Animals outside the parks?

Information and Discussions on Kenya Game Parks
Preppie

Animals outside the parks?

Post by Preppie »

Hello, here in Sweden, we have not so many designated areas as national parks, we have only one main zoo where you can drive around among some animals, but this is a fenced area.

However, driving down any highway, there is always the potential to see moose, deer, and in rare occasions bears and wolf, etc. The parks aren't typically fenced off, and animals go wherever they feel like.

So is it possible in any area in Tanzania or Kenya to see an elephant or giraffe etc in any general area, or are they all just in the game reserves? Obviously, nobody will be able to say "Oh yeah, there's always a lion at mile marker 16 on Hwy X!" or otherwise guarantee any sightings.

I was just curious if the random sightings I am used to are a Scandinavian thing, or if I should keep my eyes open all over Tanzania and Kenya when we are coming there.

We gonna be there for 6 months next year, but have not decided where to rent the main house as a homebase.

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Animals outside the parks?

Post by Richprins »

Hello, Preppie!

As far as I know game parks are not fenced in Kenya as a rule, so animals move freely into communities. Some main roads even pass through parks!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Parks like Masaai mara and One of the Tsavo Parks are fenced but as Rich says the rest are open areas ..

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Come to South Africa ..Many areas have Wilderness areas like the unfenced areas of the Kalahari and in Namibia apart from say Etosha and Waterberg everything is open like Kaokaland and Damaraland and Caprivi and Namib Rand ..In the Eastern Cape of S Africa the Farms are fenced but our Kudu Population belongs to everyone ..They disregard all fences and go where they want ... In Kenya it is best to view Wild animals in Game Reserves even if they are unfenced ..Masaai Mara , Amboseli , Marsabit, Tsavo, Mt Kenya Park, Lake Natron etc etc are great as is Ruaha and Selous and Serengeti in Tanzania

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

In S Africas Kruger Park we have 2 x International Roads between SA and Mocambique that go right through the Park too

Return to “All you need to know about Kenya Game Parks”