Pilanesberg - Pilanesberg Newspaper

Information & Discussions on Planesberg
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Pilanesberg - Pilanesberg Newspaper

Post by Mel »

Eland wrote:
Sprocky wrote:Not sure STF. :oops:

Does anyone have any idea who we can contact? I am sure that Pilanesberg management would love to see what is being said about their park on this forum.
You can contact Andrew Jackson, Pilanesberg Trust CEO. I usually send my inputs to him to get it posted on their web.

Andrew Jacckson (Pilanesberg)
E-mail Address(es): andrew@pwt.org.za

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Thanks Eland!!

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

We saw these two near Fish Eagle Picnic spot in July 2010 (please excuse the quality but the pic is heavily cropped).....are they the same?

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

steamtrainfan wrote:
joekin wrote:Saw them in April.

They had brought down a wildebeest at the T to fish eagle, we found them the next day still at fish eagle and followed them guessing where they'd come out and then, and then followed them again to Pilanesberg centre.
Hi joekin. Where they both ok? In 2009 and 2010 when we saw them the one looked as if he had a broken jaw. I have a photo somewhere which clearly shows his bottom jaw hanging loose. I was so hoping to see them this year but it was not to be. If any other mite can give me feedback on their wellbeing I shall appreciate it.
STF the both seemed fine, i have pics on facebook on my cousins profile but we have just been blocked at work. will try make a plan though.

Or are you on FB?? is so PM me and i'll add you

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:We saw these two near Fish Eagle Picnic spot in July 2010 (please excuse the quality but the pic is heavily cropped).....are they the same?

Flutterby - these are Leru and Fisa. You saw them at Fish Eagle in July 2010 and we saw them on Tshepe Drive just near Execution Hill in October 2010. Looking at the map this looks about 5kms from where you saw them.

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

STF where do these males roam??

In 2008 we saw two adolecent males that could by now also have their manes.

The two " young ones" at that stage were between pilanesberg centre and bakgatla(although there is a new resident male in the bakgatla area now).

The Ones we saw this year seem to chill between fish eagle and pilanesberg centre.(we also saw them on another WB kill in 2010 next to the road about 200m from the fish eagle entrance.

Would like to get animal figures though.

on wikipedia
As of December 2006 the total count of animals was approximately 6,000 including:
35 Lions
12 Cheetahs
167 Elephants
90 Black Rhinoceros
300 White Rhinoceros
8 Sable Antelopes
150 African buffaloes

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

steamtrainfan wrote:
Flutterby wrote:We saw these two near Fish Eagle Picnic spot in July 2010 (please excuse the quality but the pic is heavily cropped).....are they the same?

Flutterby - these are Leru and Fisa. You saw them at Fish Eagle in July 2010 and we saw them on Tshepe Drive just near Execution Hill in October 2010. Looking at the map this looks about 5kms from where you saw them.
same two, and looking at http://www.pilanesbergwildlifetrust.co. ... tion=&id=& they still in the same territory

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hi joekin. If you buy the latest ( not sure what date it was printed) map and guidebook you will see the animal numbers listed in there.

Elephant 210
Lion 50
Leopard 30
Cheetah - not given ( I have heard that there is only one but cannot confirm this. We have seen it once but I cannot remember which year.)
White Rhino - No number given
Black Rhino - No number given
Sable 10
Eland 100
Caracal - No number given.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Oh and also Wild Dog - The guide states one pack but I have heard that there are now two packs. We saw the one pack back in 2006.

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

steamtrainfan wrote:Oh and also Wild Dog - The guide states one pack but I have heard that there are now two packs. We saw the one pack back in 2006.
i've heard 2 stories, one was that the original pack split, and the other was that half were relocated and replaced to reduce the chances of incest.

Also they reckoned there were about 20 in 2008???

Leopard numbers they estimate 12 residents with a few nomadic.

What i have also heard is that sometimes they cull lions..................

Like one or 2 trophy males.........but thats is all hear say.

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”