PILANESBERG PREDATOR PARADE

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: PILANESBERG PREDATOR PARADE

Post by Richprins »

Very nice, stf! ^Q^

Ja, lions work in their own mysterious ways re communicating...very highly-attuned for their jobs!

Where do the Pilanesberg lions come from again? :o0ps:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Not sure. :-? I would have thought Kruger. -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The park was named after a Tswana chief who went by the name “Pilane.” The northern part of Pilanesberg National Park was originally owned by the Bakgatla- ba- Kgafela tribe (also known as the Bakgatla tribe). The southern area of the park was formerly a set of farms owned by local farmers in the 1860’s and they were responsible for the development of the Mankwe Dam in the reserve. These farms in the south of the park were then bought by the Government during the 1960’s under the apartheid regime. The Bakubung tribe decided to settle on this land, arriving from the nearby town of Ventersdorp. This land was then passed onto Bophuthatswana (an area set aside for members of a specific ethnicity- “Bophuthatswana” means gathering of the Tswana people).

Now was the time for the re-introduction of wildlife into the area and the conversion of Pilanesberg into a game reserve. Chief Tsidmane Pilane from the Bakgatla tribe agreed to the inclusion of a mountainous region owned by them, to be included in the new reserve. Families were moved to a new town to the east of the reserve in an agreement with tribal authority.

These are the stages leading up to what we observe today as Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Around the same time, Sun International obtained a lease on the adjacent farm and built one of South Africa’s biggest entertainment complexes, Sun City. The development of Pilanesberg National Park is still considered to be one of the most complex yet aspiring projects of its kind found anywhere in the world.

It does not say where the lions came from ;-)

Much more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilanesberg_Game_Reserve

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

I put this question on the Pilanesberg Gem of the West facebook page:

Please can someone tell me where the lions of Pilanesberg came from. To me they seem to be a bit lighter in colour than their Kruger cousins.
Show more reactions
Comment
Comments
Paul Roe
Paul Roe Etosha
Like · Reply · 1 · 27 mins
Remove
Donald Sutton
Donald Sutton The original stock came from Etosha in 1993.
Like · Reply · 1 · 25 mins
Remove
Richard Joan Gillatt
Richard Joan Gillatt Thank you very much Paul and Donald.
Like · Reply · Just now

Maybe this is why they are a lighter colour.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Post by nan »

from Etosha :-? \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Starting to have more free time again for the Forum, \O so I began with your TT - what a great choice! So many wonderful photos and encounters. ^Q^ ^Q^

The osprey pic looks like an Audobon print, love the Red-faced Mousebirds, the flying Swallow is very impressive, not to mention the pair of Pied Kingfishers and the hovering shots - all excellent captures. O\/ O\/

Everybody loves lions cubs - for good reason - so glad you got to see them. The only thing better??? - a leopard cub!!! Adorable. The cheetah/warthog saga had to have been such a rush, with the outcome yet to be determined.

Lastly (sorry to be so long winded, :o0ps: but had to catch up here) - some lovely, moody landscape shots. It all makes me want to pay Pilanesberg another visit someday. Seems much more diverse than I remember our trips being. :-?

More, please…. 0() 0() 0() :yes:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks for the info, stf! ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

I am pleased we resolved the "where do the Pilanesberg lions come from" issue. I am just as surprised that they come from Etosha.

I do know that some of the giraffe also come from Nambia lol lol .

Thanks to everybody for all your input and comments.

ExFem - I big welcome on board and thank you for your lovely comments. So pleased you are enjoying the trip with the rest of the gang.

Richprins - You are most welcome. I was also wanted to know where they came from.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Interesting stf. \O The giraffe are also a bit paler than the Kruger ones I think. ;-)

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:Interesting stf. \O The giraffe are also a bit paler than the Kruger ones I think. ;-)
Some are Flutterby and some are the darker ones. The lighter colour ones from Nambia.

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”