Whistlestop dreams at Tsendze

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Whistlestop dreams at Tsendze

Post by Lisbeth »

There are solar panel special lights that trap the insects, but I don't remember what they are called. You can probably Google them \O

Is there room for all four of you in the tent? :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

Hahaha, thanks for the concern about the tent size. It fits 4 of us, plus bags very well thanks. Its a 3x3x3 Tentco and we love it. We use fold-able high density foam mattresses which dare I say it are even more comfortable than my bed at home ;)

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

krugerbru wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:09 pm We need to talk about the Cicada's though. What is your formula for keeping them away? You obviously need light, but they seem to want to more than you. It was incessant. Some people say you need to invest in a red light. Is this the formula?
If you go in Summer to the bush especially you have to put up with snakes , Malaria, Heat , Huge storms, Mopani worm Carpets, and insects like noisy Cicada's. If you need to trap chase away , poison (as in Ants ..Some people actually use poison !!! @#$ @#$ @#$ ) insects then you have to seriously ask yourself if Tsendze is the place for you..Maybe a airconditioned hut at Satara all nicely fumigated against the 'horrors' of the bush??? My take is that you are entering their home by going to say Tsendze ..learn to live with it ???

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

One of the things I was most anxious about before this trip was seeing Joshua, the camp bushbuck that Rodgerh released at the start of 2019. I had heard many rumours that he had been taken by leopards, but I can happily report that he is doing well. Although he still hangs around the camp and Mooiplaas picnic site, he is no longer tame. He's growing a nice pair or horns too ;)

Last edited by krugerbru on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Nice to see Joshua is doing well..we always stay in 14 in Sept visits and we ofen found him in our Bush Camper ..once on our bed after we arrived back from a walk

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

Peter Betts wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:02 am
krugerbru wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:09 pm We need to talk about the Cicada's though. What is your formula for keeping them away? You obviously need light, but they seem to want to more than you. It was incessant. Some people say you need to invest in a red light. Is this the formula?
If you go in Summer to the bush especially you have to put up with snakes , Malaria, Heat , Huge storms, Mopani worm Carpets, and insects like noisy Cicada's. If you need to trap chase away , poison (as in Ants ..Some people actually use poison !!! @#$ @#$ @#$ ) insects then you have to seriously ask yourself if Tsendze is the place for you..Maybe a airconditioned hut at Satara all nicely fumigated against the 'horrors' of the bush??? My take is that you are entering their home by going to say Tsendze ..learn to live with it ???
No stress Peter, fully aware of the different conditions that summer brings as this isn't my first rodeo. I love the snakes, insects and the storms you mention. Sometimes it's nice to have dinner without Cicada's flying into your food and drink. I was just checking if anyone else had some advice, as at times it felt like a biblical plague.

The poison is shocking though... some people!!!

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

There was a lot of water around, which did make game spotting that more difficult, however the Tsendze river was full and still flowing. This made sundowners at Mooiplaas even more entertaining as the hippos were right around the corner chuffing and grunting, keeping us entertained until our mad scramble to get back to the gate before closing.

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

I forgot to mention in the last post that on one of our visits to Mooiplaas, my wife took a step off the deck to peek around the trees to see the hippos and managed to disturb this Yellow-Bellied Sand Snake. As chivalrous as I am, I went straight for the camera instead of her rescue ;)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great start to your TT, Krugerbru!! \O \O

I'm sure your wife thanked you for taking a pic of the snake! lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very good and nice pics, bru! \O

Good to see the boy enjoy a Savanna, train them young! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”