5 COUNTRIES IN 6 WEEKS

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
steamtrainfan

5 COUNTRIES IN 6 WEEKS

Post by steamtrainfan »

In 2005 our son had been in the UK for a few years so Joan and I decided it was time to go and visit. Little did we know at the time what this trip would turn into. We originally planned for a two week visit just to see and be with him for a while. However he was dating an Italian girl at the time and he suggested that as we almost there why not go to her folks who had a farm in the village of Pralormo about an hours drive from Torino for a week. My brother then mentioned to me that I had a long forgotten aunt in Wales so why not pop in there and say hello. On doing preparations for the holiday, this is always the best for me, I discovered that one of the best 10 train journeys in the world went from Tirano to St Moritz. Decision made , we were going to Italy and Switzerland. We also decided that we would visit my aunt in Wales and take in the Lakes District at the same time. This now meant that I would have to go cap in hand to my bank manager and explain to him why I needed to increase my overdraft. Further investigation came up with a trip to Paris on the Eurostar, spend the night there and return. Dates were set 13 July to 25 August 2005. Started booking tickets, making plans and arrangements, begging and pleading for 7 weeks leave, getting Schengen visas and finally getting all the foreign exchange we needed.
So there it was, England, Italy, Switzerland, Wales and France.

This would be Joans first trip overseas and my second but my first to England and Europe so you can just imagine the excitement building up as the time to leave was fast approaching.

I think I will split this TT into a week per episode. I am busy sorting through hundreds of photos and sift them down to only a few per week.

Please forgive me if I put up too many photos but there is just so much we would love to share with you.

Week 1 coming up next.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Jillinflorida

Re: 5 COUNTRIES IN 6 WEEKS

Post by Jillinflorida »

Bring on the photos - I'm sure we'd love to see them. The trains through Europe are great. Glad you were able to get to experience them.

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Souds like an amazing trip. Looking forward to reading about it and seeing the pics.

0()

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hello JIF, Dewi and Lisbeth.

A warm welcome on board and we trust that you will enjoy the journey.

WEEK 1.

13 July 2005.
Fly to London with Virgin Atlantic - no photos.

14 July 2005.

Virgin Atlantic G-VFLY - Dragon Lady at Heathrow.

15 JUly 2005.
Dover and Canterbury.
Joan and I at White Cliffs.

That night Ken took us into London. We were very fortunate to see Tower Bridge drawn up for a passing ship.

16 July 2005.

No photos.

17 July 2005.
While the others loafed around at Kens place I went to a Vintage Buses and bus enthusiast meet at Alton which is also the Watercress Line for old trains. One could buy an all day ticket which would allow you to travel on as many buses and trains as you please.

Some of the buses on display.

Some of the buses took people to the other stations on the route. Here an old bus loads passengers who had just arrived on the old electric unit train at Medstead and Four Marks Station.

18 July 2005.
Joan and I caught the Cornish Riviera Express train from Paddington Station to Penzance. This trip is also listed as one of the top ten train journeys in the world as it travels through some of the most beautiful English countryside as well as along the Dawlish sea wall.

Paddington Station.

A very neat bush arrangement at Penzance Station.

We then went off to find our hire car and off to the B&B - Warwick House Hotel. We then went for an evening walk and bought some fish and chips from this shop for supper.

St Michaels Mount, home of the St Aubyn family and a property of the National Trust, in the late evening.

19 July 2005.
By car from Penzance to Paignton where we stayed at the Harbour Lodge Guest House.

End of week 1.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Beautiful flowers in the last pic! Very nice with the island in the background \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Great stuff STF. \O

Love the Tower Bridge pic. ^Q^

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely STF!! \O I might just have to post our trip to London. -O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Lisbeth wrote:Beautiful flowers in the last pic! Very nice with the island in the background \O
Thanks Lisbeth. The flowers are very beautiful, especially the one in the middle.
Dewi wrote:Great stuff STF.

Love the Tower Bridge pic.
Thank so much Dewi - it is one of my favourite pics.
Flutterby wrote:Lovely STF!! I might just have to post our trip to London.
Thanks Flutterby. Come on, show us your trip to London.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

I am going to make a change to this TT.

I am going to add video as well in places where I feel that it is needed i.e. movement, sound etc etc... that is if I can open it on Windows Live Movie Maker. :O^

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”