One of my best holidays ever - DORDOGNE-Perigord, France

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Alf

Re: One of my best holidays ever - DORDOGNE-Perigord, France

Post by Alf »

Do they call that a kitchen =O: =O:

Lovely garden indeed

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Again the views are breathtaking, Lisbeth \O

Awesome peacock shot and the caves are interesting as well :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Heavy-maintenance garden indeed! :shock:

What is a peacock called in French? lol

Interesting that the chateau was declared historic in 1944, in the bitterest part of the war? Maybe just after freedom! ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Even if there was still the war, the various ministries had probably started to work again -O-

Peacock is Paon in French, Pavone in Italian, påfugl in Danish and Pfau in German. Those are the ones I know ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

One day we decided to visit the Capital of the Dordogne region, Sarlat-la-Caneda, as the weather was not great and it was market day. The markets in Southern France, and not only, are always special. They are colourful, crowded and have everything from antiques to flowers, from cheese to shoes ;-)

It’s easy to succumb to the charms of this medieval town, with its *lauze-stone roofs, medieval houses, and Renaissance mansions. (*Lauze is a generic flat stone, sometimes cut in regular rectangular or square shape and usually used for paving slabs or walkways, patios, flooring, fences and roofing.)

We bought among other things the best cherries, that I have ever eaten, big and dark. We ate cherries for three days in a row lol lol

026_27A.jpg
024_25A.jpg
017_22A.jpg

The city is very lively throughout the year with its bi-weekly markets on Wednesday and Saturday morning, a must-have stage during a stay in Périgord.

025_26A.jpg
027_28A.jpg
028_29A.jpg
018_23A.jpg

Sarlat: The capital of Périgord noir
Located to the east of the department between Dordogne and Vézère, Sarlat is now one of the most beautiful medieval ensembles in Europe. Protected from modernism by the law Malraux, Sarlat has preserved the picturesque of its alleys and the beauty of its monuments. The city holds the record of density in historic monuments classified or listed in the national inventory with 65 monuments and protected buildings.
To go through its alleys is to read almost a thousand years of authentic architecture where, from the pavement to the roofs of slate, predominates this hot and blond stone.....
Rooted in the heart of its terroir, Sarlat is the ideal place to discover the gastronomy Périgourdine: in paradise of truffles, mushrooms, foie gras, candies, pies, and fine delicatessens of country, the périgourdins (related have been able to maintain for centuries, This great culinary tradition, a true quintessence of aromas and flavors that you will find on the beautiful market of Sarlat.

019_24A.jpg
029_30A.jpg
031_32A.jpg
032_33A.jpg
033_34A.jpg
034_35A.jpg
030_31A.jpg

Sarlat is full of history. The sign on the house shown in this photo states that Etienne La Boétie was born here in 1530. La Boétie was a writer, diplomat, judge and a founder of modern French political philosophy, but is probably best known today as the famous friend of the philosopher Michel de Montaigne.

027_28B.jpg

023_12A.jpg

035_36A.jpg

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

Interesting buildings \O

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

These markets are always the best \O

Beautiful buildings on top \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What an assortment of buildings! :shock:

Cherries seem to be a big thing in Europe? -O-

Very informative work, Lis. 0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I have never ever seen a peacock displaying... what a sight :-0

Those trimmed (and obviously well watered) trees and hedges look artificial but still enticing, methinks.
Also, I love that architecture, but am not to fond of the intereure of the rich people's quarters. The kitchen is more to my liking.
Maybe a pillow on the bench for more comfort, but other than that - great areas to gather. lol

Salart is pretty indeed!

Love French markets too. I still have some cute dungarees that I bought back when I was 18. And I still fit in them, barely but I manage to get in and out without the need to open a stitch lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So much to see!! \O \O

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”