Imfolozi Browns March 2023

Bushcraft

Re: Imfolozi Browns March 2023

Post by Bushcraft »

Next up was a crash of rhinos next to the road, another 1st for Sasquatch. The massive decline in rhino sightings in Kruger over the last 10 years is very noticeable, but we have also noticed a decline in sightings at Imfolozi, however there are still many more rhino sightings than in Kruger.

34.jpg
34.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 296 times

On the short trip back to camp our wish for a bull elephant came true and this guy, like many Imfolozi ellies, really didn’t want us around. He stopped feeding and headed straight for us, so I got ahead of him as I didn’t want to get chased in reverse, then I slowed and chirped.

“Let’s give Sasquatch a close-up view!”

The Cow isn’t a fan of stroppy ellies, so she started giving me the panicked hairy eye ball. The bull seemed to mellow out once on the road, however he continued towards us and I just kept on moving ahead of him, which gave Hawkeyes and Sasquatch a good view from the back of my bakkie.

The Cow had turned in her seat and was snapping pics out the passenger window, but got the back of the bakkie in all the pics.

35.jpg
35.jpg (131.98 KiB) Viewed 296 times

When we arrived back at Gqoyeni someone had already started the braai and pit fires which initially gave me a mild pelican because building and starting a fire in the bush is part of my entertainment ritual, but we then met the culprit, it was the kitchen assistant that the manager/guide had told us about and it seems that it’s part of his service/job description. He’s on duty to cook/braai for you until 7pm, but you have to tell him what you want, when you want it and supply the food. I will just call him “N”, which is the first letter of his name and he’s super cool. He certainly has excellent cooking skills and I have since found out that he makes a mean potjie also. We aren’t used to this type of thing, so I told him that he could have the evening off, but he then offered to at least make a salad so we agreed. I can confirm that his salad is excellent and even now at home when Hawkeyes or the Cow make a salad they ask “a “N” salad or normal salad”.

“N” then asked what groceries we had brought with for breakfast and what time we wanted it served. This again made us a little uncomfortable, but after a negotiation agreed on 9:30am and the Cow showed “N” our full English breakfast stock.

We went to all park off around the fire pit, which I assume was a little strange for some since there’s no fences and as this was Sasquatch’s first time in a game reserve, I had to throw in some “predator coming through camp war stories” to set the vibe, but it didn’t seem to rattle him.

A few minutes later the manager/guide came to check on us around the fire pit to see if we wanted to do a morning bush walk, but we wanted to do a morning drive instead and would look at doing a walk later in the day. I then asked him about predator encounters in camp and some of his stories caused a few big eyes and they were way better than my war stories.

Just before we threw the meat on the braai, the manager and “N” ducked back to their units and we relaxed on the veranda after chow for about an hour, but there was very little night time action except for the odd hyena calling.

36.jpg
36.jpg (65.19 KiB) Viewed 296 times

The manager was going to kill the generator at 9:30pm, so at around 9pm we all ducked to our respective units to shower before the power went out.

The units are “open” between the edge of the thatch and the walls with chicken mesh between, so similar to the units at Balule in Kruger, but more fancy with an attached bathroom, however due to this chicken mesh, insects, moths, geckos, etc pull in bigtime and the Cow and I had some size invaders, so we had a good laugh about what must be happening in the other units, especially Albert’s as she has a major dislike for geckos.

To be continued

nan

Post by nan »

:ty: a new TT... and from a place that I don't know O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

0/* 0/* Nan

Thanks for checking this TT out \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Saturday 25th March

The manager restarted the generator just after 5am as per our prearrangement and we all linked up for coffee in the communal lounge area.

Hawkeyes was flustered about the fact that there’s a large glass window in each shower area that gives one the feeling of showering in the bush, but no privacy, so I passed a comment about giving the animals a show which didn’t go down well and Albert’s hair was standing on end after her night of gecko invaders which the Cow and I had guessed would happen, but nothing bothered Bushpig which is also the norm as she can sleep anywhere and through anything.

The weather was still suspect, but at least it wasn’t raining, so we hit the road just after 6am and what’s super cool about the location of Gqoyeni is that the Mpila camp traffic takes at least half an hour to get to your location, so you are generally alone on the roads for the 1st part of the morning, especially if you head towards the west.

1st up for the morning were 2 young bulls practising for the real deal, so we kept our distance until they moved off, a Brown Snake Eagle, and then a buffalo trying to relax in the mud pool while getting harassed by a pecker.

38.jpg
38.jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 277 times
39.jpg
39.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 277 times
40.jpg
40.jpg (161.61 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Our plan was to take a time out at Bhejane hide before the Mpila camp crowd arrived, but we were disappointed on our arrival because the waterhole in front of the hide was dry as the pump had broken many months prior and it still hadn’t been repaired, bats had moved into the hide so the benches were full of droppings, the thatch was collapsing in numerous places and the toilets weren’t in the best condition, however we still cleared a spot to park off as there was nobody else around so it was still peaceful.

My impatience kicked in after around half an hour of waiting in the hide and walking around the car park, so we decided to take a slow drive back towards Gqoyeni which produced more of the usual crowd which we didn’t take pics of, but as we got close to one impala I chirped.

“Check the body language, there’s a predator around here!”

40A.jpg
40A.jpg (200.15 KiB) Viewed 277 times

We tried to follow the impala’s gaze, but couldn’t see anything, so after 10 minutes I started to move on, but seconds later there was frantic squawking from Hawkeyes in the bakkie bin.

“STOP, Sasquatch has seen something!”

I then also spotted it

“Cheetah, pass the camera!”

The cheetah was a long way off, so it was an excellent spot from Sasquatch, especially since he had never since one in the “flesh” before, but we were having a mission to focus on it with the camera due to the distance.

41.jpg
41.jpg (162.85 KiB) Viewed 277 times

The cheetah almost instantly lay down in the grass so all we could see was its head, however minutes later some zebra arrived behind the cheetah and some warties started to approach from in front of the cheetah, so I got excited.

“Elvis, the lead wartie, is going to chase the cheetah, be ready for it!”

The entire wartie family cruised past the cheetah and nothing happened, even though they both checked each other out.

42.jpg
42.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 277 times

The zebra and warties moved off and the cheetah lay flat and went to sleep, so we continued back towards camp as it was just before 9am and we didn’t want to be late for the English breakfast that “N” was cooking up, however we stopped for 1 last pic of a giraffe next to the road.

43.jpg
43.jpg (118.85 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

“N” was ready for us on arrival, he had set the dining table and the last item, the eggs, were on the go.

After breakfast the weather improved slightly so we were cruising up and down between the hide and the communal veranda, exploring around camp, etc, and when some trumpeter hornbills started calling the Cow and I went on a mission to find them and they were in the trees next to Albert’s unit.

44.jpg
44.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 277 times
45.jpg
45.jpg (172.92 KiB) Viewed 277 times

The manager then arrived to check on whether we wanted to do a bush walk and also suggested that he was prepared to take us on a night time scorpion stroll as an option. We were all feeling rather lazy after the large breakfast and the night-time scorpion walk was something new, so after a negotiation we took him up on the offer.

The manager and I then had a long conversion about leopards in Imfolozi as evidence of their presence and spoor is often seen, but they are very rarely spotted unfortunately and when spotted they bolt off almost immediately. He informed me that he had been working in the reserve for 15 years and had only seen leopard on 13 occasions. His take on it was that due to the traditions/culture of the area that leopard have been poached for their skins for many, many years, so they have evolved and developed an instinctive fear of man and vehicles.

After my depressing conversion with the manager the Cow and I decided to do a video “walkthrough” of the camp, but halfway through the amateur video attempt Hawkeyes came charging into frame shouting about a sighting in front of the communal veranda, so the video will require some major editing before it can be posted.

We relaxed for the rest of the afternoon as some general game, like nyala, warties, buffalo, hornbills, vultures, etc, appeared around camp.

48.jpg
48.jpg (200 KiB) Viewed 277 times

49.jpg
49.jpg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Later that afternoon the weather turned suspect again and it looked as if it may rain, but we decided to do a brief drive at around 3pm anyway.

I won’t mention where we went due to the rhino story, but it wasn’t a particularly successful drive predator wise which is often the case at Imfolozi and more so over the last few years, however the normal locals were around including some waterbuck close to camp, a martial which ended up getting bomb dived by what we think is a Drongo, an impala junior suckling in the road, a GHB in a tree and numerous rhinos. During the course of the day we also spotted a black rhino which was an awesome luck as we haven’t seen 1 at Imfolozi for a few years.

50.jpg
50.jpg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 277 times
51.jpg
51.jpg (60.33 KiB) Viewed 277 times
52.jpg
52.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 277 times
54.jpg
54.jpg (153.93 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

55.jpg
55.jpg (194.03 KiB) Viewed 277 times

56.jpg
56.jpg (149.56 KiB) Viewed 277 times

56A.jpg
56A.jpg (211.25 KiB) Viewed 277 times
56B.jpg
56B.jpg (207.57 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

We arrived back at Gqoyeni to find the braai and “pit fire” going again, “N” was busy in the kitchen making another one of his famous salads and he even set the dining room table. The Cow hit it off with him bigtime and they shared the odd laugh together.

57.jpg
57.jpg (74.15 KiB) Viewed 277 times
58.jpg
58.jpg (115.46 KiB) Viewed 277 times
58A.jpg
58A.jpg (135.7 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

The manager/guide arrived for our scorpion walk and explained that we were going to cruise down the road from the camp and then turn into the natural bush/forest behind the staff quarters which then leads back to camp.

The novelty of walking in the bush at night was special, however if we ever get the chance to visit again, we will do a day walk instead as you can see so much more. We did see plenty scorpions though.

59.jpg
59.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 277 times
60.jpg
60.jpg (109.27 KiB) Viewed 277 times
61.jpg
61.jpg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Return to “Travel Tales of Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”