Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: The Straw that broke the Mountain Zebra's Back

Post by Richprins »

Wonderful sightings and pics, Mello!

The monkeys are brilliant! =O:

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Great variety of birds, Mel,

some of them would still be lifers for me O**

and then love the hartbeests, the zebra foal, the meerkat and those cute vervets ^Q^

A wonderful drive for sure :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I'm really lazy here :o0ps: PJL is already finished with his JULY trip and I'm still labouring on my April one 0*\ lol

Well, thanks guys and gals for still being with me though :-0
ExFmem wrote:Which do you prefer, Addo or Mtn. Zebra?
Difficult to answer that one... For the scenery and the tranquility I'd go to Mountain Zebra, for the animal action to Addo. That's why we usually do both in one trip. :-)

Alf wrote:What was itching -O- lol lol
Looks like the belly to me 0' Not sure what you were thinking ^0^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

So onto Umgeni 4x4 we went... only never to return again. 0- The rocky "stairs" were so bad in places that the SO even managed to bottom out our 4x4 once O-/
And there are no aarwolves on that loop. :twisted: lol But the scenery was great O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Seeing it was only around 10 am when we had finally escaped the loop lol , we decided it was still cheetah o'clock and we would therefore head from Rooiplats via the Link Road down to Ubejane and the main road where the cheetah mum supposedly was.

Arriving on Rooiplat I managed to tick off another bird - a greywinged francolin O/\

Trying another nice zebra shot... but still not satisfied with the result... You're not going to make calendar stuff, my dear ^0^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Down at the dam on Ubejane there was some bird activity, but the heron ...

... and the ibis stood out

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Back on the main road a kestrel was watching the surroundings from one of the poles:

And a cormorant was watching over Doornhoek Dam

Just before the turn off to the guesthouse something in the air caught my eye... A horrible photo but another lifer for me, a black stork :-)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Mel wrote:The next day (now Tuesday 29th) we came back from our morning drive smack in the middle of the workers lunchtime, so we didn't find out anything about the progress. As it is, during our break I saw a fish eagle flying into a tree at the dam that I couldn't see from our porch. So the SO offered to drive me down to look for it.
Mel wrote: When we came back the work was in full swing again and we were told that the fault had been located but it couldn't be fixed without extra parts. However those parts would come from Bloemfontein and with a bit of luck they would arrive the next day since they had already been ordered.

Seems we had to do with the noise for another evening then...

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

For the evening drive we had opted to go up to Krankop Loop and park off at one of the viewing points with a sundowner and the intention to capture the beautiful evening light. Going up we first admired the view towards Doornhoek Dam and the guesthouse.

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”