Addo 2020

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Addo 2020

Post by PJL »

Not surprisingly, visits have been a bit sparse to the park this year [CV19] [CV19]

However I realised that we had a trip shortly before the lockdown that I forgot to include... and now another new one from last weekend - our first since the park has re-opened O\/

So first up, the trip back in March. It appeared that yellow mongoose had taken over the previous bat-eared fox den on Vukani loop

The southern loops were pretty quiet, but we found a nice kudu near Lismore. The park was also looking very green back then after some decent rainfall... not nearly enough to ease the drought, but enough to make everything look better O**

There really wasn't much going on, so we ventured further north and on Gorah loop found a few eland soaking up the sun O:V

There was another yellow mongoose family along the loop

One of the most amazing things during the day was the number of zebra we saw. I still remember in years gone by when it would be almost rare to see a zebra, but they seem to be dominating lately

Near Carols Rest we found one of only a few elephants we saw on this trip

As well as a rather battered old buffalo bull

Heading to the main camp for some lunch we found a tortoise near Domkrag, and shortly after a black-headed heron was struggling to swallow its lunch :shock:

Our drive back south through the park after lunch was fairly quiet as well. We saw a juvenile pale chanting goshawk and a treekat O\/

I'm not entirely sure what the elephant had eaten for breakfast, but whatever it was these dung beetles were swarming for it! I don't think we've ever seen so many in a concentrated spot of poo before lol

A last splash of colour to round off the day was this cape longclaw seen along the southern access road

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo 2020

Post by Mel »

About time you bring some news from the Addo again O\/ Of course none of your fault, but I was and am missing reports from my favourite parks.

[CV19] :O^

Beautiful photos! And the number of dung beetles in on dung heap is amazing indeed.
Love all those mongeese [Luv]

Bring on the lions if there are too many zebra O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:27 pm Bring on the lions if there are too many zebra O**
Absolutely! But they got rid of a lot so we only have 7 left in the park now O/ O/ O/

harrys

Post by harrys »

Some beautiful photos ^Q^ ^Q^

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Alf

Post by Alf »

A treekat =O:

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Great dung beetle observation ^Q^ ^Q^

March might be breeding peak time lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Traffic peak time in the dung :shock: ;-)

Mongooses O/\

Maybe there are not enough lions and the zebra numbers grow -O-

Lovely to have news from Addo \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely pics. \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:55 am Maybe there are not enough lions and the zebra numbers grow -O-
The lion population has been significantly reduced because they were finding it too easy to take down the buffalos - the drought has meant the buffs are not in such great condition. The park makes a lot of their money from buffalo sales so they're just protecting their income stream. To my mind interfering like that will simply have other consequences.

PJL

Post by PJL »

Our first post-lockdown visit to Addo was last Saturday. There is quite a lot of information circling around at the moment about the lockdown guidelines. From what I had read, if we did a pre-booking and arrived with all the paperwork pre-printed it would simply be a case of having our temperatures taken whilst in our car before being allowed in to the park. It wasn't quite so simple 0*\

The gate entry form had to be re-entered because the online version doesn't match 'their' version or something like that. Then we had to queue up at reception in order to get our gate entry permit. Despite the pre-booking, that took forever which I couldn't understand. You would think that the whole idea of the pre-booking and pre-printing of forms would be that it could cut out the reception interaction and hence be safer. To be honest the confusion around what to do had people moving around more than they would on a normal visit 0*\ 0: 0:

Anyway, once in the park we went straight to Peasland and had a bit of a hunt for anything interesting around there. Friends had travelled Vukani without any luck so we then took Ngulube. At the waterhole half way round the loop we stopped to scan for a bit and it payed off with a hyena popping its head up ^Q^

The rest of the south was quiet. At Marion Baree we saw a shy jackal

There was a bit of nice early morning activity at Hapoor with a couple of buffalo enjoying a drink O/\

At Rooidam we came across this magnificent kudu bull, as well as a Bokmakierie singing away O\/

We had our lunch at Hapoor and some ellies had started pulling in for a drink O:V

At spekboom there was also a herd with a couple of youngsters in tow O\/ O\/

Back down on Ngulube we found a bull elephant who seemed to be playing King of the Castle

Near the end of the loop these 3 musketeers were strolling up the road with Algoa Bay in the background. There can't be many places that you can see elephant with the sea behind O:V

The last sighting of the day was a secretary bird on Vukani

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”