Kruger Ranger Don English - Antipoaching Icon Under Siege

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Kruger Ranger legend Don English suspended after complaints from Suspected Colleague

Post by Richprins »

URGENT. Please share. Save Kruger rhinos.
by Saving the Wild
Jamie Joseph
April 14, 2021

SANParks management are about to move Regional Ranger Don English out of Kruger’s IPZ – intense protection zone for rhinos – and faraway up north where there are few rhinos. As soon as this happens the poaching syndicates will infiltrate and smash the IPZ, and a lot of rhinos will be shot and slaughtered. To put this into perspective, when Don was suspended for two months October to December 2019 – on trumped up charges by rangers caught poaching (criminals masquerading as rangers) – during those two months poaching more than doubled.

Don English is the most critical rhino ranger on earth, because he is at the helm of protecting the largest population, and most importantly he is Kruger’s master of intelligence. He handles the informers – information – and warns his ranger teams of incoming incursions so that they can set up ambushes. Kruger is the size of a small country – most often poachers are caught because of intel.

I am sharing with you the trailer to an upcoming documentary ‘The Last Horns of Africa’ and you can reserve your free ticket at EarthxFilm.org – premiering April 17th. By some small miracle the director was given access to Don English before SANParks management became toxic. This is the best rhino documentary I have ever watched, because it is character driven, it is authentic with unparalleled access, and it takes you into the world few people know – the underworld of organized crime driven by the kingpins. In many ways, this sets up the stage for the Blood Rhino Blacklist documentary currently in the works, which will lift the veil on corruption in South Africa.

In ‘The Last Horns of Africa’ documentary there is an interview with Don’s daughter that nearly broke me, because it is the reality that few people know.

Every time he pursues poachers, and every time he leaves the park to meet with informers, his family never know if he is going to make it back alive. There is a part of me that is riddled with guilt for even fighting for Don to stay in the Kruger IPZ, because I know how much the #poaching #syndicates hate him and want to eliminate him. But the rhinos will die without him, and we are down to the last.

I am so sorry to Don’s family for all their suffering, mostly because of the awful way that he has been treated by senior members of SANParks management, and I know it would be a lot less heartbreak to just walk away. But his family were raised with the wild, just like my family, and the risks is something we all have to live with, or die with, because the only thing worse is doing nothing at all. Don English is one of a kind.

Please, stand with us. Keep Don in the IPZ.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Kruger Ranger legend Don English suspended after complaints from Suspected Colleague

Post by Richprins »

This is very concerning, if true. :evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

:yes: I wonder what is the real reason for moving him O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

I assume this is a Sanparks response without mentioning details :

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Got it? None of our business!!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What a huge number of words saying nothing! 0*\

At least it confirms the move.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Years ago Don told me he would love to go back to the North where he started at Shongoni sometime before retirement. Kruger move their staff at fairly regular intervals >> There is FAR more to Kruger Conservation than Rhino Poaching Management and the North needs Dons immense Conservation knowlege and experience in this field >> He is not a soldier and hopefully the REAL army will produce in the gap left by Don. He and his family need a WELL EARNED break and the Whims of this armchair petition starter are not welcome IMO

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Controversy surrounds Kruger regional ranger’s relocation
The removal of Kruger National Park (KNP) regional ranger, Don English, from its intensive protection zone (IPZ) where poaching is rampant, is the latest in a line of controversies in the rhino conservation world.
7 hours ago
Linzetta Calitz

KNP management is expected to remove English from the IPZ and relocate him farther north in the Kruger where there is far less rhino poaching.

Much of this was brought to light by rhino poaching activist and founder of Saving the Wild, Jamie Joseph, after she took to social media on April 14 and strongly criticised and warned against English’s removal from the IPZ, as he “is the most critical rhino ranger on earth”.

Joseph’s post came with numerous allegations against SANParks, including corruption within its ranks, and it questioned the reasoning behind English’s relocation.

In a statement on April 16, Isaac Phaahla, spokesperson for the KNP, said the park had been “inundated with several media queries about internal and operational related matters. The matters enquired about are highly regulated as they involve employer and employee relationships; however, it has become important that SANParks provides clarity”.

The statement noted the decline in the rhino population over the past 10 years and proceeded to describe in some detail the various efforts and systems put into place to combat rhino poaching.

As a result of a recent strategic workshop held to obtain input and to create plans to reverse the negative trend in the rhino population, “a number of new initiatives aimed to adjust the organisation’s current security efforts are under consideration. It is clear that structural change, greater collaboration with and support for our rangers is required”.

English declined to comment on the ongoing situation, and mentioned to Lowvelder he had asked his family not to get involved either.

This is after his daughter, Debbie, had shared Saving the Wild’s posts on Facebook accompanied by her own addition that her dad had given up his whole life for the KNP and the protection of rhinos, “and this is the treatment he gets”. English has been with the KNP for nearly 35 years.

Another prominent figure in the anti-poaching world, Adv Ansie Venter, also attested to English’s worth in the IPZ. “Don has done wonderful work in the IPZ, but has, at times, paid an unbelievable price for it. The impact he had there was enormous and it is a pity he is moving. Maybe it is his time for living a calmer life and to just be a field ranger in the true sense of the word, and less a soldier.”

According to Phaahla’s statement, a recent decision was undertaken to rotate two regional rangers and six section rangers for operational reasons. English was one of the rangers identified, and more rotations are set to follow in future.

Phaahla said, “Consultation with rangers on the proposed moves are at an advanced stage with some rangers, and concluded with others. These movements relate to the employment relationship between the employer and employee, are of a sensitive security nature and SANParks does not wish to make any further statements on this matter at the current time.”

DA shadow minister for environ-ment, forestry and fisheries, Dave Bryant, said the party would like SANParks to make this consultation process with the rangers to be made as public as possible without compromising security. “It should be made clear whether rangers fully back the rotation or if there are some concerns among them.” He mentioned that due to the lack of clarity in the SANParks response, assumptions on the possible reasons are being made that put the Kruger in a bad light. “SANParks needs to relook the statement and provide something more transparent.”

An extract from a Facebook post – Jamie Joseph Saving the Wild #KeepDonInTheIPZ:

These last few days I have shed many agonising tears over what I am about to do, but I need every single one of you to please to share this post if you want to save hundreds of #rhinos in #Kruger.

SANParks management are about to move regional ranger Don English out of Kruger’s IPZ – intense protection zone for rhinos – to far away up north where there are few rhinos. As soon as this happens, the poaching syndicates will infiltrate and smash the IPZ, and a lot of rhinos will be shot and slaughtered. To put this into perspective, when Don was suspended for two months, October to December 2019, on trumped-up charges by rangers caught poaching, poaching more than doubled during those two months.

Don English is the most critical rhino ranger on earth, because he is at the helm of protecting the largest population, and most importantly he is Kruger’s master of intelligence. He handles the informers – information – and warns his ranger teams of incoming incursions so they can set up ambushes. Kruger is the size of a small country – most often poachers are caught because of intel.

I am so sorry to Don’s family for all their suffering, mostly because of the awful way he has been treated by senior members of SANParks management, and I know it would be a lot less heartbreak to just walk away. But his family were raised with the wild, just like my family, and the risks are something we all have to live or die with, because the only thing worse is doing nothing at all.

Don English is one of a kind. Please, stand with us. Keep Don in the IPZ.

https://lowvelder.co.za/726397/controve ... tJokJwupKo

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Kruger Ranger Don English - Antipoaching Icon Under Siege

Post by Lisbeth »

:-?

0()

Peter Betts

Re: Kruger Ranger Don English - Antipoaching Icon Under Siege

Post by Peter Betts »

While Rhino Poaching Management is critical >> it forms about 5% max of the total REQUIRED Conservation effort in the Park. Don English is far more valuable elsewhere as good as he is with Rhino Poaching. After all what are the ARMY for >> get stuck in and conduct follow up operations into Moz (Massingir Village comes to mind) but Don could not was not allowed to do that >> He loves the North too

This article looks like it was written by a veritable armchair Bunny Hugger of note who doesnt see/understand the Big Picture

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”