Imfolozi Browns March 2023

Bushcraft

Imfolozi Browns March 2023

Post by Bushcraft »

Hey Guys

This is just a quickie TT from a weekend trip up to Imfolozi in March this year.

I hit the big 50 this year and the Cow was hassling me about what I wanted and I said “A weekend in the bush for everybody”, but never expected it.

On my birthday I received an envelope from the Cow and got a major shock when opening it because it was a 2 night stay at Gqoyeni, which is a private unfenced bush camp in Imfolozi game reserve. Within minutes the surprise turned into concern.

“How did you pay for this!”

Gqoyeni has been on my wish list for many years, but it’s pricey, so I parked it for “when we hit the lotto” and actually never thought that we would ever go. My brother in-law had flown over from Australia in December to spend 2 weeks with us and he had left the Cow with money for this trip which I wasn’t aware of. Our failing rand is a bonus for those with other currencies at 1 Australian dollar to more than R12, so that took some of the initial stress away.

Gqoyeni bush camp is next to the Black Imfolozi river just before the turnoff to Sontuli loop and has 4 x 2 sleeper chalets interconnected via a walkway to a communal lounge/kitchen area, all unfenced. 2 units face the small Gqoyeni river, which is mostly dry in the winter months, and 2 units face the Black Imfolozi river. There is a live-in manager/guide on site who can take you on bush walks by arrangement if you want, a kitchen assistant that can help with self-catering meals if you provide the food and another assistant to clean the chalets.

Electricity is provided via a generator that one can normally switch on and off via a control panel in each unit, but that was faulty on this trip, so electricity was provided at certain times in the morning and evening as agreed with the manager on site, because he had to manually start/stop the generator.

0.jpg
0.jpg (355.19 KiB) Viewed 315 times
0A.jpg
0A.jpg (260.93 KiB) Viewed 315 times

Bushcraft

Re: Imfolozi Browns March 2023

Post by Bushcraft »

I don’t hassle as much about planning or sightings when visiting Imfolozi, because it’s not Kruger, which is in a different league in my opinion, and I knew the weather was going to be kak and the bush would be thick as it was the end of summer in KZN. Also, Ezemvelo aren’t doing a particularly good job at managing the reserve either and seem to have very little interest in my opinion, so the fences are continually cut, lions that escaped due to this have been shot, poaching has escalated massively, certain accommodation options are falling apart, etc, therefore when visiting we modify our expectations accordingly.

This was the 1st time since 2019 that all of us could attend a game reserve trip together, but Sasquatch, Hawkeye’s boyfriend who had never been to a game reserve, was also coming along. Bushpig’s boyfriend had to work and Albert’s boyfriend was overseas, so it ended up only 6 of us going.

I have had some hectic deadlines at work, so told the boss I was taking Friday and Saturday off which caused a stir and some pelicans at work, but my cylinder head would have popped without the “time out”. We also pulled Albert out of school for the Friday and Bushpig, Hawkeyes & Sasquatch ducked Varsity for the day.

I normally wouldn’t post rhino sightings, but it’s almost impossible to do to an Imfolozi travel tale without the odd rhino pic post because one spots more rhino there than anywhere else and this trip was nearly 5 months ago, so I doubt a picture will have any impact. (I will keep locations vague just in case).

This was also a relaxed trip, so this TT will contain numerous cell phone pics as we got lazy with the cameras at certain times.

We only woke at around 6am on the Friday morning of the 24th of March and as guessed, the weather was faulty with intermittent rain therefore we didn’t rush and arrived at Nyalazi gate just before 10am. (I also drove slower because Sasquatch and Hawkeyes were following us in his little Suzuki Swift).

We could only book in for Gqoyeni at 2pm at the main Mpila camp so the plan was to cruise slowly towards Mpila camp, stop and show Sasquatch the scene at the main camp and then continue on towards Sontuli picnic site for a lunchtime boerewors roll braai and then to return to Mpila camp to book in before heading to Gqoyeni.

Our first stop for pics was at Umbondwe picnic site, 12km down from Nyalazi gate, as it has a fairly decent view.

Albert on the table with the trendy socks and Bushpig holding the camera checking the view out, Hawkeyes & Sasquatch hanging their teeth and then the view from on top of the table.

1.jpg
1.jpg (142.04 KiB) Viewed 313 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (145.09 KiB) Viewed 313 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

The short stretch from Umbondwe to Mpila camp produced some zebra, a buffalo in the river and drizzle at the bridge over the black Imfolozi river and some boons cruising around.

4.jpg
4.jpg (109.25 KiB) Viewed 313 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (123.56 KiB) Viewed 313 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (177.51 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

We stopped briefly at Mpila camp, checked out the “sighting board”, which is basically missing the majority of the animal magnets, so it’s a waste and has been for years, but we still for some reason always peer at it.

We then decided to continue on towards Sontuli picnic site for our braai, but stopped just outside camp for some Nyala and a wartie in conversation with a terrapin.

7.jpg
7.jpg (159.65 KiB) Viewed 313 times

8.jpg
8.jpg (165.03 KiB) Viewed 313 times

About 1km into the Sontuli loop we came across a washaway in the dirt road and then to top it off it started to pour with rain again. I plotted the washaway in my bakkie, but realized that Sasquatch and Hawkeyes had no chance of getting through in his little Suzuki Swift, so after a negotiation we decided to do a hundred-point U-turn and head back towards Mpila camp for our braai.

I developed a mild pelican when we arrived back at Mpila camp because a safari tour company had taken over a large portion of the braais in the day visitors area, so we parked and sat watching through the windscreen wipers for a few minutes and then decided to take a chance on one of the rusted faulty braais that wasn’t being used.

After half a box of fire lighters and lots of blowing from Sasquatch and I we were in business and our fire was overtaking the safari company’s braais, so the boerewors was getting flame grilled.

Some Nyala and vervets were cruising around the area and entertaining the safari company’s foreign guests, however 1 guest was around the same age as the girls so he was hanging his teeth our direction which was rather amusing. I suggested that he may be loaded and can purchase a game farm, but it didn’t go down well with my clan.

As the boerewors finished cooking the rain came pouring down again which caused a massive rush from everybody to their cars/safari vehicles. I was barefoot as per normal, so skidded in the mud in the car park and one of my boerewors sections went for a mud bath, but all we could do was laugh and eat in the car.

It was now just after 1pm, so the Cow went to pull off her early book in con at reception and we were soon heading back towards Sontuli loop/Gqoyeni turnoff. I was a little concerned that Sasquatch and Hawkeyes wouldn’t make it in the Swift, but we decided to at least try and make to Gqoyeni and then they would climb in the back of my bakkie for other game viewing drives from camp.

Some of the usual general game appeared on route, but we only stopped for pics of a tortoise and a giraffe.

9.jpg
9.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 313 times

10.jpg
10.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Gqoyeni is down a little private dirt road section of 2.2km and besides 1 dodgy section it was ok for the Swift, so we all made it without drama.
We bailed out the cars and decided to 1st check the place out.

The Cow and Albert on the veranda of the 1 unit and the Cow on the veranda of the unit we took. She got a skrik just before this pic was taken because some warties were parking off in front of our unit and burst out of the grass as she walked onto the veranda.

13.jpg
13.jpg (131.19 KiB) Viewed 313 times

14.jpg
14.jpg (129.72 KiB) Viewed 313 times

The main communal area/kitchen/lounge and the views from the communal veranda.

15.jpg
15.jpg (147.52 KiB) Viewed 313 times
16.jpg
16.jpg (124.13 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

17.jpg
17.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 313 times

18.jpg
18.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 313 times

19.jpg
19.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Attached to the side of the main veranda there was also an elevated walkway to a hide.

20.jpg
20.jpg (157.37 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

21.jpg
21.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

The local manager/guide onsite then came to greet us and to give us a run down on the dangers, mostly the fact that there’s no fence and that elephant like to regularly cruise through the camp, which I actually hoped would happen. He also informed us about the electricity/generator issue and the other staff who can assist with cooking & cleaning. I can’t mention the manager/guides name without permission, but he’s excellent and available for bush walks if you want.

The car park is a long way from the units and they provide trolleys in the car park for one to use to transport luggage, so the ranger started to call staff to assist. This is a larny spot for us and I think the manager is used to a few larny guests due to the price, but we aren’t used to this type of thing, so told him not to stress about anything and that we would sort ourselves out. I think this became clear as Bushpig jumped into the 1 trolley and took off down the walkway on a ride with the Cow charging behind.

After the move in mission the modelling started with selfies.

Hawkeyes & Sasquatch in the hide and Bushpig & Albert taking “mirror” selfies in the lounge.

22.jpg
22.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 313 times

23.jpg
23.jpg (153.81 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Suddenly the alarm sounded from the hide as a creepy crawly had been spotted with its butterfly kill. There was also a buffalo relaxing in the riverbed in front of the hide.

25.jpg
25.jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 313 times

25A.jpg
25A.jpg (125.62 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

26.jpg
26.jpg (164 KiB) Viewed 313 times

For us this was a prime, peaceful setting so we agreed to not charge around looking for sightings and to rather relax for most of the afternoon in the lounge/dining/kitchen/veranda area before doing a short late afternoon drive. I was also looking forward to using the fire “pit” later that evening.

27.jpg
27.jpg (138.8 KiB) Viewed 313 times

28.jpg
28.jpg (141.03 KiB) Viewed 313 times

29.jpg
29.jpg (164.76 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

We left on the short afternoon drive after 4pm and Hawkeyes & Sasquatch jumped in the back of my bakkie. Fortunately, I had planned for this just in case, so had packed 2 camping mattresses which made it a little more comfortable.

Our 1st stop for pics was for a lone wildebeest and some terrapin that seemed to be trying to figure out the “birds & the bees”.

30.jpg
30.jpg (135.08 KiB) Viewed 313 times

31.jpg
31.jpg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 313 times

A few km later the 1st herd of ellies appeared next to the road and there were a few juniors in the mix. Sasquatch had never seen an elephant before so this sighting was cool for him. The mother ellie kept sniffing the air and checking us out and then got a little irritated with our presence so we moved on.

We joked in the front of the car that we needed to find a bull elephant for Sasquatch to get the real experience.

32.jpg
32.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 313 times

33.jpg
33.jpg (156.54 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Return to “Travel Tales of Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”