Jackal carcasses found in Addo

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
General Gump

Re: Jackal carcasses found in Addo

Post by General Gump »

Poison is an ugly way to kill scavengers , indiscriminate in it's choice of victims.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Addo are now offering a R10,000 reward for information leading to the successful prosecution of the culprit(s). I should have been taking photos of the vehicles around Rooidam rather than the lions 0*\ 0*\

Duke

Post by Duke »

In news24 this morning

here

Wildlife authorities said on Friday they have found dozens of dead jackals at a popular game park in the country's "worst" ever incident of poisoning.

Game rangers have found over 40 dead animals, mostly jackals, but also mongeese, foxes and crows in the Addo Elephant National Park, and many more are feared dead.

The motive of the killings is not known, but authorities suspect foul play and have launched an investigation to try to find the culprits.

"This is the worst incident of malicious poisoning of animals inside any national park in South Africa," the park's conservation manager John Adendorff told AFP.

"So far we have found 36 jackals, three crows, two yellow mongoose and two bat-eared foxes."

Jackals have in the past been found caught in wire snares amid complaints by local farmers that they prey on their sheep and goats.

"We think there are some people who think jackals don't play any role (in nature)," said Adendorff.

Warders are still scouring the vast 186 000 hectare national park, which is roughly the same size as the tourist Indian Ocean island of Mauritius.

"We believe there are still many more animals lying dead in the national park," which is close to the southern coastal city of Port Elizabeth.

Adendorff said laboratory tests have confirmed that the animals ingested methomyl, a highly toxic pesticide.

Many more animals are expected to die through secondary poisoning.

"If other animals eat the dead carcasses, they will die also," he said, adding that the poison stays in the soil for up to 90 days so could claim more lives.

The loss of the animals is "priceless, it will take long to recover," he said.

Tourists on a game drive were the first to stumble upon a batch of jackal carcasses last week.

nan

Post by nan »

they don't like Jackals... is one thing 0*\
but poisoned deliberately a lot of them and others is "dégueulasse" :evil: 0=

everywhere in the world people kill :-(

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So sad! :-(

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It certainly is dégueulasse = disgusting and not only, it is also a sign of ignorance and stupidity 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Sickening!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

What's the purpose of killing rather harmless animals in a National Park?
Showing off that one can???

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

I'm still not sure of the motive Mel, but as the latest article says, perhaps some farmers near the park have lost livestock and decided to take out their frustration on the animals in the park -O-

We were in the park yesterday, and it was good to see a lot of jackal around so hopefully the impact will be minimal, however they are still finding carcasses - one was found near Spekboom yesterday. :-(

nan

Post by nan »

:evil: :-(

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Spotted Cat

Post by Spotted Cat »

I always say ... "by the way you treat an animal, your character can be judged", the easiest and best way to choose my friends!

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”