Tell us about your interesting Wildlife Experiences
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Outings around Lausanne, Switzerland

Post by Lisbeth »

Europe's biggest freshwater aquarium opens

in English (but not the same text)

OCT 21, 2017 - 09:00

From Saturday, October 21, people can admire freshwater fish from the Amazon in the new Aquatis aquarium-vivarium in Lausanne. The organisers call it a scientific and sustainable project. But there is also criticism.
With around 10,000 freshwater fish from all over the world — from paddlefish to piranha — as well as reptiles and amphibians, Aquatis will be the largest freshwater aquarium-vivarium in Europe. The 3,500 square-metre facility is expected to attract some 400,000 visitors annually.
But Aquatis has attracted criticism from animal rights groups. At CHF29 ($29.59) per adult and CHF19 per child, the entry fees are also raising hackles. Investors have defended the cost, saying it's justified due to the elaborate staging of the aquariums. The facility also boasts a hotel and parking for 1,200 cars.
(RTS/swissinfo.ch)

phpBB [video]

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

near by me :yes:
don't know what to say :-?
Saterday was 2500 visitors at this place O-/
it seems very interesting.... but captive animals once again -O-
maybe "we" have to learn, and then know, for loving all these animals

All started with a tiny, tiny park, long time ago (more than 60 years). M. Jean Garzoni (a friend of my father) went very often in the desert of North of Africa (Moroco, Tunisia etc...) in search of Snakes and other reptiles. Falls in love with them and come back with one or two of them. He rented a tiny field, along the river (now under the highway) and about 4/5 years ago, the owner (promoteur) cut the rented..... O-/
What the old man can do with about 20/30 animals (the first ones from African and then some Adders and others from Switzerland) :-?
I have asked to my last boss : can you please help M. Garzoni ? He says : yes I can.
In the meanwhile, there was a project for a big aquarium in the north of Lausanne, and my boos who was involved in this poject, asked the comitee to accept the reptiles of M. Garzoni, which was did.

something wrong 0*\ -O-

I'm happy and not happy... a so small park disappears in Lausanne v/s a so big aquarium :shock: O-/
and the poor old man (90 years old) is now very disappointed 0*\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is an aquarium, not a zoo and cold blooded animals are not like mammals \O Often the bigger places are much better than the small ones, because there are more money and the animals have more space.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Looks interesting. \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Aha... about that aquarium. -O-

But totally enchanted with the wonderful bird sightings you had and posted here, nan.
Almost looks as if the summer guests waited for the winter group to arrive and now you got a big party going on at your pond,
at least until the summer guests move on for the time being. ;-)

Lovely sightings! O\/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ag, nana...the animals don't mind...they get free food and drink, medical care and no predators! lol

And for millions of people it is the only chance of ever seeing nature's marvels! \O

Also, zoos and aquariums can inspire kids to become curious and eventually involved...that's what happened to me! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Tales of Wildlife Experiences & Animal Behaviour”