Enjoying The Kruger Without Staying In The Park

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Enjoying The Kruger Park Without Staying In The Park

Post by Lisbeth »

Alf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:40 pm Wonderful roads you have driven and nice sightings too ^Q^
The roads are very varied and running along rivers, so very enjoyable \O
Richprins wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:49 pm A very effective windmill! lol

Ja, Lis, difficult in the rain, but some unique pics!

That is a big waterbuck, and I like the UFO! :-0 :-0 :-0

Lots of alien vegetation in the river... :no:

Shingwedzi has gone down a bit after Christa left... :evil:
Coming back after a long nice day in beautiful nature to a sad, badly-lighted and squalid room is demoralizing.
RogerFraser wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:05 pm \O Love the UFO looks like a pelican :-?
Bad quality pic, but the subject is surprising lol
ExFmem wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:24 pm 0/* Sis
Your mindset to make the most of every day, regardless of weather or sightings is refreshing - kudos to you \O

I like the spa Buffs, Red Rocks scenery, the hammerkop w/ reflection ^Q^ , and the Yellow-b storks that always remind me of an Oriental painting. You certainly have an eye ;-) for nature's art in the form of trees - even the squirrel at the end of the entry shares your appreciation of artsy trunks :yes: Seems you and squirrels are kindred spirits. 0/0
Thank you sis 0/0 I have always loved squirrels :-) Maybe because they always seem playful and happy, small and soft -O- lol
Klipspringer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am This was the francolin day ^Q^

The tree looks like a Jackalberry to me, the leave shape and the bark is not Marula-like. Well-spotted!

This is a Hibiscus calyphyllus, Lemon-yellow rosemallow

and Heliotropium nelsonii, Common String-of-star

And I like the lady-starling and the hornbills in the Mopane O\/

Your Crowned lapwing looks also beautiful with the red legs in the greenery
Thank you for your appreciation and all the ID's 0/0
Pumbaa wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 pm Thanks Lisbeth,

that is why the S56 is still one of our favourite roads because of the beautiful trees along that road \O

and you are right when it is raining the good sightings are rare but nevertheless better rain than drought again :yes:

Great shots of the crested barbet and from the waterbucks :ty:

There are camps in Kruger were everything is okay but they are rare indeed - especially those missing hooks were to hang the towels on and reachable mirrors to put my contact lenses on without doing wrenches are rare and sometimes there are hooks or mirrors but simply for giants and I cannot reach them O** O** O** O**
Yes, the roads in the neighbourhood of Shing are great and must be even better in the sun ;-) It might not be the max. to stay outside the park, but at least you return to a pleasant place in the evening and your day continues to be pleasant......and thank you, Pumbaa 0/0
Mel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 am The bush looks nicely green in and after the rains :-)

And the birds always look as if they felt sorry for themselves when their plumage is all wet and soaked lol
Kinda cute though.

Oh, and love that diva barbet lol

Despite the lack of steady big cat sightings, it must be really nice up there \O
"Steady cat sightings" lol I only had three cat sightings during a month, but I did not really miss them. Of course I would not have minded a leopard or two O**
Flutterby wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 pm A lot of sightings for such wet weather! ^Q^ ^Q^

The birds look very sorry for themselves! lol
Although the weather could have been much better, I enjoyed the trip up north a lot \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

15.02.2019 (1)

The two nights at Shingwedzi were over and it was time to turn the nose towards south.

One last waterbird, at least from here

IMG_3598.JPG
Palms always tastes of the tropics and look kind of "out-of-place" in the Kruger ;-) These are Lala Palm trees [Hyphaene coriacea]

Locally called Molala, large palm trees usually grow from 5 to 7m high, but sometimes up to 15m in height, single or multi-stemmed, with a slight swelling about half way up the stem. The tree is found in low-altitude bush land and coastal bush, often forming extensive stands. The leaves are fan-shaped and greyish green. Fruits are tennis ball size, ripening from green through orange to glossy dark brown. A thin layer of sweet-tasting, ginger-flavoured, spongy, fibrous pulp surrounds the seed. Fruits are produced in large quantities, up to 2000 per tree, each taking two years to mature and up to two further years to fall.

Uses

The milk present in the young fruit is similar to coconut milk in taste and colouring. Elephants eagerly consume the newly formed leaves, which are crisp at their base and have a pleasant coconut flavour. The crown-heart is eaten as a vegetable and is known in the Delta as 'gau'. The pulp of the fruit resembles gingerbread. To extract the pulp, the hard exocarp is hit with a stick. The pulp is quite palatable and eaten particularly by elephants and baboons. These palms are widely exploited as a source of wine and unfortunately many are killed as a result. Palm swifts are closely associated with this palm. They can be seen nesting in a vertical position underneath the leaves. These birds have evolved a unique method of preventing the eggs from falling by gluing them in place with saliva. The hard white kernels of the seeds, closely resembling the commercial vegetable ivory of South America, are too small to be of any economic importance though they are often used to make ornaments, trinkets and curios.

IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG (191.28 KiB) Viewed 200 times
It was still very wet, but not raining for the time being.
A small very calm group of baboons were busy doing Baboon “things” especially the youngsters were having a good time

IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3617.JPG
IMG_3620.JPG
IMG_3624.JPG
IMG_3625.JPG
IMG_3625.JPG (185.86 KiB) Viewed 200 times
IMG_3626.JPG

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A couple or three Ground Hornbills were out and about

IMG_3629.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG (145.37 KiB) Viewed 197 times
IMG_3630.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG
Finally I could enjoy the sight of a group of Nyala ewes for the first time on this trip

The nyala is also a very unique species with regards to its extreme sexual dimorphism (i.e. the differences between males and females). The male is dark brown in colour while the female is a bright orange colour. Males are born the same colour buas females, but as they mature they will gradually change from orange to a dark brown.
In the larger antelope species, the male is known as a bull and the female is known as a cow. With smaller antelope, the male is known as a ram and the female is known as a ewe. The nyala is used as a marker to distinguish between the names given to the males and females of other antelope species. This is because of the drastic difference in size between the male and female nyala. The male nyala is classified as a bull, while the female is classified as a ewe. Any male antelope smaller than the nyala bull is classified as a ram, and any female antelope bigger than the nyala female is classified as a cow.

IMG_3636.JPG
IMG_3636.JPG (261.71 KiB) Viewed 197 times
They were down in the river bed of the Kagole and working their way up towards the road level

IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG
Also the Nyalas do it :-)

IMG_3641.JPG
At the top the bull was waiting for his harem

IMG_3651.JPG
I had turned onto the S144 (Old Mainroad Loop) now.

A Magpie Shrike

IMG_3657.JPG
Close to the road a Red-crested Korhaan was showing off

IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3664.JPG

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It was certainly very green! \O \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A bucolic scene with impala
IMG_3667.JPG
“Look how high up I am!”
IMG_3672.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG
Wildebeest family

IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
This one was a first for me O/\ A long-tailed Paradise Whydah – of course far away :O^

IMG_3689-Long-Tailed Paradise Whydah.JPG
IMG_3689-Long-Tailed Paradise Whydah.JPG (69.52 KiB) Viewed 195 times
IMG_3697.JPG
A laughing dove, that is not laughing so I changed its colour a bit ;-) and a Sabota Lark (?) that WAS singing ;-)

IMG_3700-Laughing Dove.JPG
IMG_3701.JPG
They grow like mushrooms when the weather is humid O** lol

IMG_3704.JPG
The last sighting before the Tropic of Capricorn Loop were a couple of lovely Jackals

IMG_3706 - Copia.JPG
IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3711 (2).JPG
IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG
And then they disappeared into the bush

IMG_3714.JPG
This was a long day so maybe better leave it here before the Tihongonyeni Waterhole.

The second half soon 0/*

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely jackal sighting. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Blindingly green, Lis! :-0

A nice big nyala herd, with info, and nice to have time to sit and watch the baboons! O/\

Good jackal sighting! X#X

And interesting that animals are at the waterpoint with so much rain around? :-? 0-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Large Nyala herd ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ and the male is a youngster. Strange group :shock:

Lovely francolin calling O/\

And one of the jackals is smalish, is it perhaps offspring and adult?

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

^Q^ Lovely sightings Liz

Love the Jackals \O

Alf

Post by Alf »

The quality of pictures are just amazing

You must have one great camera

Just loving it ^Q^