Congestion at Sightings

Information and discussions on congestion in Kruger
Bushcraft

Re: More Congestion Pics

Post by Bushcraft »

I agree with both your posts RT :shock: =O: X#X

All the OSV operators that I have spoken to use the apps :-?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

IMO the Safari vehicles are a nuisance because they block more space and could easily stay in second line as they are much higher, but that is not really the problem. There are simply to many cars and above all to little education and respect for the others. It is useless to complain about the APPs, they are not going to disappear 0*\ 0= If SP does not limit the number of visitors, there are no other solutions. Take it or leave it. Not one of my most optimistic days 0:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

yet it still happens, but we are working on it. I for one if I hear there a sighting, and a lot of activity, I tend to stay away, as I am not a lion hunter “Leeujagters” as 90% of people tend to do when they get in to the hype of thing bush Its natural, nothing wrong with it.

Of course many if not most OSV's are into the chase, as stated above, but by no means all! Lis has hit the nail on the head! \O

A lot of info provided, IMO, by the OPEN Safari vehicle operator! ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Richprins wrote:Of course many if not most OSV's are into the chase, as stated above, but by no means all! Lis has hit the nail on the head! A lot of info provided, IMO, by the OPEN Safari vehicle operator!
Agree RP, just as not all of the people are into the chase either. At the same time saying the problem is the public using the apps is what is causing the chaos, if it wasn't for those same public using those apps and reporting the sightings, the OSV's would not have a lot of their sightings as they are monitoring those apps. Even if 1 OSV uses the app and gets to the sighting and then radios the "situation" at the sighting, the rest acting on the information are by default using the app.

I am not for the apps, as it concentrates people to certain points when they would not normally have gone there.

okie

Post by okie »

I am also totally against those Apps . , because not only can they cause congestion , but IMO is probably very much in use by poachers and poaching syndicates . KNP is supposed to be a radio/cellphone/apps- free area , and this can easily be achieved by imposing internet black-outs , thereby obviating congestion as well as reducing poaching :O^

Enough is enough
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

:-) :-) :-)

Just to clarify....

I know they are not illegal, my Q is: Do you need a permit to operate these radios? In Kruger specifically? My thougt on "illegal" was operators that have radios without a permit if need be

:-) :-) :-)

Richprins wrote:This from a senior OSV operator:
Getting back to the point of radios. Yes the radios are there, no they are not illegal, they are there for the purpose of communication, and that is what they are used for. They are generally not used to report sightings, more the general situation around sightings if it is a sensitive one. [/color]

Somewhere in Kruger
PJL

Post by PJL »

There seems to be a number of people against the apps that are available for Kruger sightings. Seeing as it has the potential to concentrate people at particular sightings which they wouldn't have known about any other way I can understand the frustration. Some of my work involves smartphone app development and so I can see why these things are so popular. Has anyone ever tried getting in touch with the developers to see whether they could restrict the use of the apps to a certain area of the park? That way people who are simply dying to use their technology to sit in lion related car pile-ups can do so, but it would leave other areas free for visitors to find sightings for themselves. \O

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

This from a senior OSV operator:
Richprins wrote: These 127 vehicles are relatively organised, and yes communication between them is vital as not to block sightings, yet it still happens, but we are working on it. I for one if I hear there a sighting, and a lot of activity, I tend to stay away, as I am not a lion hunter “Leeujagters” as 90% of people tend to do when they get in to the hype of thing bush Its natural, nothing wrong with it. The general idea is that we do not stay on the sighting for long, we tend to let our people get their pictures and move on because there are other people that want to see things as well. We also generally have places to go, meet for breakfast, meet for lunch, meet the bus at the correct time etc etc.
[/color]
I fully ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ you Mr Senior OSV operator. If only the majority of OSV operators would be like you Kruger would be a much more peaceful place - sightings wise.

Look at the below 3 advertisements of well known operators. And btw that was the first 3 I searched :-(

1 - “From the moment you settle into your comfy individual seat equipped with a blanket for chilly early mornings, a waterproof poncho to keep you dry if there’s a sudden summer shower and a pair of quality binoculars for special sightings, you know you’re in for a great wildlife experience. To ensure we don't miss a 'Big 5' sighting, we are in contact with other vehicles via 2-way radios”

2 - “Experience the magestical Kruger Park from our specially adapted 4×4 Safari vehicles. Linked by Radio to other vehicles in the Park, we have a great chance to spot some of the creatures in this world renowned reserve”

3 - “We will start our day with a cup of coffee or tea and rusks or biscuits (cookies), and make sure that we exit the Gates of the Rest Camp as soon as they open. Starting our Game Drive, we will visit rivers, waterholes and lookout points in the search of the BIG 5, and other animals that you might want to see. As we are in constant Radio Contact with other Open Safari Vehicles, we will also ask for any updates regarding any special sightings.”

O/ O/ O/
Last edited by Twigga on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Somewhere in Kruger
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

PJL wrote:There seems to be a number of people against the apps that are available for Kruger sightings. Seeing as it has the potential to concentrate people at particular sightings which they wouldn't have known about any other way I can understand the frustration. Some of my work involves smartphone app development and so I can see why these things are so popular. Has anyone ever tried getting in touch with the developers to see whether they could restrict the use of the apps to a certain area of the park? That way people who are simply dying to use their technology to sit in lion related car pile-ups can do so, but it would leave other areas free for visitors to find sightings for themselves. \O
\O \O I also monitor the apps and generally choose roads that have not had a sighting marked as I know it will be quieter.

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

As for the radio's, as long as you have paid your annual licence fee not sure how they can make it illegal. The transmitter does not sit it park. It is pretty much like your car radio or cellphone then, if you in range you get signal. -O- -O- Police, emergency services, firefighting, security all around the outskirts of park and even the camps use radio's.

Return to “Congestion in Kruger”