Pilanesberg - Current Conditions

Information & Discussions on Planesberg
steamtrainfan

Re: Pilanesberg - Current Conditions

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks very much Lisbeth and joekin. We find the ellies in Pilanesberg not very friendly.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

09/10/2011
gijs wrote:was interested in going there but will not go after reading some comments
Will try Kruger then

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Maybe Streamtrainfan will return with good news, gijs.

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

gijs wrote:was interested in going there but will not go after reading some comments
Will try Kruger then
When are/were you planning on going there gijs?

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

11/10/2011
gijs wrote:Not decided yet
sometime in may or june next year
when it is not to hot
seems to be not to busy in kruger then
maybe the south and or middle
for 1-2 weeks

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

12/10/2011
gijs wrote:Not decided yet
sometime in may or june next year
when it is not to hot
seems to be not to busy in kruger then
maybe the south and or middle
for 1-2 weeks
but also try to go outside of school holidays, else it will be packed

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

14/10/2011

Hi all. We have just returned from 1 week at Pilanesberg. Herewith our findings:

Manyane Camp - Hut ( No. 52) was very clean, staff friendly. Had 1 meal at restaurant - BRILLIANT.

Roads - A lot of the roads have been graded and smoothed out. Only found Sefara, Dithabeng and Potokwane a bit rough. Nkakane Link over the hill is very nice now. They were busy grading the section of Tlou Drive between Nare Link and Ruighoek Dam. The tar roads are a bit rough in places but if you drive carefully you should not have a problem. They have started putting concrete linings next to the tar edges from Bakubung Gate which should now prevent the tar from breaking away. The drive up to Lenong from Sefara to the split at the top has now been paved and is an absolute pleasure to negotiate HOWEVER the road from the split to the left to the viewpoint is very very bad.

Pilanesberg Centre - Now closed. Only toilets available but these were not very clean on the one occasion we were there. We were advised that new management will be opening the centre next month.

Hides - All hides in very good condition. All toilets at hides have now got tile flooring which makes for much better toilets.

Game - Plenty of game to be seen although the cats were scarce. Only saw 1 lioness and 1 leopard. Trip report to follow.

October is a good time to go as the burning is complete and one can see far into the veld in these areas with nice green shoots everywhere. We had 7 lovely days.

Any other questions please ask.

serval

Post by serval »

07/11/2011

I have won a work incentive "group" trip to "Sin City" this coming weekend , it includes a game drive which I assume will be on an OSV in Pilanesberg and not in a S/City "virtual zoo" ???
I see 2 hours has been allocated for this drive - I hope it is worth it the time , at least it will make the weekend worthwhile .
Being a group event we will be travelling by bus , thus no chance for private escapes to the reserve ...
Can anyone who has recently braved S/City enlighten me as to if there are pleasant walks in the confines of the "city" that I can take in the very early morning in order to preserve my sanity ?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

There are pleasant walks around the Cascades Hotel with waterfalls and rope bridges and the Aviary is near there as well. If you're feeling energetic you can tackle the Royal Staircase (I think that's the name) from the beach area up to The Palace. I think there is a walk above The Valley of the Waves. ;-)

serval

Post by serval »

Thanks V .
Would you know if there is an Imax theatre (where I can see some sensible realistic documentary films) there ?
There is no reference on the S/City website as to the type of films shown .

Edit :

I see IMAX has closed all the theatres in SA ...

Return to “Pilanesberg Game Reserve”