Stories from Tar Roads and From Spots

Pumbaa

Re: Stories from Tar Roads and From Spots

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:57 pm Methinks that the yellow thingie is a yellow-crowned bishop, but most likely a lifer anyway ;-) Surely, I have never seen one in Kruger :-) The same goes for the leopard lol

The raptor is quite a puzzle :-? If it had yellow eyes it would be an osprey....but it hasn't O** lol
0() 0()
Yes, I meant a yellow crowned bishop - Indeed a lifer and a more than nice surprise. ^Q^ Still trying to find out the id of the raptor. As soon as I got a reply I will let you know. :yes:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

harrys wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:16 pm Some wonderful bird photos and then a Leopard ^Q^ ^Q^
Yes although the weather was in fact not nice the sightings O/\ were

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:44 pm It must get a bit depressing after a while with all the wetness, Pumbaa! lol

What a day with all the cat species,especially in the north! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Congratulations indeed! X#X

Lovely pics, I like the wet ostrich!

And the Shingwedzi sure is full!

I think the eagle is a pale form Wahlbergs. \O

0()
The size fro the Wahlberg might fit :shock: Yes although I love rain that was indeed a bit to much over the whole trip -O-

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

RogerFraser wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:15 pm ^Q^ What lovely pics despite the weather .

That Stork really does seem to be watchin the weather lol

Last time we went over the causeway it was a drought so nice to see the water \O
This year it also looked completely different with nearly no water left but that was indeed a bit too much water :-)

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

We stopped for giraffes,

very hidden buffaloes

and waterbucks.

We meanwhile turned around and as it was still too early we drove a bit into the Northern direction of the H1-7 where we discovered a tree with ground hornbills

whilst another part of them were on the ground and one could not decide where to stay.

Then another highlight and lifer for us a red footed falcon close to the road in a bush

with a kill in form of a critter. Indeed such a wonderful sight, however, the falcon for our liking far too soon decided to take its lunch somewhere else.

Slowly we meanwhile drove back to camp and were in fact extreme happy that for the rest of the day the rain had gone and we noticed in the high grass a great number of white winged widowbirds but always hidden but finally one of them landed right there where we wanted him to land

and he even was then more too willing to pose for a couple of shots.

It was then also time to check in and as always when staying at Shingwedzi we got bungalow No. B70 which I requested for and we stayed quite long in camp and only decided to do a short afternoon drive which leaded us to the confluence where we photographed Carmine bee eaters

although must say that the rest of the bee eaters species where today not willing to join them and stayed away.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Whilst driving then slowly back to camp along the river a group of elephants came steadily nearer

again with a couple of little ones between them

out of which this one was extreme curios and eyed us suspiciously from behind a bush

and then dared to come closer

only to follow in the end the rest of the herd.

Today we lit the braai already with heavy hearts as this was our very last braai in the park and we packed everything on the table or on the braai which had to be eaten when it comes to vegetables such a potatoes, tomatoes, feta and for sure meat a sort of braai from left overs as tomorrow we wanted to use the restaurant. We stayed quite long outside and simply enjoyed the peaceful evening.

Sunday, 28. February 2021 – Shingwedzi

Explored roads: H1-6 – S52 – H1-6 – S101 – S50 – Confluence

When we opened the sliding door we noticed that the rain set once again in and so we did something we normally never do when in Kruger we waited a while until it got a bit brighter as it was still pitch dark. So we were not the first at the gate when we only left camp after 45 minutes although the rain continued. On top due to the road closures not many options could be selected, however, we wanted at least drive the S52 a bit as the Southern part was open. We stopped for a brown eagle

and then we already stood at Red Rocks where lots of water was coming down

normally we do stop there as last highlight after we drove the S52 already completely but today we had no other option in starting there

at least the resident fish eagle could be spotted.

After a nice but short break we carried on and noticed a saddle billed stork along the roadside

who was more than willing to pose for a couple of shots.

to be continued………

PuMbAa

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There is something conflicting in the bird world.....

Ground hornbills fluttering around in the trees, red-footed falcon with yellow feet, white-winged widowbird with black wings and yellow shoulders.... :-? lol lol

The tinyphant has such small tusks [Luv]

A pity that it rained at Redrocks :-(

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Beautiful sightings, Pumbaa! ^Q^
That buffalo has very wide horns! :shock:

And nice to see the red-foot catching one of those disgusting armoured crickets! O/\

Redrocks looks cool with the cascading water! [Luv]

I wish I could see your leftover braai! :-0

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:43 am There is something conflicting in the bird world.....

Ground hornbills fluttering around in the trees, red-footed falcon with yellow feet, white-winged widowbird with black wings and yellow shoulders.... :-? lol lol

The tinyphant has such small tusks [Luv]

A pity that it rained at Redrocks :-(
It nearly rained the whole day :-( That conflicts in the bird world is making the bird world interesting \O

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:53 pm Beautiful sightings, Pumbaa! ^Q^
That buffalo has very wide horns! :shock:

And nice to see the red-foot catching one of those disgusting armoured crickets! O/\

Redrocks looks cool with the cascading water! [Luv]

I wish I could see your leftover braai! :-0

0()
It was a lot water coming down and the braai was yummy X#X

PuMbAa

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”