No Peripheral Development Zone in Kruger could Cancel Hotel

General Information & Discussion on Hotels in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

No Peripheral Development Zone in Kruger could Cancel Hotel

Post by Richprins »

Richprins wrote:A very interesting development, as confirmed by current the EIA consultants for the Malelane Hotel, is that the new Scoping report relies largely on the merits of the mysterious PDZ strategy for Kruger recently touted by Sanparks. Read here: http://aikona.forumup.com/viewtopic.php ... rum=aikona

It has come to light that this strategy in itself still needs to undergo a PPP (Public consultation and submission to the Department) process!

Should that fail, the Malelane Hotel will face serious problems!

Also, perhaps more importantly in the long-term, a range of potential commercial developments around the borders of Kruger could be stopped.

Will try to get more info.
Richprins wrote:"SANParks will be presenting this zoning to the Minister of Environmental Affairs.

She will need to determine if it can be approved or what Public Participation Process is required. Like I said, we are not in direct contact with SANParks regarding this issue.

So in essence, the DEA want the zoning approved before the environmental decision can be made by them.

For the purposes of our study, we were requested to use the new zoning and the DEA is well aware of this."

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: No Peripheral Development Zone in Kruger could Cancel Ho

Post by Lisbeth »

iNdlovu wrote:Thanks RP.
Guys, it seems as if the minister can make a call as to whether to allow public participation on the periphery re-zoning issue. If Mabunda and his cronies can't re-zone then his chances of slipping the hotels issue through are going to be tougher.
I am now begging on my hands and knees that everyone both here and on Face Book send her an email or a letter or a phone call requesting that she calls for public participation on this critical issue.
Here is her PA's details and email, I couldn't find an email address for her directly
Personal Assistant
Ms Gail Raganya

Mail: Private Bag X313, PRETORIA, 0001
Street: Sedibeng Building, 185 Schoeman Street, PRETORIA
Tel: (012) 336 8733 / (021) 464 1500
Fax: (012) 328 4254/ (021) 465 3362
Cell: 082 893 2547
E-mail: raganyag@dwa.gov.za

We have to move extremely fast on this one, I'll get in touch with Gareth and see what he can do, but we all have to jump to it.
Richprins wrote:There is not such a rush, as the PPP has not been issued.

But \O
iNdlovu wrote:I beg to differ RP, when dealing with Mabunda and his cronies, there's always a rush, remember what creeps out of the woodwork after periods of silence and denials. We need to get in early on this process so the minister is well aware of public sentiment before she even looks at the re-zoning plan.
Penny wrote:Is it possible for a draft to be posted here of what the contents of this e mail should be (i.e. wording) as well as to whom it should be addressed?
iNdlovu wrote:How about something along the lines of this

The Honourable Minister of Water & Environmental Affairs
Ms Edna Molewa

Dear Minister,
It has come to my attention that the current board of South African National Parks will soon be approaching you in order to receive your permission to re-zone areas of Kruger National Park. I am led to believe that this re-zoning will entail a Peripheral Development Zone extending approximately 2 kilometers inside the entire border of the park completely ignoring existing areas of wilderness zones or low-intensity zones.

This therefore is a formal request from a concerned South African citizen, that you call for public participation before making the decision on this critical request from SanParks in their drive for commercialization of our natural heritage.

Yours sincerely
Richprins wrote:
iNdlovu wrote:How about something along the lines of this

The Honorable Minister of Water & Environmental Affairs
Ms B E Molewa

Dear Minister,
It has come to my attention that the current board of South African National Parks will soon be approaching you in order to receive your permission to re-zone areas of Kruger National Park. I am lead to believe that this re-zoning will entail a Peripheral Development Zone extending approximately 2 kilometers inside the entire border of the park completely ignoring existing areas of wilderness zones or low-intensity zones, so as to remove wilderness zoning obstacles when preparing Environmental Impact Reports for further commercial and other developments.

This therefore is a formal request from a concerned South African citizen, that you call for public participation before making the decision on this critical request from SanParks in their drive for commercialization of our natural heritage.
Yours sincerely
Very good, Indy! :shock:
Penny wrote:Excellent and I am getting as much help as I can on sites such as Oscap - far rather see the money used to protect our rhino than build hotels.
Lisbeth wrote:The ministers e-mail is: molewae@dwa.gov.za or (I have Cc'ed this one: inviroadmin@dwa.gov.za)
iNdlovu wrote:
The Honourable Minister of Water & Environmental Affairs
Ms Edna Molewa

Dear Minister,
It has come to my attention that the current board of South African National Parks will soon be approaching you in order to receive your permission to re-zone areas of Kruger National Park. I am led to believe that this re-zoning will entail a Peripheral Development Zone extending approximately 2 kilometers inside the entire border of the park completely ignoring existing areas of wilderness zones or low-intensity zones, so as to remove wilderness zoning obstacles when preparing Environmental Impact Reports for further commercial and other developments.

Yours sincerely

Peter Betts

Re: No Peripheral Development Zone in Kruger could Cancel Ho

Post by Peter Betts »

If they cant build Vegas on the perphary they will do it in the middle...like Tshanga, S36, S90, S56 etc...they dont care

Return to “General Hotel Discussions, KNP”