https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: KTP Seasons and Weather

Post by Mel »

Samevloeing at the confluence of the Nossob and the Aoub rivers:

16/03/2013

28/03/2013 - After three days with good spells of rain:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And another one from Samevloeing

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

and even more :shock:

still at the same place, Samevloeing

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Incredible! :shock:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I heard that KTP had a bit of rain by now! \O

nan

Post by nan »

wow it's good, certainly need a lot O/\

Duke

Post by Duke »

:shock: Never saw Samevloeiing with so much water nan

nan

Post by nan »

I had a terrific day to return to TR, from KK via Kij Kij (in my March's TT) O-/

Peter Betts

Re: The Seasons of KTP - When to visit

Post by Peter Betts »

Flutterby wrote:Kgalagadi means "place of thirst", which aptly sums up the Park's arid state, as it is located largely within the southern Kalahari Desert. The terrain consists of red sand dunes, sparse vegetation, occasional trees, and the dry riverbeds of the Nossob and Auob rivers. The rivers are said to flow only about once per century; however, water flows underground, feeding the plant life growing in its riverbeds and the wildlife dwelling within it. The rivers may flow briefly after large thunderstorms, which is a momentous occasion and results in the wildlife flocking to the riverbeds and quenching their thirst. This allows for magnificent game-viewing for visitors to the Park.

The weather in the Kalahari can reach extremes. Daytime temperatures in midsummer (December - February) are often in excess of 40 °C (104 °F), whereas winter nights can be quite cold with temperatures sometimes dropping to below freezing. Extreme temperatures of –11 °C and up to 45 °C have been recorded.

Rainy season: Precipitation is sparse in this desert area (annual rainfall rarely more than 100 mm), but the rains usually fall during dramatic thunderstorms often accompanied by strong winds and dust-storms, which occur during the Summer months (November - April). The first rains transform the red dunes; covering them with fresh yellow flowers.

Dry season: Winter (June to August), is when the air is dry and very clear days can be expected and the temperatures lie around 25 degrees Celsius; however the nights are extremely cold. Winter is also the best time for animal viewing. Because of the drought, the game is forced to come to the waterholes in the riverbeds.

Source: http://www.sunsafaris.com/safari/botswa ... tier-park/
We always used to go in April/May and stay as the only campers for 3 weeks at Nossob...In those days ..1970s and 1980s the Mills family were the only residents and they had been there for years with Hyena research ...According to Gus the best time is mid Feb to first frosts in Mid May when game disperses out of the river valley. June July and Aug too cold and Sept /Oct ...too windy ...So basically we work on April/May KTP and Aug ..Kruger time

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”