Camp Advice for Kruger Park Needed

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Bushcraft

Advice on the North

Post by Bushcraft »

I’m planning a trip to the north in 2013, so any advice would be appreciated.

2 adults and 3 kids in chalets, bungalows, etc and coming up from Satara for 3 days, so which camps Mopani, Shingwedzi Bateleur, Sirheni or Boulders. I don’t want to go as far as Punda for the night as it’s too far to get back south and out the park in the time frame that I have, but would like to make it a day trip from a camp further south.

harrys

Re: Advice on the North

Post by harrys »

Hi BC
We have only camped in Shingwedzi, but it's a beautiful camp and there are many roads to explore and when we where there we had Leopard, Ellies, Lion, Buffs and lots off the other mammals and beautiful bird sightings. The staff was also very friendly and helpful and the shop is stocked well. Hope this will help

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

I would say Mopani. Or even Letaba.

Satara to anything further north is going to be a very long drive.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks Harry and Dzomdo

I was thinking about Shingwedzi as it's only 183km from Satara, so possible, but also like the look of Bateleur as I have never stayed there.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The 50km stretch from Mopane to Shing is an hour or two in the midday sun, so don't worry about that, for example!

I would suggest 3 days Shing, and get up early to go South again.

From Shing you can do Pafuri for a day trip, for example...the kids will go bonkers!

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Dewi wrote:Hi Bushcraft,

Bateleur and Sirheni are both very beautiful camps. Peaceful, with their own unique atmosphere. Not too sure if the kids will enjoy the tranquility, depends on how old they are and if they are into the wildlife in a big way I guess. We had a one year old with us, and she was at the right age to not be too bothered with being in the middle of nowhere.

At Bateleur, you have exclusive access to Rooibosrant Dam. A favourite place of mine. You can sit there the whole day and not see another car. Red Rocks are also close, and Tshanga lookout is one of the places to visit here.

Shingwedzi is much larger, but more for the kids to do there. So I guess it's down to how you know if your children will enjoy the quiet, or will they need to let off steam in the pool at Shing?

I could quite happily visit Kruger and only stay at these three camps.

Sirheni.

Bateleur.

Rooibosrant Dam.

Tshanga.

Red Rocks.

I'm certain you will have a great time whichever one you choose.
Sirheni for the better camp and chalets, Bateleur for Rooibosrant Dam, Tshanga and Red Rocks. I honestly could not choose between these two, but there is more to visit away from the camp at Bateleur and the hide there can be good at night.

There is a resident Leopard at Sirheni which often walks the fence (I have a funny story about that one :oops: ) and we saw Bat Hawk catching Bats at dusk here.

At Bateleur, we saw Sable at the Dam and Caracal as we approached Red Rocks. In fact, we spent a whole day at the Dam and never moved the whole time. Saw 110 different bird, mammal and reptile species that day. :shock: But the following year, we saw very little there due to high water levels, so depends when you visit I guess.

Be a devil and book a few nights at both.
Last edited by Dewi on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Hey Bushy!

For me it has to be either Shingwedzi or Sirheni. Purely because the game viewing is better than Bataleur and Mopani
The best cat road in the North of late has been the tar road between Babalala and Shingwedzi of you go on the BB updates The adjacent road to the West called the S56 Mphongolo loop is a scenic road with lots of wildlife! So those are in the Sirheni area. However, if you stay at Shingwedzi you also have the option of the S50 Kannidood road which is a real favourite!!! Crocs and hippos galore and plenty of animals! A drive down the red rocks to Tsanga and back is a comfortable distance drive from Shing.
So for best routes and game viewing I would always go with Shing

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Bushcraft,

Shingwedzi is a fantastic camp. Don't get me wrong.
Just a long drive down south again.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

BC, we stayed at Shingwedzi in October last year and took a drive up to Pafuri for brunch...we were back at camp by about 3pm. It was fantastic to go right up to the north. After Shing we moved to Olifants which is also a beautiful camp!

pooky

Post by pooky »

HI BC

I agree with Flutterby. Around Shing. is beautiful and the drive up to Pafuri well worth it.
Even around Mopani is also lovely and we saw alot of game there. As one comes south
it is a bit dead.

We are doing Satara to Shingwedzi next month - 178 km - quite a trek but do-able
if one doesn't have too many hold ups!!

The Mphongolo loop is beautiful but the road is narrow and when the grass is
long and one suddenly comes upon a herd of ellies it can get a bit hairy.
Kanniedood road is also great - wonderful for birding in summer.

Enjoy

Return to “Camps of Kruger”