Post by Flutterby »

Thank goodness for the birds that can brighten any day! \O \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: From Floods and Surprises in River beds

Post by Mel »

Funny how one doesn't get to see the COMMON waxbill very often, hey? lol

Wonderful series of pictures of the bishops! O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Never sen that red waxbill! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice action at the waterholes...it is almost as if the natural pans are more popular! :-0 :-0 :-0

Lots of birdies, Pumbaa! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

What wonderful bird pics ^Q^ ^Q^ . Agreed, the Waxbill is very eye catching O:V

Do you keep a list of the birds you've seen? If so, how many are you up to now?

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:58 pm Thank you Nature for all the pretty birds lol lol

Beautiful colourful photos ^Q^ ^Q^

I saw the lion pic before reading the text and could not make out what on earth it was =O:

0()
That lion was indeed very hard to see so we carried on also because of the traffic :yes:
Flutterby wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:28 am Thank goodness for the birds that can brighten any day! \O \O
I cannot imagine a kruger trip without all those colourful feathered friends O\/
Mel wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 pm Funny how one doesn't get to see the COMMON waxbill very often, hey? lol

Wonderful series of pictures of the bishops! O:V
Totally right I guess it was only the second or third time we saw that common waxbill :yes:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 pm Never sen that red waxbill! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nice action at the waterholes...it is almost as if the natural pans are more popular! :-0 :-0 :-0

Lots of birdies, Pumbaa! X#X
Yes I already thought that too - The animals maybe know that the other waterholes still can be used when the natural one dried out so they prefer the variety lol
ExFmem wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:55 pm What wonderful bird pics ^Q^ ^Q^ . Agreed, the Waxbill is very eye catching O:V

Do you keep a list of the birds you've seen? If so, how many are you up to now?
So far we did not do such a list but I simply have to do one day but then I have to go through all the pictures we ever took O**

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

We were already about to leave or even left when I remember to look for the barn owls at the chimney and to our surprise one of them was in the mood to show up

as all the next days we paid a visit here the barn owl was only hardly to be seen.

Next stop was then for sure at Sunset dam where one of the many grey herons was again surfing on the back of a hippo

and closer two of them started a fight.

Close to where we parked a lot of water birds were around such as sandpipers

but now we had to go back to the hippos as their poses simply had to be captured.

Luckily again a black winged stilt was foraging

close to where we parked the car

many other animals such as crocodiles, yellow billed storks, marabous or impalas stayed far too far away for decent shots but finally also a three banded plover were willing to pose.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

We then decided to give the S29 another try and right at the beginning we noted a small pond in the shade where we spotted a black stork

as well as blue waxbills, weavers and melba finches but the spot was too much in the shade as most of our shots came out blurred – On the second view we then only noted the sleeping hyena

under a bush – Indeed same was very well hidden but as it heated up meanwhile extremely same must have chosen a lovely far cooler place to take a nap. It was such a lovely spot that we even stayed a bit longer but same was a bit tricky as we had to park on a very washed out causeway and whenever a car came we had to let same pass in order to return to the place where we parked earlier. We noted also a sandpiper,

and a yellow breasted bunting. Birdingwise it was indeed a hot spot as most of the birds came to take a drink or take a bath

whilst the hyena stayed where it was without any movement – Obviously it was a hard night.

When we were about to leave a brown hooded kingfisher landed in a close by tree and same simply had to be captured.

The rest of that road was than dead quiet but although the heat turned out to get more and more unbearable we kept on rolling and decided to drive once again the Muntshe loop where we spotted giraffes picturesquely placed under a shady tree,

a black shouldered kite

to be continued....

PuMbAa

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

You always have such a varied selection, Pumbaa! :-0

Never seen a barn owl, looks easy! ..0..

I LOVE the hyena with the bright finches, what a contrast! O\/

That may be the Makambeni stream, always water there! O:V

A long night indeed! lol

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

A busy little waterhole! ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”