TWO DAYS IN JUNE *

steamtrainfan

TWO DAYS IN JUNE *

Post by steamtrainfan »

Yahooo - Joan has a few days off in June so I quickly booked us two days in safari tent at Manyane on 25 and 26 June 2013. I was so excited at the thought of being able to get into the wild again I forgot to check for school holidays. Slap bank in the middle. Oh well you cannot win them all.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Re: TWO DAYS IN JUNE

Post by steamtrainfan »

We got back from yet another amazing Pilanesberg trip at 14:00 but only a 2 day trip this time.

Just busy sifting through about 400 photos trying to see which ones to upload and which to download into the dustbin.

It was not nearly as busy as we thought it would be. Out of about 10 safari tents only two were occupied - us and another.

Chat to you guys later.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks to all for waiting so patiently.

We arrived at Bukubang gate at 10:30. A slow drive up to Kubu picnic spot for an early lunch.
Two of the birds that welcomed us and waited patiently for us to leave so that they could get stuck into the crumbs.

Not sure what this is but he was very friendly and came up close to us to grab crumbs while we ate.

A grey hornbill - a first for us in Pilanesberg. He watched from a distance.

After lunch we continued up Kubu Drive. Just past the Letsha Link off ramp we came across a troop of baboons on the side of the road. All was peaceful and quiet until one youngster was grabbed by a bigger guy and chased around. The youngster was squealing like a pig and the big guy was barking and growling. It was one major racket. Unfortunately all this was taking place behind some bushes so we only managed to get one pic. Not very clear with the action but we thought that the youngster in the foreground rapt attention to what was going on was worthy of being uploaded.

Moving on we turned onto Hippo Loop and got this overall view of Mankwe Dam.

Things now took a very interesting turn. A few days before leaving home we had seen a documentary on DSTV about giraffe that suck and chew on old bones to get minerals from it. We had never seen this happening before until now.

A sequence of pics showing this happening.

First one giraffe got stuck into an old bone.

Looking at us as if we had interrupted its favourite pastime.

Yum yum - this is delicious.

Then a second giraffe came along and got into the act. These two provided us with some great entertainment.

After about 30 minutes the two suddenly each went their own way so we moved on up to Manyane to check in.

This was to be accommodation for the next two nights. Nice to see that they have replaced the old canvas flaps with a wooden door. We had safari tent number 2 which is right next to the general camping area. We were very surprised to see how empty the caravan park and camping areas were compared to when we come in October. Our happiness soon turned into dismay for as we turned in to park we saw that there were about 4 camping tents very close to us with about 10 youngsters all sitting around with booze piled up on the tables in the centre of the group. On opening the door we saw two nice big beds, a full size fridge/freezer, fan , heater and kettle. Not much else except a small cupboard for groceries and a wooden chest with extra blankets. We had been spoilt by staying in the chalets before but what the heck - it was only for two nights. BUT WHAT NIGHTS THEY WERE GOING TO BE.

Afternoon drive to follow.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Our afternoon drive found us on Tlhware Loop parked near the dam. Suddenly these springbuck coming charging over the hill toward the dam. Joan managed to grab her camera without having time to increase the camera speed and squeeze off a few shots as they pronked past some very bemused zebra and then they were gone. Some photos of the action.

A nice pair of rhino.

A steenbok in nice light.

For once my favourite bird did not fly away when we stopped the car.

Two pics of a kudu in very low light on the way back to camp.

Back at camp we got ready to braai but found that the braai was very dirty and had not been cleaned. Only to remedy this was to build a BIG fire so off to the caravan shop I went and bought a big bag of wood. Looks like I am trying to compete with B.C.

This did the trick and after some vigorous rubbing of the grate I was satisfied that any danger of food poisoning was dead.

After the braai we settled down to retire but our youngsters in the tents near us had other ideas. The talking and laughter got louder and the more they drank the louder they got. Around 23:00 there was one guy left alone and he kept on shouting a very bad swear word as if it was the only word he knew. As two of them passed our tent on the way to the ablutions Joan said to "me" in a very loud voice " I wish these youngsters would now shut up so that we can get some sleep." After that things calmed down and we managed to get some shut eye. However, Joan still did not have a good night as she was recovering from a severe bout of shingles and found it very difficult to get comfortable.

How she managed to sit in the car for the morning and afternoon drives on those bumpy roads I just do not know.

I must mention here that all the sand roads in Pilanesberg are in a shocking condition and some, such as the hill up Nkakane Link, are barely passable in a sedan.

However, this "sleep" was not to last for long but this falls under tomorrow mornings episode.

Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Read your TT with great interest as we haven't been to Pilansberg yet. Love the photos and narration too :-) \O

Lovely pronking springbok \O

Stunning kudu and roller

We saw the same behaviour by giraffes in KTP. I have read about and seen on a David Attenborough Documentary, Giraffe chewing on bones, to get calcium and phosphorous. It is called osteophagia due to deffiency of phosphorous mainly.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Here are the prices at Manyane for Friday and Saturday 20 and 21 September 2013 - during the holidays.

Campsites (non-electrified) Up to 6 people ZAR 104.35 120.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 240.00 for 2 nights

Campsites (electrified) Up to 6 people ZAR 111.30 128.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 256.00 for 2 nights

Safari tent 2 sleeper Only 2 people ZAR 514.78 592.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 1,184.00 for 2 nights

Chalets are only on a Bed and Breakfast basis:

Chalet 2 sleeper ZAR 876.52 1,008.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 2,016.00 for 2 nights

ZAR 946.09 1,088.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 2,176.00 for 2 nights

Chalet 4 sleeper ZAR 1,356.52 1,560.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,120.00 for 2 nights

ZAR 1,426.09 1,640.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,280.00 for 2 nights

Up to 3 ZAR 1,495.65 1,720.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,440.00 for 2 nights

Up to 4 ZAR 1,565.22 1,800.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,600.00

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:
steamtrainfan wrote:
Flutterby wrote:Pilanesberg is not like Kruger
Agreed Flutterby - it is better. :twisted: :twisted:
Do you really think so STF? A lot of people seem to share that view.
Maybe I am biased being so close but I do think so. The staff are a lot friendlier, you only pay once to enter the park no matter how long you stay, R20.00 for pensioners. No daily conservation fee.. We found the ablutions to be clean.
My only hassle is that the sand roads are in a shocking condition, for my Corolla that is. A 4x4 might find it easier.
They have a lot more hides than Kruger.
With Pilanesberg Centre now open again one can get meals once more.

Maybe you need to move these uploads to Meets.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Here are the rates at Bakgatla.

Camp sites (non-electrified) Up to 6 Free ZAR 104.35 120.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 240.00 for 2 nights

Camp sites (electrified) Up to 6 Free ZAR 113.04 130.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 260.00 for 2 nights

Caravan (electrified) Up to 6 Free ZAR 130.43 150.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 300.00 for 2 nights

Bed and Breakfast rates Details

Executive Safari Tent
Only 2 rooms available Free ZAR 1,168.70 1,344.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 2,688.00 for 2 nights

Free ZAR 1,238.26 1,424.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 2,848.00 for 2 nights

Up to 3 Free ZAR 1,307.83 1,504.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,008.00 for 2 nights

Up to 4 Free ZAR 1,377.39 1,584.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,168.00 for 2 nights

Chalet 5 sleeper Free ZAR 1,356.52 1,560.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,120.00 for 2 nights

Free ZAR 1,426.09 1,640.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,280.00 for 2 nights

Up to 3 Free ZAR 1,495.65 1,720.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,440.00 for 2 nights

Up to 4 Free ZAR 1,565.22 1,800.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,600.00 for 2 nights

Up to 5 Free ZAR 1,634.78 1,880.00 Incl. Taxes & Fees ZAR 3,760.00 for 2 nights

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

steamtrainfan wrote:Maybe I am biased being so close but I do think so. The staff are a lot friendlier, you only pay once to enter the park no matter how long you stay, R20.00 for pensioners. No daily conservation fee.. We found the ablutions to be clean.
My only hassle is that the sand roads are in a shocking condition, for my Corolla that is. A 4x4 might find it easier.
They have a lot more hides than Kruger.
With Pilanesberg Centre now open again one can get meals once more.
We've done a couple of one-day trips and always end up comparing it to Kruger....which I know we shouldn't. O** But we always say we would find it difficult to stay for more than 2 days as we would get bored with doing the same roads over and over. We also think it is a bit under-stocked of general game. -O-

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Flutterby wrote:We've done a couple of one-day trips and always end up comparing it to Kruger....which I know we shouldn't. But we always say we would find it difficult to stay for more than 2 days as we would get bored with doing the same roads over and over. We also think it is a bit under-stocked of general game.
Wow Flutterby - how can you get bored riding around in a game reserve. 0-

We do the one side one day and the other side the next. We have also travelled on one road and seen nothing and in the afternoon did the same road again and saw plenty. Luck of the draw I guess.

Maybe if BC can make it and we follow them around we will see lion, leopard and wild dog in a short time. :twisted: :twisted:

On our latest visit Joan and I commented on the number of impala, springbuck, wildebeest etc that there are.

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”