Flavour of the Month March 2014: Gardenia Hide and S-119

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month March 2014: Gardenia Hide and S-119

Post by Richprins »

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

2013:

9149687098c50b21d6fc8a5bec966d13.jpg

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Here is an interesting story by Peter:

Polentswa wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:30 am I am always lucky when I read the signs or take the trouble to. How often have I just stopped (gut feeling) switch off and LISTEN to the 06h30 Bush news being read by Mr Monkey (They have their uses after all =O: ) and Mrs Francolin is great for announcing a leopard on the move ... if I am lucky it all goes silent and then unsighted 100-150 metres in the awesome rasping cough of a leopard territory calling . I listen very carefully now as he will call again and that is where it is key to locate exactly which direction he is moving and then quickly start and move to a suitable point SWITCH OFF THE ENGINE and wait ...in 90% 0f times in about 5 mins your cat will appear at the car or hopefully in front and will be relaxed as your car has been silent for a few mins...One early morning I picked up the huge spoor of a male leopard in the soft sand on the S119 Gardenia Hide loop off the S25 along the Mtambane spruit ....FRESH Fresh!!! I slowly proceeded ..Nothing Doubled back and the squirrels and francolin were going beserk in the trees above the reeds ..Francolin in trees ..He must have been right below and flushed them!! Saw nothing ..For the next 5 mornings while camping at Berg en Dal I was there before sunrise and found spoor most mornings ..I never gave up ...Morning 6 Lovely fresh Spoor Francolin excited ..No cars ..went 50 metres ahead and parked ..4 mins approx. he came into the road and sat down 30 metres in front of me ..A big boy!! I had anticipated this so before I switched off I turned sideways so I didn't have to shoot through a windscreen This also allowed me to observe the space behind me in case he decided to give me the slip..READ the signs

So much more rewarding than looking for 200 cars parked all over the place at Lower Sabie ..Do the quieter roads like the S119
viewtopic.php?f=268&t=3020&start=20

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am From a 2014 Pumbaa story:
Pumbaa wrote: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Our next stop was at Gardenia hide and as it was still early enough we decided to do a longer break there and look around what might come across. Well when we arrived we could already see before we even entered the hide the hundred of impalas which were barking loudly

and strolled along for a drink and between their legs black and white dots turned out to be lot of black smith plovers and even more impalas arrived.

When we arrived another couple was about to leave and so we had most of the time the hide to ourselves and after we settled and it got quiet again more and more birdies arrived. Although the hide was not located at a permanent water source we were impressed with what we all in all got presented – birdwise! At that stage when we visited the hide the water hole looked more like a drying out huge puddle with more mud than water left. Nevertheless lots of green grass had also grown in the middle of the water hole and from time to time we could see a pair of white faced ducks at least a head of same

and after a while one of the two ducklings risked to take a closer look as well.

We realized also some movements in the bushes close to where we sat and could spot some flying activity as well and the first bird which materialized was another spotted flycatcher.

soon followed by a couple of blue waxbills which we already spotted yesterday evening together with something bright red whilst observing the rhinos and both birds always flew up and landed in the high grass and have never been seen again.

Finally also this bright red one landed close to the hide and finally we could at least take one single shot of a redbilled firefinch – also one of those most wanted birds. Needless to say that after a while the blue waxbill and the firefinch flew up again and disappeared once again in the high grass.

The white faced duck family could also be seen from time to time again

and then I got a fright as on a close by tree I realized some movement and same materialized as a very curious lizard looking around the tree trunk what we were doing in the hide.

On a tree opposite the hide we noticed two squirrels playing hide and seek and also could spot a crested barbet but everything was far too far away for a decent picture.

Earlier that day we were a bit disappointed that we could not capture the plum-coloured starling but finally we were happy that same appeared as well at the hide.

Whilst we were busy in still watching the far away squirrels we also noticed a spotted cuckoo but unfortunately same stayed far away and did not come closer.

Pumbaa wrote: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 am Although the branches close to the hide were very well covered by leaves finally we were glad that the Crested Barbet paid a closer visit and observed us extensively from a nearby branch.

and during the whole time we spend at the hide a sandpiper was busy in catching some lunch.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3940&start=10

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

By Tina, in 2015:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6144&start=10

Tina wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:40 am we finally arrived at Gardenia hide

although there was not much water, there was a variety of animals and birds around
Tina wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:41 am blacksmith plover

Bennett’s woodpecker, another lifer on this trip

as was this knob-billed duck

Tina wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:43 am next we had another first sighting. I thought that I had missed the actual kill when a croc grabbed a white-faced duck as I was busy with the birds but now I think that it might even have happened before we entered the hide

Tina wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:44 am Image

finished

Tina wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:47 am the funeral party was horrified watching that scene

then another lifer showed up, a white-throated robin-chat

and a terrapin was enjoying the sunshine

there were impalas as well as tawny-flanked prinias and a brown-hooded kingfisher which were too far away for decent pictures

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From Pumbaa in 2915:

Pumbaa wrote: Fri May 08, 2015 8:47 am

and because each trip to Kruger is different compared to the large lake we spotted there last year not much water left but instead a great amount of mud but that does not mean that it was quiet – First thing we spotted were these tortoises sunbathing in a row,

and then lots of active ones

plus a knob-billed duck male with his two ladies which kept him busy as he was extreme thirsty.

We felt as if we were observed and discovered in a nearby tree an arrow-marked babbler staring at us.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5578&start=10
Last edited by Richprins on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Pumbaa wrote: Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 am A pair of white faced ducks at first sight kept hidden in the bit of reed which was left in the middle of the huge puddle

trying to chase a crocodile away from their little ducklings and also the knob-billed duck male was trying to attract a lady.

The white faced ducks had in fact quite a lot of ducklings so after they found it was safe swam to the safe shore and walked with their offspring deeper into the bush

away from these huge prehistoric monsters.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
Feb 22

17:20
1 leopard in a tree
“Looks like a juvenile”
S119, 2km from S25 intersection
Near Malelane
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Muhammad

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”