A VERY Dry Rooiputs trip with Two Major Thunder storms

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: A VERY Dry Rooiputs trip with Two Major Thunder storms

Post by Richprins »

Campers? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

You always have this feeling that you are being watched even in camp...2nd pic Jane enjoying the after sunset glow as the braai gets under way. Our friends had left that morning and we were in Campsite 3 and Campsite 1,2, and 4 were empty so we were literally on our own. ..Magic evening it was..give it a click to enjoy the evening glow

Rooiputs Braai.jpg
Being watched.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

How lucky being watched by a caracal O\/ O\/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

What a lovely campsite setting . O:V to have it to yourself for the night .

^Q^ Caracal has that typical aloof domestic cat look :-)

Alf

Post by Alf »

It must be the best feeling ever to be there in the middle of nothing all alone \O ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

With the drought the game has generally moved into Botswana towards Mabuasehube where the rainfall is double than the South West (Rooiputs) and as a result the famous lions of R Puts had vanished as I feared before arriving. On day 6 ....I found an Extremely emaciated lioness at the trough below camp on the RSA side who literally couldnt stand up and was dying ..I thought it was my old friend the master Queen that spent so much time with the last 2 trips and was in such superb condition last year after looking decidedly old in 2017. Someone must have reported it to Conservation at HQ Twee Rivieren 35 kms South as a Section Ranger and helpers arrived and drove up to her after speaking to me ..They loaded her up and drove over the dune out of sight and there was a low intensity shot (Revolver or silencer fitted Rifle..3 mins later they appeared without her...She was at her final resting place...BUT it was not the Lioness I thought it was as I found the drought weakened queen at Kij Kij 2 days later ..still roaring her authority (Pics later)..After 7 mornings of driving to Kij Kij alone before the T Rivieren traffic arrived 45 mins later all I found on those mornings was nothing ..Then 1000 doves then about 10 doves , then a Wildebeest then nothing , then anothr wildebeest (Probably the same one) and then Bonanza an unknown to me Middle aged Male lion just as he finished his drink at Kij Kij trough (My FAVORITE waterhole in the Park )
First Kij Kij Male.jpg

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Magic camp setting! \O

I'm surprised (but glad) that the rangers put the starving lioness out of her misery. :yes:

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Alf wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:29 am It must be the best feeling ever to be there in the middle of nothing all alone \O ^Q^ ^Q^
Its why I go without certain luxuries found in main camps and I strive to be as alone as possible in Nature as my work requires me to meet with lots of people

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Flutterby wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 am Magic camp setting! \O

I'm surprised (but glad) that the rangers put the starving lioness out of her misery. :yes:
Yes she was so weak she didnt/couldnt resist being manhandled ..They just helped her in her hopeless condition and ALSO to remove her from next to the trough so that THIRSTY animals could drink and from sight of Gawking tourists who would have sat for hours at a 'Lion Sighting!!' She was more sick and old rather than starving although she would have been starved in her condition but oblivious to the fact no doubt \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”