The Great Escape

PJL

The Great Escape

Post by PJL »

Sunday July 4th

A year ago we had plans to visit our family & friends in the UK but Covid put an indefinite pause to that. We were hoping that we might be able to go this year, but as SA is still on their ‘red’ list we turned our attention to an escape to Kruger instead. We managed to pick up some cancellations and squeeze a good couple of weeks of camping bookings into the downsized school holidays starting 10th July staying at Berg en Dal, Crocodile Bridge and Satara. However, with less than 2 weeks to go and Covid cases rising in SA, along came a ‘family meeting’ on 27 June where we waited to find out from the president if we would be allowed to travel at all. :-? --00-- 0:

The meeting brought good news and bad news. We were still allowed to travel, but they changed the school holidays to a week earlier, and Sanparks put a block on all accommodation alterations up to 11th July until the government decided whether they had to have 50% capacity or not. Once that got cleared up and the bookings re-opened we scrambled to adjust our plans to fit in with the updated school holiday and set off just a few days later with an updated itinerary of camping at Skukuza and Satara, plus a break in the middle in one of the huts in Lower Sabie… the great escape was on! O\/ O\/

We hit the road from PE as soon as curfew allowed at 4am, and were well on our way through the Eastern Cape when it started to come light. O:V

Traffic was much lighter than normal along the N1 through the Free State now that Gauteng residents were no longer allowed to travel without valid reasons (although we were to see a number of very suspicious GP plated cars in Kruger :X: ).

Transit through Gauteng was supposed to be allowed under the latest lockdown regulations, but no-one seemed to be totally clear on how it was being policed so we were a bit nervous as we came across a number of roadblocks. Thankfully no questions were asked (perhaps that’s not a good sign -O- ), and we made record time to our overnight stop in Middelburg.

Monday July 5th

The next morning we were up early and through to Nelspruit for stocking up on supplies before heading into Kruger at Phabeni gate. We took the direct route along the S1 to Skukuza, and there was the usual array of game seen along the way. O/\

Nyamundwa was all quiet except for some hippos in the distance

A rather large bull was getting a decent mud treatment

We’ve never seen all that many warthog in Kruger before, but this trip they seemed to be everywhere!

Close to Skukuza this giant was part of the welcoming committee \O

Thankfully the weather wasn’t too hot so setting up camp was easy enough (finding an empty site was the hard part). After a big journey it was great to relax! X#X X#X
Last edited by PJL on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: The Great Escape

Post by Lisbeth »

0() 0() \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Nice Pics Pete >> we are going for 6 weeks Mid Aug to end Sept . As Gauteng has been closed lately we are going via E FS and Barbeton into Berg en dal 2 nights to stock up at Malelane Super Spar then 10 nights Shingwedzi , 14 Nights at Punda Maria and 12 nights Tsendze >> I hardly Ever do crowded South of Olifants River anymore.. Cant wait >> charging the Batteries in the Trailer and planning like mad from working out Moon positions for Astro and where the Milky way will be at the various camps >> Punda is looking good as it will be straight in front of the camping area so will try and get the waterhole in with the Milkyway above >> I missed the last 2 years in Kruger >> first time since 1951 so gotta make up time and the Petrol Price makes me go longer and less frequently like the good old days :-0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

A PJL trip report! :ty: :ty:

Nice pics so far, Peej, and glad it worked out! X#X

Love the warthog bumshots.

Was the booze ban on the go yet? lol --00--

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:48 pm0() 0() \O
\O \O
Peter Betts wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:49 pm Nice Pics Pete >> we are going for 6 weeks Mid Aug to end Sept . As Gauteng has been closed lately we are going via E FS and Barbeton into Berg en dal 2 nights to stock up at Malelane Super Spar then 10 nights Shingwedzi , 14 Nights at Punda Maria and 12 nights Tsendze >> I hardly Ever do crowded South of Olifants River anymore.. Cant wait >> charging the Batteries in the Trailer and planning like mad from working out Moon positions for Astro and where the Milky way will be at the various camps >> Punda is looking good as it will be straight in front of the camping area so will try and get the waterhole in with the Milkyway above >> I missed the last 2 years in Kruger >> first time since 1951 so gotta make up time and the Petrol Price makes me go longer and less frequently like the good old days :-0
Sounds like a great trip you have planned Peter \O
I know the south can be busy but it was a lot quieter than normal this time which was great X#X
Richprins wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:54 pm ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

A PJL trip report! :ty: :ty:

Nice pics so far, Peej, and glad it worked out! X#X

Love the warthog bumshots.

Was the booze ban on the go yet? lol --00--

0()
Yep the booze ban was in place unfortunately RP 0:

PJL

Post by PJL »

Monday July 5th contd...

After all the travelling to get to Kruger, we planned only a short afternoon drive down towards Paul Kruger gate, then along the S3, S4, S1 and a bit of the S65 to check Nwaswitshaka.

Along the S3 we found a fish eagle on its perch O:V

At the S4 junction there were a couple of kudu hanging about

We found more birds along the way with a distant tawny, some oxpeckers doing their job, a lilac breasted roller showing off its colours as well as a red crested korhaan ^Q^

Along the S1 there was a hyena resting by its den. We figured it would be worth popping back there later after our deviation down part of the S65

Unfortunately the S65 was rather quiet. We did however find a nice male steenbok.

At Nwaswitshaka the kids spotted some squirrels performing some kind of dance routine. One then ran over to beg for a tip :X:

On our way back to the hyena den this tall chap caught our attention

The hyena was still at the den looking rather tired

Perhaps the tiredness was due to the little one she had. We didn’t get to see it properly as it was hidden by the drainage ditch, but there was a tell-tale black baby paw sticking out whilst it was suckling. [Luv]

Back at camp we enjoyed a braai and the calls of hyena around the camp whilst plotting routes for the next morning…

Last edited by PJL on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

You couldn't have chosen a more apt title, it seems lol

And the UK should be on every country's red list, not the other way around. Really don't think you wanna go there at the moment...

Anyhoo... Superb pix all around! But - and I know Lis will agree with me here - the squirrel is the most adorable of them all.
I would happily adopt it and care for it. Such a cutie. [InLuv]

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

^Q^ Just catching up .Lovely pics for the start of the trip.
Interesting about the Warthogs -we did not see that many on our last trip and commented on it . Must have been in their burrows ..0..
Glad you could arrange the trip with all the changes thrown at you last minute . Very good title on all accounts lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

As Mel said, the squirrel is by far my favourite [InLuv] lol

Nice set-up! You never used to camp, did you? :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:03 am You couldn't have chosen a more apt title, it seems lol

And the UK should be on every country's red list, not the other way around. Really don't think you wanna go there at the moment...

Anyhoo... Superb pix all around! But - and I know Lis will agree with me here - the squirrel is the most adorable of them all.
I would happily adopt it and care for it. Such a cutie. [InLuv]
Thanks Mel! I think that squirrel would be more of a handful than it looks --00--
RogerFraser wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:48 am ^Q^ Just catching up .Lovely pics for the start of the trip.
Interesting about the Warthogs -we did not see that many on our last trip and commented on it . Must have been in their burrows ..0..
Glad you could arrange the trip with all the changes thrown at you last minute . Very good title on all accounts lol
0/* Roger!
The warthogs were remarkable... we saw them literally all over the park. Previous trips have generally had one or two sightings... this time every day at least :shock:
Lisbeth wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:20 am As Mel said, the squirrel is by far my favourite [InLuv] lol

Nice set-up! You never used to camp, did you? :-?
We have camped before, but last time we stayed in Marloth Park as my parents were with us. The camping was good... but a bit cold at night <brr>

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”