Stories from Tar Roads and From Spots

Pumbaa

Stories from Tar Roads and From Spots

Post by Pumbaa »

One can discuss at length whether it is advisable or not in these special times to travel from Europe to our beloved Kruger in South Africa but that was our own decision and believe me it was not an easy one but we observed at length all the restrictions during a longer period. We only booked our flights extreme late only after South Africa opened the borders again for international tourists and after Lufthansa cut down their flights to and back from South Africa to Europe to only three per week our flights changed and we had to change our camp bookings in Kruger too it was already late December and due to the restrictions in our own country we even were not sure whether this trip might get started.

On top our believed 16 year old female cat Noriko was ill for a longer period already and even died in the night before we were scheduled to board the aircraft so we were extreme sad at least the comfortable thing when talking about comfortable at all that she slept peacefully in on her favourite place and went over the rainbow bridge but we were and are still that sad that we lost her but she must have been with us during that trip as the title might reveal and is still with us.

Overall we never felt uncomfortable during that trip as everyone either at the airport, in the lodges or in Kruger itself did their very best to took effects and worked out concepts that are logical and made the best out of the present situation to keep either staff or customers healthy and to continue at least a “normal” life as far as possible.

Friday, 12. February 2021 – O.R. Tambo – Malelane

It was in fact a strange and so totally different start to our trip but we finally made it and also the forms we had to fill in and negative covid tests we had to made prior to our trip worked out well so that the passport check was done in no minute and also at the car rental station we were through in record time and we already thought that we might made it also in record time to our lodge in Malelane this year but we were so wrong…..First we had been held up in a traffic jam due to a car accident for half and hour and then on the N4 prior and after Nelspruit there were several road works within a very short distance which nearly took endless with even stop and go in between but we somehow made it and even had time for an excessive shopping marathon at the Malelane Spar which was packed with people on that Friday afternoon….for sure we then arrived only around 17.00 o’clock at our lodge but it was unbelievable that we were here so that I was not that unhappy when Timon simply grabbed his camera to stroll a bit around in the garden of the lodge to the river until it would get too dark whilst I was busy with the un- or better to say repacking of our luggage and stuff for our Kruger stay although I would have loved to spent a bit time as well with him close to the river but I enjoyed the view from time to time from the balcony.

The Crocodile river was full after the recent heavy rainfalls and the flowers were flourishing as also during the previous years

but this year we unfortunately did not detect any sunbird on top of the flowers.

On the other side of the river a bush acted as resting spot for white breasted cormorants

and the more carefully we watched to the bush the more we discovered.

A couple of Egyptian goose were hanging around on some sand islands in the river

and also a large crocodile enjoyed taking a sunbath.

The black smith plovers were plentiful and stood in perfect V formation.

The views into the nearby landscape were not that bad either

but it already looked very much as if heavy rain clouds are about to arrive.

As not much more was hanging around Timon decided to pay also the small pond at the parking area of the lodge a visit and here lots of weavers were busy in building

or refurbishing their nests.

Needless to say that the noise level was ear-splitting but how we missed that – Sigh!

Also the pond itself was full of water and so the trees and bushes around the pond attracted all the birdies

although must say that this year we only spotted weavers there.

Meanwhile it was already late and Timon went back to the river for a short visit there before the rain might set in and there a spur-winged goose just took off a bird we unfortunately had not seen that regular in Kruger over the past years.

Timon now joined me at our balcony and from there we had a nice view onto a group of spreckled mousebirds at least onto one of them as the others stayed too much hidden

indeed another lovely sighting right at the beginning of our trip

and meanwhile the rain started slowly and got within seconds more and more

and we already thought that we might come drenched to the restaurant but shortly before we had booked our table it was dry again and so we enjoyed dinner from the deck with a view into the riverbed very much and as already our previous visits here revealed that the food and service is always excellent and so it was today and we fell nearly right in bed when we were back at our room where the ordered breakfast packs waited already for us.

to be continued…..

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Stories from Tar Roads and From Spots

Post by Richprins »

Oh wow, Pumbaa! I can't believe you made it to Kruger after all! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Well done and looking forward to another smashing trip! :ty: 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

You are crazy! And I pull off my hat to you and hubby! ^Q^

Apart from losing your beloved cat, it must have been an ordeal to carry out a trip to SA in times likes these. :shock:

Did you have to quarantine for two weeks afterwards? And if so, how did you manage? Both working from home?

Oh, I got so many questions...

Usually the plane would be packed on a flight to Jo'berg. How was it this time? Was it quieter at OR Tambo as usual?

Oh, the photos are quality \O O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

You are a real cheater! Just leaving for SA without saying anything 0' Obviously you made it as you are back home lol lol

I am so sorry about your cat :-( A good thing that you left and had other things to think about :yes:

Lovely birds as always in the place ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

O/\ O\/

\O Thank you for making the trip ,it is so difficult to travel now but sometimes you just have to take the risk .Looking forward to this O:V

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:43 pm Oh wow, Pumbaa! I can't believe you made it to Kruger after all! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Well done and looking forward to another smashing trip! :ty: 0()
Yes, we still cannot believe our luck that we were there \O

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Mel wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:16 pm You are crazy! And I pull off my hat to you and hubby! ^Q^

Apart from losing your beloved cat, it must have been an ordeal to carry out a trip to SA in times likes these. :shock:

Did you have to quarantine for two weeks afterwards? And if so, how did you manage? Both working from home?

Oh, I got so many questions...

Usually the plane would be packed on a flight to Jo'berg. How was it this time? Was it quieter at OR Tambo as usual?

Oh, the photos are quality \O O:V
It sent you already a PM - Be rest assured that we observed all restrictions and regulations over months nearly daily \O

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:40 pm You are a real cheater! Just leaving for SA without saying anything 0' Obviously you made it as you are back home lol lol

I am so sorry about your cat :-( A good thing that you left and had other things to think about :yes:

Lovely birds as always in the place ^Q^ ^Q^
Totally right always good to think of other things when a beloved one had to go :-( I did not say anything as we only decided to go only shortly prior departure but we were so happy that everything went well X#X

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

RogerFraser wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:23 pm O/\ O\/

\O Thank you for making the trip ,it is so difficult to travel now but sometimes you just have to take the risk .Looking forward to this O:V
Totally right South Africa was open so we had to go back to Europe is a bit more difficult due to the quarantine :shock:

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Next installment is about to follow O** O** O**

PuMbAa

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”