Macro Photography

Discuss the technical side of photography
BluTuna

Macro Photography

Post by BluTuna »

Having read Flutterby's excellent postings on basic photography I thought I'd chip in with something that I've been playing with for the past couple of weeks, Macro Photography.

There are several ways of doing macro photography but I will be dealing with the use of extension tubes.

These are light-tight tubes without any optical elements (they're just tubes) which fit between the camera body and the lens and allow the lens to focus more closely and increase the magnification as you are projecting a smaller area of the image onto the camera's sensor.

The tubes I have came in a set of three and have the electrical contacts that allow the autofocus and metering to work. They can be used individually or together in any combination. The bigger the distance between the lens and the camera, the higher the magnification.

The first problem I encountered was that I got in my own light, the lens is so close to the subject that I had to take the pictures with the sun at 90 degrees. Using more tubes brings the subject closer to the lens - about 2cm if all three are used - which makes this even more difficult.

The next thing was focusing which is extremely critical, I was using my standard 18-55mm lens and zooming didn't seem to have any effect except to make things more or less fuzzy. I ended up setting the lens on 55mm and moving back and forth until the camera focussed. This gets even more difficult when using more tubes and I found myself swaying gently back and forth with my finger firmly pressed on the shutter release until the camera decided to take the shot.

Depth of field is also affected by the tubes, if the lens is wide open anything that's not in the plain of focus is out of focus so I had to close down to F20 or smaller to give a few millimetres of depth to the shots. This means that I have to use a slow shutter speed but luckily with a DSLR, I can up the ISO to help with that. All of the following pictures were taken at ISO 400 using my Nikon D5100 and an 18-55mm Nikkor lens.

The following pictures where shot in my garden and illustrate the use of single and combinations of extension tubes. These are all full frame images with no cropping.

@18mm, no extension tubes - minimum focus - with ruler for scale.

@55mm, no extension tubes - minimum focus

@55mm, 12mm extension tube

@55mm, 20mm extension tube

@55mm, 36mm extension tube

@55mm, 12mm extension tube + 20mm extension tube
No example as this is almost the same as using the 36mm tube alone.

@55mm, 12mm extension tube + 36mm extension tube

@55mm, 20mm extension tube + 36mm extension tube

@55mm, 12mm extension tube + 20mm extension tube + 36mm extension tube

Finally, a 1:1 crop of the last image to show how close in you can get.

Pros and cons of extension tubes.

Pros :-
Relatively inexpensive compared to macro lenses.
Can be used on any lens.
No extra optics to degrade image quality.

Cons :-
Cheaper products may be poor quality and may not work with your camera's metering and autofocus - read the reviews before buying, some of them are horror stories!
Little or no depth of field which leads to use of small apertures and low shutter speeds.
Easy to get in your own light.
Difficult to focus.
Have to remove the lens to change tubes which increases the chance of dust on the sensor.

There are other ways of getting close-ups, these are the usual ones :-

1. Macro lens. A lens which has been designed to focus more closely than the typical lenses supplied with a camera.

2. Close-up lenses. These are lenses that screw on to the end of your lens like a filter and allow closer focusing.

3. Other methods. There are adapters which allow lenses to be mounted backwards onto the camera and others which allow a second lens to be screwed onto the filter screw on the end of your lens.

Has anyone had any experience with these other methods?
Last edited by BluTuna on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Penga Ndlovu

Re: Macro Photography

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

Great stuff BT. \O \O

I love the pics.

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Very informative and interesting article Blue Tuna.

I have not ventured into this field, but will definetly investigate. Thanks. \O

ps. Amazing how you can get 'into' your object... wow. Nice pics.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Thx for sharing BluTuna..a lot of effort went into your posting. I also started off using extensions which my hubby had picked up somewhere second hand. I thought them to be quite acceptable but they did not work on the 18-55mm kit lens but they did work together with a lens that belonged to a SLR . In the meantime that lens shattered when my tripod crashed banged at Butterfly World. Eventually though I progressed to a Macro 60mm 2.8 lens...and I love it. I can "grab" a shot qite successfully ..like bees buzzing around but if I set myself up properly with tripod etc I can get some amazing shots.
BTW...I do find that using full manual mode, manual focus and spot metering give me the best results.
Little or no depth of field which leads to use of small appertures and low shutter speeds.
I think this is a "con" of macro photography in general...not just when you use extension tubes.... :-)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great post BT...really interesting!! \O

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

After a little experimentation, I've discovered why I had to set my 18-55mm lens to 55mm - any less zoom and you have to get even closer to the subject - and as I was already just a couple of cm from the subject, I couldn't get much closer.

I'm now using my 55-200mm lens and the distance to the subject has increased dramatically. At 55mm I'm still the same distance as I was with my 18-55mm (obviously), but at 200mm the subject is closer to 0.5 metres away.

Here are a couple of examples that I took this morning.

Last edited by BluTuna on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Beautiful.... ^Q^ ^Q^

I must admit I have come to the conclusion that my 18-55 is faulty - as I also had difficulties coming up close.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great pics BT!!! \O \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Wow BT ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Some brilliant pics O\/ O\/

I'm still out of my depth in this area 0*\ (and many others =O: =O: )

Katja

Post by Katja »

Okay, here is my contribution to Macro Photography. It is so much fun to look for those creepy crawlies and once you go for a walk with the intention to find them, you suddenly see lots of little things.

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”