A cat or a lifer a day keep the doctor away

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: A cat or a lifer a day keep the doctor away

Post by Lisbeth »

I am sure that the buffalos are enjoying their SPA, but they certainly do not show it; they always look absolutely annoyed lol

The river mussels are really big. I know that they exist, but I have never seen one :shock:

The bateleur is performing quite a show lol lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

I like the Openbill with the freshwater mussel, it is a Wahlberg's River Mussel (Chambardia wahlbergi), a very large and species in rivers and dams.
It struggles to open other types of molluscs (such as bivalves), either failing completely or taking at least ten minutes for to pry open the shell. Consequently it may place them in groups of roughly 50-60 on the shoreline, waiting for the sun to kill them so that they release their hold on the shell.
http://www.biodiversityexplorer.info/bi ... igerus.htm

So how did this openbill do?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lovely stuff again, Pumbaa! Nice to see ostrich too, and I like the camp view! [Luv]

What superb light on the bateleur! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:49 pm I am sure that the buffalos are enjoying their SPA, but they certainly do not show it; they always look absolutely annoyed lol

The river mussels are really big. I know that they exist, but I have never seen one :shock:

The bateleur is performing quite a show lol lol
These buffaloes in their spa will always be admired by me as they are allowed to simply lay down and watch the life come by O** O** O**

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Klipspringer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:19 pm I like the Openbill with the freshwater mussel, it is a Wahlberg's River Mussel (Chambardia wahlbergi), a very large and species in rivers and dams.
It struggles to open other types of molluscs (such as bivalves), either failing completely or taking at least ten minutes for to pry open the shell. Consequently it may place them in groups of roughly 50-60 on the shoreline, waiting for the sun to kill them so that they release their hold on the shell.
http://www.biodiversityexplorer.info/bi ... igerus.htm

So how did this openbill do?
I suppose with their bill as same chewed a bit on the mussel whilst turning same around and finally had the delicous content in its bill - Picture not very clear but maybe a proof ;-)

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:48 pm Lovely stuff again, Pumbaa! Nice to see ostrich too, and I like the camp view! [Luv]

What superb light on the bateleur! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Yes the evening light that evening was brilliant - Sigh O\/

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Also the crocodiles meanwhile preferred to take a sunbath than to try to fish

and all we saw the earlier times we visited the causeway could be found in the water were now laying in the riverbed

and we enjoyed a final view around before it was time to leave that magical spot.

A bit time was still left to also pay a final visit to the confluence loop and although the masses of birds we spotted yesterday here where not around today but for sure a lot were more too willing to pose again for us.

even presenting their kill.

We were meanwhile on our way back to camp we again spotted a family of ground hornbills – The day started with them and now the day will end with them.

It was an extreme large group with a juvenile in the middle of them.

The sunset was today so lovely that we simply had to stop to photograph same

and with gate closing time we reached the camp where we spent the evening on our verandah with a couple of cold ones as it was already our last evening in the park.

Sunday, 23. February 2020 – Shingwedzi – Punda Maria Gate

Explored roads: H1-7 – S55 – H1-7 - S56 – H1-7 – H1-8 – S61 – S60 – H13-2 – S99 – H13-1

Early morning it was already hot and humid and with 27 degrees already very unpleasant at least when we were ready to leave camp after packing everything into the car we were already drenched and so started our last hours in the park.

We stopped shortly on the high water bridge across the Shingwedzi and continued via the tar road where we stopped for a brown eagle

and for a verreaux’s giant eagle owl in a tree

extreme close to the road.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

What a lovely sighting as I simply love these owls

and what nice claws they do have

and meanwhile we turned into the S56 which was luckily not closed this year and here we always do love all the views from the road into the riverbed plus some nicely posing birdies.

Along that road one can find a couple of lovely filled ponds which are for sure already occupied

with hippos

and the bird life is also prolific along that road

in form of a crested barbet and a burchell’s coucal

and the ponds alternated with a nearly dry river bed with an already looking very dramatic sky and we already heard the first thunders still far away but it was obvious that rain was on its way.

We stopped for a lot of waterbucks

and for an extreme far away cuckoo

and enjoyed the fields or better to say meadows of flowers

which were growing extreme in this area.

to be continued…….

PuMbAa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Lovely colours both on the birds and in the scenery \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Too many WOW sightings to mention each one, but what an extraordinary assortment on this trip! ^Q^ ^Q^ I have to live through other's lenses right now, and you are certainly on top of your game. O\/ :ty: :ty: 0() 0()

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”