks left in the sand ...

Sightings then really dried up till not too far before Tsendze. My 1st Kori bustard of the trip, I only I knew then what was too come later on.

A bit further on another Kori and then at the turn-off to Mopani some Giraffes. I checked in quickly, stocked up on Ice and Wood and set off straight to Tsendze. I was really looking forward to this camp I have heard so much off. I was not dissapointed at all. AMAZING!!!!! Found my spot (no 26, due to the advice from these forums - Thanks Guys!) and there was some people getting ready to set up camp. I showed them my permit, they tried to convince me to take 27 - Far from the fence - NO WAYS!!!! They saw moving was their only option and did that with "pelican faces" (thanks for the expression Bushcraft). I pitched my tent in the company of 3 Waterbuck, one a little baby. Took out my chair and decided - Why drive? It is quiet, got some good company against the fence and peace and quiet. The night was slightly ruined by the neighbours' conversation that I could hear word for word. At least it ended around 8, and then I could really enjoy the bush.

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 pm

October 21

I had an amazing night in Tsendze. Today was the day I was going to meet ValandRich for brunch, so I made doubly sure about having all the food packed in the cooler. I also saw a white Rhino this day, although exact location will be withheld. Never seen one this far north.

There was only one direction I was going to head in - S143. My route was turn right towards mooiplas waterhole, where the Impi's was recoverng after a long night, and then down past the experimental burn plots. At burn plot 1 I was busy reading when I had this strange feeling I was being watched. We all know that feeling, and it is usually true, and this was no exception ...

I was being watched, AWESOME!!!!!! I drove closer, and then they posed for me - Double Sphinx (well almost)

mommy showed up not too much later ..

and then some close-up of mum, that did seem to suffer from mange.

and a close up of baby ...

I arrived at the junction and headed north up the S50 past the Nshawu pans. It is such a lovely area of the park, and one of my favourites. In Nshawu 2, an empty pan that was going to prove very profitable over the next few day ...

My 1st Tsetsebe of the trip, and I loved it. I turned onto the S143and getting close to Thiyongeni found a Kori bustard, If only I knew about my Kori sighting later on in the trip.

I love Kori bustard, then again I love all living creatures (even mods :twisted: ). At the waterhole, the usual Zebra's and Blue Wildebeest was around as well as some more Tsetsebe. I also had mu 2nd Mother/Child combo for the day ...

I realized ime was catching up with me and I made a move towards Mooiplaas picnic spot, but not without getting a picture of a Little Bee-eater ...

I arrived at Mooiplaas 15 minutes later than the agreed time, but Val and Rich were very understanding. I cooked us a mean heart foundation brunch, that included lots of bacon, frien tomatoes, fried onions and eggs - all braied in heart foundation marg. So they will be happy. While sitting there we were visited by some bushbucks and only 1 quiet family. What a lovely time meeting up with such a wonderfull couple. Thanks Val and Rich, I had a awesome time. Before we knew it was time to go. They left for Phala and I- well, I headed towards the S143 again ...

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:20 pm

October 21 - Continued

I left the meet heading towards Thiyongeni. No sighting, but the waterhole made up for that. Can't believe they are going to close that waterhole :roll: Understand the reasons, I think, but there are some useless waterholes. They want to attract more people by building hotels, and then they close one of the best waterholes for gameviewing. Explain that to me!!! :roll: In any case, here are some pics of all the life around the waterhole - all taken while I was sitting and enjoying the pe4ace and quiet.

another mother /child combo

There was also 3 Kori bustards and a scretary bird. I did catch the "better" side of an elephant walking away as well. I continued and found some more Tsetsebe (at the very productive wtaerhole mentioned earlier) as well as a Brown snake eagle ...

and and egret searching for some grub ..

I saw some more Tsetsebe's and a Lot of Plains game (Zebra's Giraffe, impala), that was interrupted by some buffaloes. There was also an ellie cooling down ..

At the turnoff to the camp site, I saw some Waterbuck ...

I arrived at camp and realise I had no neighbours, I smiled. I braaied again - what else will compliment a few beers. I went to bed with sound of hyeana's filling the air.

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:42 pm

October 22 - The Truth about Sprocky Day :twisted:

The started by some guys at the kitchen trying to convince me the sound we were listening too, were lions and not, like I was saying, Ground Hornbills. The short story, 10m from the gate the Ground hornbills were scratching around for food and the people never stopped when they saw I was parked there. -O

I needed to refill on certain necesities (read - Beer), and also pick up the Sprockmod for a visit this day. Sprocky was earning a living untill 1 the afternoon, so I had time for a drive. Headed up to, yes you guessed it, Thiyongeni!!!! Then down the S50 and via the H14 to Phala. The 1st thing that attracted my attention was this green tree in a brown dry lansdscape

I then had a Buffaloe crossing and my 1st Yellowbilled Ocpecker of the trip ...

My next stop was to admire this Dark chanting Goshawk ...

I arrived at Thiyongeni, and as usual, life was abundant. Zebras, Wildebeest, Side Striped Jackals, Black backed Jackals, Tsetsebe's (with an even better pic of the youngster) and 3 Kori Bustards.

I left happy. Notice the blue sky and the heat you can "see". this pics were all taken before 07h30 in the morning. I already had to switch over to "cool" drinks rather than Coffee.

Then As I turned onto the S50, another Parent Baby combo. I have seen planty of ostiches in the past, the 1st ever for the youngsters though.

Just before I reached the tar road, a nice potential tusker ...

Sighting dried up, and not surprising as temp was going into the low 40's. I arrived at Phala, picked up Sprocky and LO, filled up on important items and headed back to camp. We did not see much for various(unmentionable) reasons!!! :oops: At the camp, Sprocky put up his tentand I got to get some bread mixed to be baked. Started the fire and then the fun started and did not stop the whole evening.

The 1st pic is of Sprocky being a good dad (and I have to say he was very attentive to LO at all times, good dad and good guy, as expected from 'mites) and braaing some marshmallows with LO. That apparently tasted brilliant with the beer :twisted: The second a ghostly pic of LO, and lastly LO enjoying the "marshmallows" of dad's labour ...

Then the struth started coming out. Let me 1st say - I had my doubts about posting these, but we need to be honest and open as members of this forum. It is in that light that I post the following stories -

Story 1 - LO and Sprocky needed, well ... to answer natures call! They went, but did not return for a long time. The reason for the time lapse, according to LO (which I do believe was telling the truth) was this conversation as they exited the ablutions-
Sprocky - "Which way to our campsite?"
LO - "This way"
Sprocky - "Are your sure? I don't know!"

The rest I will not post, but the conclusion, LO arrived walking in the front with Sprocky following. :roll: Beer does strange things to people :twisted:

Story 2 Well this is more about Sprocky hiding something from us. I only made deductions from clues left.

Clue 1 - LO - "Mommy?" :shock: , but kids can have a slip sometimes.

Clue 2 - Immediate answer. Sprocky - "Yes monkey(His petname for LO)" :shock: :shock: Was that a slip or the truth

Clue 3 - This picture taken the next day. Sprocky coming back from a "nature's call" Notice the sign on the lft of this pic

I rest my case - 3 strikes and you are out!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:twisted: :twisted: Sorry Bud, but I had to.

Food was taken very late, and then with compliments of Sprocky, the night was finished off by a glass or 2 of Amarula. A great day and night, with a good friend. AWESOME!!! Thansk Sprocks, we need to have more such meets! Went to bed late, and sleep happened almost immediatly!

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:24 pm

:roll: I need to finish this sometime, well to do that I need to continue. So let me do that :lol: I will not go into much detail, as I can not remember that much anymore O/ O/ man age is a real bastard.

October 23
I do remember this day we headed (me and sprocky remember :roll: ) down to Letaba and then onto Phala.

Some birds was on the menu ...

Bateleur

Brown Snake Eagle

Before the Letaba high water bridge some Cheetah -

From the bridge a Saddle Bill Stork

The water was very clear

A big boy

I do remember the heat - and even RP felt it

There was the photogenic Greenbacked heron

I will try and update more often than every 3 months :twisted: :P

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

October 24
This day I was moving up to Punda Maria, but not before visiting Tropic of Capricorn and Nshawu Waterholes.

Hyeana

Also a kill. The view was not great but some clear photo's

Also Reedbuck - always special ....

And the king of the hill ...

On the way up I also found a pair of Nyala bulls in stand off

The loser sulked and I went on to enjoy the scenery around Punda. This green Baobab really stood out for me ...

The birdlife on the Mahonie loop always delivers something special.

Wattled Starling (although a youngster)

Violet Backed Starling

Nyala again :lol:

And no trip around Mahonie will be complete without a favourite of mine - Sharpe's Grysbok

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm

October 25
When I visit Punda, my day goes something like this. Mahonie loop, Klopperfontein, Crooks Corner, Klopperfontein, quick camp stop, Mahonie loop, braai. Easy, and this time was no difference.

The views around mahonie is amazing - like the euphorbia's against the mountain

at the far entrance is this Maroela, reckoned to be the biggest in the country. It is protected from elephants by sharp rocks at it's base.

Found only in the northern area, and the resident bunch of the Mahonie Loop - Crested Guineafowl

Punda is also more about the small things. Flap Necked Chameleon

Duiker

Grysbok

Tree Agama

The birdlife is prolific, and at Klopperfontein you have the perfect Opportunity for great photos.

Greater Blue Eared Starling

Woolly Neck Stork

Grey Heron

The resident Hamerkop

Water Thick-Knee

The bigger animals is also regurlarly found here. Like these buffs, chillin in the cool water

Or Nyala

Or the ever present Tsetsebe

Back at camp, the hide is always worth a visit. You get a chance to get face to face with some big boys, like elephants and buffaloes

The birdlife is also worth the wait and the patience. Bateleur (and a bumshot with a difference)

I was lucky, to spot in the distance - African Harrier Hawk (Gymnogene)

as well as jumping around the trees - Black Backed Puffback

This day showed some special regulars, the next day would show the rest ..

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveldboy on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm

October 26
Another day in PARADISE or better known as Punda Maria :lol:

On the way up to Crooks corner, well at Klopperfontein dam, again

Zebra

Steenbok

Tsetsebe

and the resident Hamerkop

On the Levhuvhu river bridge.

Fish Eagle, was really awesome to be that close to such an amazing bird

The Pafuri picnic spot is a birders paradise

Water Thick-Knee

Goliath Heron

Giant Kingfisher

Wood Sandpiper

and do not forget the bee nest

The road up to and including Crooks Corner delivers lots

Crocodiles

Nyala

Ostrich

Southern Ground Hornbill

White Crowned Lapwing

Lizzard Buzzard

and then on the way back ...

at Klopperfontein - AGAIN. A 1st in KNP for me

ELAND

they dissapeared into the bush

and so I went back to camp for a braai with new friends

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Posted by Lowveld on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:47 pm

October 27
My Last day in Punda, What a sad day indeed.

The mahonie started of the day with plentifull sightings of impala, buffaloes, elephants, nyala, kudu's, zebra's and Southern Ground Hornbill

Klopperfontein was quiet in comparison with the previous days. I decided to head down the main road back to camp. Well I was rewarded ..

A single bull Eland - but a good speciman.

The afternoon was spent on Mahonie loop - again. In the beginningn there was a very impressively groomed beard. No not mine :roll:

RP's offspring was about as well

The emerald spotted wood dove is always a welcome sight

Then a lifer for me - broadbilled roller

and a 2nd seperate sighting

The day was completed with a African Hawk Eagle

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”