Beware the spots in March ...

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Re: Beware the spots in March ...

Post by RogerFraser »

Pumbaa wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 pm Just caught up, Roger \O

simply love the wooly necked stork shots and all the zebras and mongoose and on top that lucky leopard X#X

Simply brilliant :ty:

Ready for more 0()
:ty: Pumbaa
Lisbeth wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:32 am Fabulous beast! ^Q^ ^Q^
:yes: it was
Peter Betts wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:10 pm Yes Leave the gate open before time I drive straight through especially happens at Tamboti camp >. That way I beat the OSV's from Orpen and Get to my Cheetah Country on the S36 /H7 region well before time allowing me to set up in peace
:yes: we may have or may not have left the camp slightly early as well ;-)
Richprins wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:22 pm I love the SANParks logo pic, Rog! ^Q^

And a grand leopard!! 0()
lol I just missed catching the image before it lifted its head as it had the iconic horns outline when I first noticed it .

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

We spent about 10 minutes or more watching as the Leopard relaxed in the shade .It was quite alert but both us and the other vehicle were at a fair distance and not disturbing it too much .

A vehicle suddenly came flying down the road from the opposite side but did stop at a respectful distance .We were @#$ about the speed .

The vehicle held its position for about 5 minutes and the Leopard eventually got up and sniffed the ground .

The vehicle then moved forwards and gently pushed passed the Leopard and a ranger in full camo gear apologized profusely for the incident but there was an emergency situation and left . We were very impressed that he had actually waited for us to enjoy the sighting and wondered what the emergency was .Over the next 5 KM we past about 10 Vehicles all parked in various places so it was most likely a poaching incident that the ranger was responding to .

We drove to Skukuza for brunch then carried on the way to Malelane .We turned onto the S114 shortly after starting the test Tar section a noticed a blur on the road .Snake and managed to catch a few snaps before it disappeared .

We found the Biyamiti loop road closed for roadworks so had to go straight to the Weir on the S114 .

There were only some birds active at the weir .

We carried on to Afsaal for a stop and then checked into camp at the Malelane Gate and went to unpack and chill out .

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Is it a black mamba -O-

First-class leopard O/\ O/\

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

Yet another awesome Leopard ^Q^

KNP: May be one day again??
PJL

Post by PJL »

Great sightings Roger... love the relaxed leopard ^Q^ ^Q^

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:55 am Is it a black mamba -O-

First-class leopard O/\ O/\

0()
-O- not sure it was very quick and we did not get a clear shot , it most probably was .

:yes:
harrys wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am Yet another awesome Leopard ^Q^
:yes:
PJL wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 pm Great sightings Roger... love the relaxed leopard ^Q^ ^Q^
:ty:

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Now for some reason the date and time on the camera got reset 0*\ so the rest of the images order may be slightly out for some segments . :-?

We went out for an afternoon drive after unpacking at camp and saw ...

A tail-less monitor .

And some Piggies

There was a full moon that evening but it did not last long as the clouds moved in a storm threatened in the distance but ultimately did not come .

There was a huge fight later that evening with the hippos in the river we could hear the fight but not see much from the camp fence , most of the campers where at the fence looking and all you could really see was some hippos leaving the river .

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There is room for a lot of ox-peckers on that neck lol Nice close ups \O

I suppose that the tail of the monitor grows again like that of the lizard -O- I just read yesterday that also the "arms" of the octopus re-grow if lost.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Lisbeth wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:37 am There is room for a lot of ox-peckers on that neck lol Nice close ups \O

I suppose that the tail of the monitor grows again like that of the lizard -O- I just read yesterday that also the "arms" of the octopus re-grow if lost.
:ty: :yes: we were wondering the same about the tail but it seemed like it was well healed already.

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

The following morning we let ourselves out the Malelane gate at gate opening . O**

Shortly after turning onto the S114 River road we found the Sunrise drive watching a Hippo heading home for the day .

We followed the drive for a little down the road and stopped to enjoy the sunrise and the drive carried on .

Shortly after turning onto the S25 we noticed a group of Vultures on a tree on the riverside busy taking off for their days activities and we stopped to take some pics as the were coming past ...

As they flew over the vehicle SO says very calmly look there's a Leopard and sure as eggs on the Left of the vehicle there was a Leopard in a tree .It was still early and all we could basically see was the Silhouette . As there was no Sunrise drive we assumed they had carried on up the S114 . We had the sighting all to ourselves so we continued to watch and fill up Memory cards .As it became lighter we could make out a Impala carcass in the tree .The Leopard was alert and moved around a bit also watching us .

Eventually the Leopard settled down but was watching around the base of the tree still .We were still the only vehicle after about 25 minutes .We moved our position and saw a Hyena at the base of the tree hoping for a take away .

After some time the Hyena came out and ran down the road .

Some of the Vultures had stayed on the other side of the road including this one .

With the Hyaena leaving the Leopard settled down for some shuteye and the first few vehicles arrived to share the sighting .

We had had the sighting of the trip all to ourselves and now that more vehicles were arriving we decided to move on and go past Gardenia hide .More of this sighting later O**

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”