Whistlestop dreams at Tsendze

krugerbru

Whistlestop dreams at Tsendze

Post by krugerbru »

This trip report has been coming for some time now, but I've needed 3 months to find some time to sit down and tell you abut the suberbly relaxing time we had up in Tzendze.

When I was last in Kruger, in November 2018, while we were at Tzendze having the time of our lives, we decided to swap the 3 nights we had at Letaba in a riverside bungalow, for an additional 3 nights at Tsendze. That was like hitting the jackpot, as we got to stay extra nights at my absolute new favourite camp in Kruger, and they gave me credit on my San Parks account for future bookings. I used this credit for 4 nights in Tsendze this last December. A free trip to Kruger. Come on!!

Now every time I pack my faithful old Prado before a camping trip. Everything goes in a different way, I'm not sure why, but when I finally close that door, it's extremely satisfying. It's now Kruger's eve and a restless night is in store, as I had a 4AM alarm that I didn't want to miss. Well we didn't, and got to Phalaborwa gate from Johannesburg by 10:30AM. I even surprised myself, and it gave ample time to meander up to Mopani for check-in, and unplanned lunch to feed the hangry boys. The views on the deck at the restraurant over Pioneer dam were breathtaking, and we were the only ones there. Now back to Tsendze to strike camp.

We found ourselves very fortunate with the timing of this trip, as Kruger had some heavy rains which closed many gravel roads. We were exteremly fortuitous as were given the all clear at Phalaborwa gate. Time to take the foot off the gas and unwind.

Last edited by krugerbru on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alf

Re: Whistlestop dreams at Tsendze

Post by Alf »

So glad to see you started this trip report

O/\ O/\

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

O/\ O/\ 0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

0() 0() O/\

KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Excellent, bru! O\/ O\/

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

I had only been to Tsendze once before and stayed in site 3 which, incase you're not aware is fairly close to the gate on the right hand side as you drive in. We really enjoyed it, but I tried for another site this trip. 14, 26 and 28 were all booked before I got finally got 27.

Well we were very happy when we got there. It's a little exposed on the one side towards 28, but with nobody there or at 26, it was extremely peaceful on the river side of the camp.

The Woodland Kingfishers, who are my favourite bird in the park, were in full cry and in the large trees around our site, we had ample opportunity to spot them.

Tent up, still looking sterile, but time for a beer.

Oh yes, and I'd been checking the weather a lot. It was looking very mild for December. Only one 30+ deg. day, which was more than I could have asked for.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

A camping trip to the North in the green season ^Q^ and even for "free" lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Nice and neat there, bru!

And happy family? \O

It does need a beer, you are right! ..0..

You were VERY lucky with the temperatures then.. O:V O:V

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

We need to talk about the Cicada's though. What is your formula for keeping them away? You obviously need light, but they seem to want to more than you. It was incessant. Some people say you need to invest in a red light. Is this the formula?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I don't know that you can do much, bru. It is bad luck when you are near a really big squad of cicadas..so move campsites! 0:

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”