COVID Impact on Tourism in South Africa

Helping you to be a Responsible Tourist
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: COVID Impact on Tourism in South Africa

Post by Lisbeth »

Good idea, Mel 0/0

I can sleep once in the park and then go to wherever I am going to stay \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

:yes: \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

SA now on the UK green travel list.
Hopefully tourists will start returning in big numbers soon

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

More than 300 000 people in UK could head to SA after red-list removal

Penelope Mashego, 07.10.2021
  • South Africa’s main inbound tourism industry body says there was an immediate jump in enquiries from UK travellers after the announcement that the country will be removed from the UK red list.
  • The UK government announced that quarantine-free travel between that country and South Africa will resume on 11 October, and SA vaccine certificates will also be regarded as valid proof of vaccination.
  • The CEO of the Tourism Business Council of SA urged all workers in the tourism industry to get vaccinated.
More than 300 000 British passport holders could visit friends and family or take advantage of holiday deals across southern Africa after the UK revised its travel red list, according to an estimate from South Africa’s main inbound tourism industry body.

On Thursday, the UK scrapped tough Covid-19 quarantine travel rules for 47 destinations, including South Africa.

The Southern Africa Tourism Services Association (Satsa), which represents 1 350 businesses, said UK operators had already seen a jump in enquiries from "sun-starved Brits looking for a winter escape", just after the announcement.

The UK has traditionally been South Africa's biggest source of international tourists, and the local economy lost an estimated R790 million per month while the country was on the red list.

The UK started to imposed travel restrictions on South Africa in December last year, and Thursday's announcement followed months of lobbying, including a call from President Cyril Ramaphosa to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

"We do want to thank the president, the minister of tourism, the minister of international relations and everybody else who has worked on this from the public sector, for the work that they have done. It wouldn’t have happened if they didn’t get involved," CEO of the Tourism Business Council of SA Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa said.

He told Fin24 that people working in the tourism value chain now need to be vaccinated and protocols should be followed to avoid incidents that may tarnish the work done to get South Africa off the list.

Cape Town’s mayoral committee member for economic opportunities and asset management, James Vos, said the city is ready for British travellers. He plans to contact the Britain’s High Commissioner and Consul General to discuss the city’s plans to attract international travellers.

Vos also appealed to the government to implement a remote worker visa, saying Cape Town is a favourite location for "digital nomads" with high incomes, and asked the government to approve Delta Airlines’ request to fly to Cape Town.

READ | US airline Delta resumes direct Joburg route - but Cape Town still a no-go for now
Quarantine-free travel for vaccinated travellers will resume on 11 October between the UK and South Africa. South Africa is one of the 47 countries the UK is removing from the red list. Only seven destinations - Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Haiti, Panama, Peru and Venezuela - remain on the red list.

"From 04:00 [on] Monday, 11 October, eligible travellers vaccinated in over 37 new countries and territories including Brazil, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Pakistan, South Africa and Turkey, will also be treated the same as returning fully vaccinated UK residents, so long as they have not visited a red list country or territory in the 10 days before arriving in England," said Transport Secretary Grant Shapp.

In addition to its removal from the red list, South Africa’s vaccine certificates will also be regarded as valid proof of vaccination by the UK government from 11 October.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:56 pm
In addition to its removal from the red list, South Africa’s vaccine certificates will also be regarded as valid proof of vaccination by the UK government from 11 October.
I am hoping SA will do the same.
And drop the requirement of a (negative) pcr test on arrival

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Do they still have that 0*\ It really does not make much of a difference, one might be positive the next day.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Lisbeth wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am Do they still have that 0*\ It really does not make much of a difference, one might be positive the next day.
As far as I can see, yes, it's still in place.

And agree 100%.
One could pick up the virus 5 mins after being tested....

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:46 am Do they still have that 0*\ It really does not make much of a difference, one might be positive the next day.
Try going to Australia and New Zealand. S Africa is a walk in the Park by Comparison

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I don't have to go to Australia nor New Zealand O**

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Are any other nation than Australians and New Zealanders actually allowed to enter their respective fellow countries?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Your Holidays - Responsible Tourism”