Shooting of the 'LION ON THE LOOSE'

Information and Discussion on Ezemvelo KZN Management Issues
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife

Media Statement by the MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs Nomusa Dube-Ncube

16 March 2020
Melmoth: I have just been alerted by Ezemvelo Wildlife that after intensive special search operation, game rangers shot and killed a Lion which has been terrorising the community of KwaYanguye (Sanguye) – Melmoth under uMthonjaneni Local Municipality.
On the 3rd November last year, a lion attacked Jabulani Biyela in KuNgqekwane around Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve. He miraculously survived and spent three weeks at Ngwelezane Hospital. Since the attack and his discharge from hospital, officials from my office visited his family to monitor his recovery.
As I await an official report from Ezemvelo Wildlife around this shooting, I wish to assure traditional leaders, leaders of society and local communities that their safety and the protection of their livestock is our major priority.
I must hasten to point out that we value the support from the members of Standing Committee on Public Accounts; and the Portfolio Committee on Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental affairs.
The members, in exercising their oversight role over the executive, they have been engaging me on a number of issues including the ongoing repair to the damaged fence of Umfolozi Game Reserve. This will help to protect important species including wild dogs.
We will continue, as the department, to work with leaders across all political lines – traditional leaders, community leaders, communities and nature conservationists.
We believe that an integrated approach involving all stakeholders is the only way of making an impact as opposed to working in isolation. Nature conservation is critical in order to provide us with yet another avenue to confront the challenge of unemployment, poverty and inequality.
A comprehensive statement around the shooting of this lion last night will be issued to the members of the media.
Ends

Issued by the Leader of Government Business: MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and
Environmental Affairs Nomusa Dube-Ncube

Enquiries

Ndabezinhle Sibiya – Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs
082 375 4742

Nathi Olifant - Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs
060 970 5113

Musa Mntambo - KZN Ezemvelo Wildlife
083 2849586

Return to “Ezemvelo KZN Management Issues”