Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus cripples Africa’s safari industry

Post by Lisbeth »

The visa restrictions are only due to to the Covid19

“Nothing we are doing is permanent, we are fighting a disease.”

Minister of Transport, Fikile Mbalula

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

One down: I got the payment for my bookings as a credit, even though it meant jumping some hoops.
At the end of the day I had to contact someone who is not in reservations anymore because under the
default address nobody bothered to answer despite me sending my email three times asking them
for some urgency as I only had two more days to really cancel with "only" 50% taken off my money
if push had come to shove.

Tomorrow, we'll hopefully learn more about our flight and Wild Card has been tackled with an email
as well by now.

Since the flight must be completed by the end of the year, we're looking into visiting SA over Christmas
and New Year. After that we'll only return if there is no permanent requirement of us getting a visa
to get into the country.

Let's see 0()

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

This is what I had to give up. I could still cry...
Once upon a time... a dream was destroyed 03-2020.png
Once upon a time... a dream was destroyed 03-2020.png (77.76 KiB) Viewed 476 times
It went on the system around 2.30 pm. By 4.30 pm EVERYTHING was gone.
Tells you stories too. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

it certainly tells that you have become very clever to become what you want :twisted: Just a pity that all this cleverness comes to nothing this time around :-(

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Oh, but my cleverness will only last so long until someone understands it and will post it all over Facebook like the other clues I had before. :twisted:

nan

Post by nan »

Mel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:31 pm This is what I had to give up. I could still cry...

Once upon a time... a dream was destroyed 03-2020.png

It went on the system around 2.30 pm. By 4.30 pm EVERYTHING was gone.
Tells you stories too. O**
wow 10 days in a row O/\
poor Mel, I can understand… I will cry too 0/0 0/0 0/0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Mel - that really sucks O0

graham

Re: SANParks responds to COVID 19 pandemic as it hits closer to home

Post by graham »

https://businesstech.co.za/news/busines ... AjUERkHQw0

If I have understood this correctly it seems that Sanparks cannot penalise you at all for cancellations owing to travel bans.

"South African Airways (SAA) on Friday (20 March) announced it will suspend all international and regional operations until May 2020, to help combat the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus.
It is not the only airline to cancel bookings, following numerous travel bans globally, while restrictions on gatherings has resulted in a flood of cancellations within the travel, entertainment and tourism industry.
This has caused widespread confusion about the rights and responsibilities of affected parties in relation to claims for refunds, says Consumer Goods & Services Ombudsman (CGSO), Magauta Mphahlele.
“While it is the view of the CGSO, based on its interpretation of the spirit and intent of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA), that consumers have a right to a full refund in these circumstances – if a postponement is possible, we urge consumers to rather take this option rather than request a refund to minimise the impact on suppliers who are also not at fault,” said Mphahlele.
She advised suppliers to treat each case on its merits and develop incentives to encourage consumers to accept postponements where possible.
Sections 17 and 47 of the CPA regulates voluntary cancellations by a consumer, as well as cancellations arising out of the inability of a supplier to provide a service either due to their own fault or circumstances that are outside of their control.
The declaration of a state of national disaster has forced both consumers and suppliers to cancel advance bookings and reservations due to the travel bans and restrictions on various types of gatherings.
It is therefore common cause that, in most cases, none of the parties are at fault where a cancellation must be processed, said Mphahlele.
Section 17 of the CPA deals with consumers’ rights to cancel bookings and reservations. In this section suppliers can charge a reservation deposit and a reasonable cancellation fee should a consumer cancel prematurely. However section 17(5) provides that:
“17 (5) A supplier may not impose any cancellation fee in respect of a booking, reservation or order if the consumer is unable to honour the booking, reservation or order because of the death or hospitalisation of the person for whom, or for whose benefit the booking, reservation or order was made”.
“It is therefore clear in the above section that consumers are not to be penalised for a cancellation that is due to illness or death,” said Mphahlele.
“While many individual consumers have not been tested for the Covid-19 virus, the restrictions imposed by the President and the Health Department is treating everyone as being ill, hence the restrictions.
“As a result, it is the interpretation of the CGSO, based on the intention behind section 17(5) of the CPA, that consumers are entitled to full refunds when they cancel due to the travel bans and restrictions on gatherings.”
Section 47(3) provides that:
(3) If a supplier makes a commitment or accepts a reservation to supply goods or services on a specified date or at a specified time and, on the date and at the time contemplated in the commitment or reservation, fails because of insufficient stock or capacity to supply those goods or services, or similar or comparable goods or services of the same or better quality, class or nature, the supplier must—
(a) refund to the consumer the amount, if any, paid in respect of that commitment or reservation, together with interest at the prescribed rate from the date on which the amount was paid until the date of reimbursement; and
(b) in addition, compensate the consumer for costs directly incidental to the supplier’s breach of the contract, except to the extent that subsection (5) provides otherwise.
“The above section entitles the consumer to two types of recourse if the supplier is at fault, a full refund with interest plus compensation for direct incidental costs,” said Mphahlele.
“However, where the supplier is not at fault and has taken reasonable steps to inform consumers about the shortage of stock or capacity, the consumer is only entitled to a refund and not consequential damages as per section 47(5).”
The CGSO’s view is that consumers cannot be charged a cancellation penalty and be refused a refund irrespective of who initiates the cancellation due to the travel bans and restrictions on gatherings.
“Many suppliers are offering consumers the option to postpone the bookings or reservations to a future date instead of a refund and this raises questions of whether suppliers have the right to do so and if consumers must accept that offer,” she said.
She added that Section 47(4) of the CPA does allow the supplier to rely on a legal defence against a claim for a refund if they make an alternative offer to satisfy the promise to deliver, but the consumer has to consider and choose if they want to accept that offer.
Mphahlele further cautioned suppliers not to use the disaster to circumvent the law and unnecessarily inflate the prices of goods and services.
“If suppliers are not able to resolve disputes relating to cancellations between themselves and consumers, they are to advise consumers to approach the CGSO,” she said."

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: SANParks responds to COVID 19 pandemic as it hits closer to home

Post by Lisbeth »

It sounds more like an interpretation, although a very reasonable and logic one, by the CGSO rather than a clear answer from a clear law.

Here in Europe, the Consumer organizations are quite influential and I suppose it is so also in SA.

:ty: for posting Graham \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Two down: SAA would have a flight for us on the dates we'd need if we postpone our trip to December / January.
Downside is - it is more expensive since our original booking classes are not available anymore.

We agreed with them on giving them some time to sort themselves out after the announcement that SAA suspends
all international flights for the time being came crashing down on them. (They actually shut off their telephone
lines of the German service centre in Munich because they couldnt cope with the flood of calls anymore.)

Then we'll try to negotiate to see if SAA is willing to accommodate us with only half of the surplus price.
If not, we'll probably cancel with a loss of about 30% of the original cost for the flights.

Still an okay deal for us, considering we never paid for travel insurance over the years.

No news from Wild Card yet. I'll get breathing down their necks from Monday again :twisted:

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”