Browns in Kruger October 2022

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Browns in Kruger October 2022

Post by Lisbeth »

Every time I take a peep, there is something extraordinary O:V

Now I can start from the beginning \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks RP, Pumbaa & Lisbeth for reading & posting X#X

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

7th October Skukuza

We again couldn’t resist checking out the H1-2 Sabie low water bridge for wild dogs, so we were back in the queue before gate opening this morning.

There were no adult dogs around on the short drive down to the bridge this morning, but the juniors were back in the same place in approximately the middle of the bridge crossing.

1.jpg
1.jpg (188.43 KiB) Viewed 812 times

We then decided to quickly cross the bridge, turn and head back down the bridge towards the H4-1 before the crowds arrived and blocked the bridge.

Just after we turned and started back across the bridge a hyena popped up and went for a drink next to us.

2.jpg
2.jpg (165.42 KiB) Viewed 812 times

The junior dogs in the distance spotted the hyena and may have gotten confused and thought the hyena was an adult pack member, but they came charging towards us and the hyena.

The hyena got a big skrik, which surprised us as these dogs were pups, and took off in the opposite direction, which seemed to also confuse the pups. Fortunately, they decided to rather stop on the rocks next to us.

3.jpg
3.jpg (156.93 KiB) Viewed 812 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

5.jpg
5.jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Vehicles were now arriving from Skukuza and pouring across the bridge, so I quickly reversed back off the bridge and turned back up the H1-2 because there was no way to get across the bridge to the H4-1 now.

The H1-2 was quiet sighting wise, but the Cow was stoked when she found a Gymnogene walking around and drinking below the H12 bridge.

6.jpg
6.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 812 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (165.59 KiB) Viewed 812 times

At the H12/H4-1 intersection we decided to head back up the H4-1 towards Skukuza, even though it was still very early, as we had originally planned to do this section of road from Skukuza but couldn’t get back across the H1-2 bridge.

About halfway back to Skukuza an adult wild dog appeared in the road.

8.jpg
8.jpg (130.16 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

The dog stopped in the middle of the road just in front of us and started calling loudly for the rest of the pack and then looked around again. It was awesome to experience this alone on the H4-1 and I think the gang of cars must have all still been with the pups.

9.jpg
9.jpg (126.28 KiB) Viewed 812 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (145.97 KiB) Viewed 812 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (153.08 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Within minutes this lone dog’s body language changed and the chirping greeting sounds started as the rest of the pack arrived.

After the brief greeting, the pack started off down the road with us following.

12.jpg
12.jpg (132.75 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

About 200m later the Alpha’s body language changed and the hunt was on.

13.jpg
13.jpg (93.67 KiB) Viewed 812 times

We have been amongst wild dogs hunting many times before and this was no different, we always get caught up in the adrenaline charge as everything happens at extreme pace.

“THERE!”

“Why you driving! They chasing there!”

“They also chasing that impala there”

“THERE! GO! STOP! GO!”

14.jpg
14.jpg (150.7 KiB) Viewed 812 times

My brain eventually hit “tilt” as dogs were chasing impala all over the place, missing, giving up, and then taking off at full sprint down the road as a pack again. It was total chaos in the road and in our car.

We watched at least 5 different chases, but there were probably many more all around us.

Eventually we chose to keep up with a split of 4 dogs, they nailed an impala and instantly started ripping it apart. A wild dog kill is not for the faint hearted.

15.jpg
15.jpg (183.62 KiB) Viewed 812 times
16.jpg
16.jpg (166.24 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

17.jpg
17.jpg (162.09 KiB) Viewed 812 times

An OSV then arrived and the driver started blaring off loudly to his guests, which was I suppose is his job, but it was irritating because the Cow was videoing and we didn’t want his narration, so we decided to turn and head back down the road to see if we could find the rest of the pack as there were only 4 dogs at this kill and 16 adult dogs in the pack.

About 500m down the road we found the rest of the pack and they also had a kill, but it was down in the riverbed thus it was difficult to get a clear view, so we turned again and headed back towards the 4 dogs and their kill.

About 300m later we spotted the 4 dogs coming down the road towards us and the dog in the front was wailing for the rest of the pack and I’m not certain if it was the adrenaline overload, but I found it amusing.

18.jpg
18.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 812 times
19.jpg
19.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Bushpig captured some of it on her cell phone.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

The other 12 members of the pack had finished their kill in the riverbed and charged up onto the road to meet these 4 and then the entire pack hit the road back towards the H1-2 low water bridge with us following.

20.jpg
20.jpg (130.59 KiB) Viewed 812 times

About 1km later the Cow spotted a leopard in the riverbed and my brain again went “tilt” as now we had to make a decision.

21.jpg
21.jpg (205.06 KiB) Viewed 812 times

We had spent nearly 1.5 hours with dogs this morning and this was a leopard so we decided to stop and watch the leopard for 5 minutes as we knew that the dogs were heading back to the juniors and that it would take them awhile to get there still.

A few minutes later the leopard got up without looking at us and moved off into thick bush so we continued on towards the low water bridge.

22.jpg
22.jpg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 812 times

The adult dogs had already arrived at the low water bridge by the time we arrived and the regurgitation story was on the go, but the bridge was loaded with cars, so we decided to give it a miss and headed back to camp for an earlier than normal breakfast.

After chow we relaxed under the boma thing in camp for a few hours and later all took a walk to the ice cream kiosk again as it was another boiling hot day.

We left for our afternoon drive earlier than normal, at around 3pm, because our morning drive had been short, but we have learnt to also spend time just relaxing in camp over the years of visiting Kruger.

Our plan was to head down the H1-1/H3/S112/S21/H4-1 back to camp with a possible late stop at Nkuhlu again.

A few km before the H3 with found some cars parked off and there was a leopard sleeping in a tree fairly close to the road.

24.jpg
24.jpg (149.49 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

The leopard was out for the count and the traffic was building by the minute and we were boiling in the car with no breeze, so we continued on, but stopped briefly again just before the H3 for a male lion sleeping with his head in the bush.

25.jpg
25.jpg (208.85 KiB) Viewed 812 times

The S112 was quiet, as was Renosterkoppies and the first part of the S21, so by the time we were halfway across the S21 most of us were distracted, so when a strange looking shape appeared on the side of the road some distance ahead of us my brain didn’t immediately click what it was.

“What is that?”

I then realised it was a leopard rubbing the side of his/her face in dung next to the road, so started to stop.

At the same time the Cow clicked what it was, got a rush of blood to the head and bellowed.

“LEOPARD!!”

This gave everybody in the car a fright including the leopard which bailed across the road in 2 leaps.

We then had a mini scrap because of the bellow and the fact that the camera was stuck under her car seat.

The slow forward/reverse mission started and then Bushpig spotted the leopard hiding in the dense bush looking at us. I then found it following her instructions.

“THERE! Take pics.”

The leopard was on the Cow’s and Albert’s side of the car, but they couldn’t see it and I was afraid to move the car because this leopard was very nervous and about to bolt. I couldn’t focus on it from my position which was adding to the frustration, so Bushpig tried but also wasn’t coming right.

Albert then decided to fire away with the camera in the general direction with Bushpig trying to guide her.

Suddenly the leopard bolted and my pelican shot out.

“%^&* it’s gone”

Albert then announced that she didn’t get a pic and what she thought Bushpig was pointing at wasn’t actually a leopard, but a stump behind a small tree.

Bushpig then took the camera and went through Albert’s bush pics and announced

“There it is, bottom right of that picture.”

The pic below is a little like the “can you spot the cat” type pics, but at around 4 0’ clock right on the edge of the frame you can see the leopard looking at us from behind some grass.

26.jpg
26.jpg (179.38 KiB) Viewed 812 times

When we arrived at the H4-1, we decided to do the causeway loop on the way back and before we got to the loop, we found 2 cars stopped on the side of the road, slowed as we went past, and the driver of one of the vehicles said “leopard”, so I hit the brakes.

He explained that there was an old looking leopard behind the bush right next to them. He showed me a pic of when it was peering through the bush face on and it was the leopard we call “Sausage, commonly known as the “Jackelberry male”, the leopard we have seen each year since he was a cub in the S79 area. In his prime he ruled north of Lubyelubye and we spotted him many times on Lubyelubye rocks and mating once on the S79 eastern entrance, but based on the pic, we won’t be seeing him next year.

He was on the other side of the bush and all you could see was spots, so we took a proof pic and headed back to Skukuza. I’m gad in a way that we never got a better view so our final memory of him looking at us was of last year when he was old, but still looking strong.

27.jpg
27.jpg (181.63 KiB) Viewed 812 times

We stopped for numerous general game sighting on the way back to camp, including hyena, but never took any pics.

I’m always happy to braai, but it does become a little monotonous and I was keen for a break, besides it has become a ritual for us to go out for supper on our last night at Skukuza, therefore we decided to head for camp well before gate closing so that we could get a good table before everybody arrived.

We had to decide between the Station restaurant and Cattle Baron, but we are from Toti, so keep it “simple stupid”, hence steak/cheese burger and chips is the deal, therefore the more expensive Station menu confused everybody and Cattle Baron was chosen much to the relief of my pocket.

We returned to our unit just before 8pm so the porcupine was an option again, but a new noisy crowd had moved into Moni next door and people were pulling in from all over the camp for a social. The conversion was all about golf amongst a gang that had drunk too much already, so we decided to all duck to bed early as this lot had “Friday Fever” and listening to the night sounds wasn’t an option.

I made a mental note to never be in Skukuza over a weekend and I was glad that we were moving to Biyamiti in the morning.

To be continued

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Page 6! ^Q^

What luck to see Casper, plus a stream of other predators! 0:

No leopard that page, not good enough, Bushy! :X: lol

Ja, one can often book in early, they just check if the unit has been made up! \O

Porcupine! O/\

You should rent yourself out as bat control...strange the staff can't plug the holes? 0-

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”