CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Post by Klipspringer »

https://ewn.co.za/2019/12/27/top-sa-cyc ... ith-ranger

TOP SA CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER
A video emerged this afternoon showing Dlamini being pushed by what looks like a Table Mountain park ranger.

Kevin Brandt | 24 minutes ago
CAPE TOWN - One of South Africa's best cyclists is in a Cape Town hospital after a scuffle with a Table Mountain park ranger.

Nic Dlamini is a professional cyclist and Laureus Sports award nominee.

He's being assessed in hospital following an incident on Table Mountain on Friday morning.

A video emerged this afternoon showing Dlamini being pushed by what looks like a Table Mountain park ranger.

In the video, the man is seen shoving Dlamini, who's dressed in cycling gear, into the back of the vehicle.

One ranger approaches the person filming the incident, demanding to know who gave him permission to record.

Initial reports suggested Dlamini's arm was broken in the scuffle.

But a spokesperson for his team, NTT Pro Cycling, has told Eyewitness News that the extent of his injuries was under assessment at this stage.

They said they were aware of the video and would provide an update with regard to the incident.

For its part, SANParks said it's begun an investigation into the incident.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: CYCLIST NIC DLAMINI HOSPITALISED AFTER SCUFFLE WITH RANGER

Post by Klipspringer »

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, it seems he went in at Silvermine without paying! You can do anything in a Park, except that! :X: lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

I'm not backing SP but one gets the feeling just because he is this famous cyclist he can do whatever he wants

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Last edited by Klipspringer on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

https://www.velonews.com/2019/12/news/n ... arm_503436

Update: Witness ‘disgusted’ by how authorities abuse NTT’s Dlamini

Andrew Hood
December 27, 2019

A disturbing video posted on social media shows authorities man-handling the South African rider in such a brutal manner it broke the WorldTour pro's arm
In what’s a developing story, NTT rider Nic Dlamini appeared to suffer a broken arm after a brutal incident involving authorities in South Africa on Friday morning.

A video posted on social media shows authorities — park rangers from the Table Mountain National Park near Cape Town — brutally twisting the WorldTour rider’s left arm up behind his back. There is an audible “snap” in what is the sound of the breaking bone in his arm before he is shoved into the rear of a park vehicle.

VeloNews spoke via Skype with Donovan Le Cok, a Cape Town cyclist who recorded the disturbing video with his smart phone Friday. Le Cok described the scene as a heated tussle between park rangers and Dlamini that quickly escalated.

“There were park rangers checking permits, and they tried to stop him at the gate, and caused him to crash,” Le Cok told VeloNews. “He was in a bit of a shock and his bike was damaged. He and the park ranger were having a heated discussion, and maybe the ranger didn’t like his attitude.”

Le Cok said park access is controlled by a gate, but that park roads and trails are a popular riding area for local cyclists. A pass is required, but Le Cok said most riders have annual passes and typically ride directly in and out of the park. Reports suggest that authorities pulled Dlamini off of his bike after he did not stop to produce a required park pass.

Le Cok — who said he coincided with Dlamini on Friday morning who was riding alone on his road bike — decided to pull out his phone once he saw things heating up.

“It was very disturbing,” Le Cok said. “The ranger just man-handled him, twisting his arm up behind his head. You can hear it breaking. His arm was sticking in the wrong direction, and they threw him into the back of the vehicle.”

Le Cok’s video reveals that rangers also demanded that he stop recording the incident. Le Cok was deeply disturbed by what he witnessed, and shared it with a WhatsApp group among the tight-knit Cape Town cycling community. The video soon made it to Twitter.

“The sad thing is that those rangers are notorious for being aggressive,” Le Cok said. “I was there by pure luck. The whole incident was maybe one minute. I pulled out my phone because it was so disturbing.”

Officials released a statement that claimed that Dlamini was “resisting arrest” after not providing proof of entry, and said the event “spiraled causing the suspect to injure himself during the ordeal.”

NTT Pro Team officials, based in Johannesberg, released a scathing public statement, insisting on a full investigation into the incident. Doctors confirmed Dlamini suffered a fractured left humerus.

“I was both devastated and appalled to see the video of Nicholas on social media,” said NTT principal Douglas Ryder. “To watch a young man who I know so well in such unnecessary distress made me feel sick, to be honest. The way in which he was treated is simply not acceptable.”

Dlamini, 24, turned pro with NTT Pro Cycling (formerly Dimension Data) in 2017, and was scheduled to race the Santos Tour Down Under next month.

“I was disgusted,” Le Cok said. “I couldn’t believe what I was watching. These rangers are there to protect us from muggers and keep people safe on the mountain. It’s mind-blowing. It’s been a very unfortunate event. I hope he recovers quickly, because he had a lot of big plans for the season.”

Alf

Post by Alf »

I feel sorry for the rangers that were just doing there jobs. If you don't have a pass or permit then you are illegal my friend. It doesn't matter if you are a famous cyclist or the president

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Now minister Creecy has ordered the suspension of the SP staff even though she admits to not having all the facts... 0*\ :O^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

SANParks should train their staff better. You can not just respond to any offences in a violent act.

Very bad for international reputation and I am happy to see the minister to take this seriously!

Suspension is the right thing to do in terms of rule of law.

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”