Theft in KNP

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Re: Theft in KNP

Post by RogerFraser »

This is not the first one I have seen other posts .I think the issue is the new restaurant and train hotel are the other side of the camping so there is now a constant flow of vehicles and foot traffic moving right through the camp sites which in SA almost guarantees there will be issues . @#$

PJL

Post by PJL »

I think you have a very good point there Roger... much more non-camper traffic going through the camp area now.
Never thought about the risk before but I guess next time we'll have to take a padlock for the fridge 0:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Or a big roll of barbed wire O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

harrys wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:45 am Trudie Kruger
about an hour ago
Morning

I would like to warn visitors at Lower Sabie KNP to be carefull. Yesterday my Ice Maker has been stolen from my camp site. Also on Friday another camper's whole fridge with all his meat was stolen. Also on Friday a gasbottle was stolen. Be carefull and lock your valuables up. These incidents were reported to the duty manager at Lower Sabie and SAPS. I really hope Sanparks will do something about improving security at the rest camps as this spoiled our whole 14 day holiday and you are to scared to go out on game drives as you worry the whole time about you property.
I hope this will help other visitors not to become victim of theft. Thanks.
Lower Sabie Living up to its reputation as the WORST camping Camp site in any National Park in the country. We are lucky as our Freezer slides back into the trailer and locked away. Gas Bottles are Locked in their holders onto the trailer.

Tsendze we used to love being allowed to go through Rogers garden to the Thatch lookout at adjacent Mooiplaas Picnic Spot for a Sundowner. Just Jane and I and when it got too dark we would go back into Tsendze for Supper at our campsite. This was stopped after Mooiplaas Braaiers often walked into Tsendze through this Gate mid morning when the camp was empty of residents all out on Game Drives 'to see how campers live' and later 'What have they got' >> Often leaving with items NOT theirs. Recently we were camped at QUIET site 14 off the beatebn thoroughfare in camp and our friends were camped at 15 next door. He wanted to go to the loo and left his Expensive Binos hanging over his chair in his Safe and remote in camp campsite >> no passing cars etc >> came back 5 mins later >> Binos GONE .. Must have been a low life fellow camper
Last edited by Peter Betts on Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

harrys wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:04 am
Richprins wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:48 am I think it is campers stealing from each other! --00--
You are playing on Avbob's stoep :X: :-)
See my remark about 'Safe' camp Tsendze above this Post >> Campers Steal from other campers these days >> There is a Different and Lousy NEW Segment of Humanity that have now discovered that Kruger is a Lekker Oord and you have better solar Panels than mine so I will unplug and take it for myself >> It is not the Taxis and Staff >> here sadly it's Our People. Lots of new entrants to Camping are finding out that its EXPENSIVE to set up >> National Luna 90 Ltre Freezer = R 14 000 , Flexopower 240 W Mojave Solar Panels = another R 14 000 Just unplugs, Cadac 2 Plate Gas Cooker = R3500, Gas Cylynders R 500-R600 etc etc etc >> We cant afford that so steal from others is the way to go !!
Last edited by Peter Betts on Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

PJL wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:03 pm I think you have a very good point there Roger... much more non-camper traffic going through the camp area now.
Never thought about the risk before but I guess next time we'll have to take a padlock for the fridge 0:
Sadly Pete its in reality the Campers themselves with Looong fingers and Zero morality A sad new group have discovered camping and Kruger. A Padlock wont stop the Low Lifes loading your Fridge into their Bakkie as you are on drive and they are packing up to leave for home near your site

PJL

Post by PJL »

Peter Betts wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:31 am
PJL wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:03 pm I think you have a very good point there Roger... much more non-camper traffic going through the camp area now.
Sadly Pete its in reality the Campers themselves with Looong fingers and Zero morality A sad new group have discovered camping and Kruger. A Padlock wont stop the Low Lifes loading your Fridge into their Bakkie as you are on drive and they are packing up to leave for home near your site
Kind of thinking more along the lines of a bike padlock... chain it to the trailer ;-)

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

PJL wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:09 am
Peter Betts wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:31 am
Kind of thinking more along the lines of a bike padlock... chain it to the trailer ;-)
Yes its coming to also locking trailer to the Baobab too :-0 lol

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9982471 ... 543602412/

[
Was just extending our Kruger stay again 🙂 ….and the person next to me at the counter was reporting that her chalet / rondavel door had been ‘kicked in’ and most her belongings had been stolen.
So just a reminder to not leave anything of great value / importance back at camp. You never know when things take a turn for the worst.
South African National Parks
Admin
Dear Rory Ouwerkerk,
Thank you for the feedback. We are aware of the incident and it is being dealt with on the ground. A police case has been opened with the Skukuza SAPS and an investigation is underway. We are going to close comments on this until further details are brought to light.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Rather that than hi-jacked O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”