OUR OVERSEAS TRIP 2007 ENGLAND CANADA SCOTLAND

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Bushcraft

Re: OUR OVERSEAS TRIP 2007 ENGLAND CANADA SCOTLAND

Post by Bushcraft »

steamtrainfan wrote:We fell in love with those Highland Cows so we bought a fluffy toy that when you squeeze it , it goes "Mooooo" Drives our Jack Russell banannas when we play with it. That sign on the back worked a treat. Not once did we get hooted at or the finger for driving too slowly. In fact folk often asked, especially if we had stopped, if they could be help us.
=O: =O: =O: =O: I agree with the Jack Russell

Fantastic pics again STF ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ I just love waterfalls O/\

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Bushcraft wrote:I agree with the Jack Russell

=O: =O: -O -O =O: =O: \O

We also love waterfalls. That's why we loved Nelspruit (whats its name now???/) :-? :-? so much. Kruger Park, waterfalls, mountain scenery and lovely people.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

THURSDAY 19 JULY Continued.

A smooth trip on the ferry across to Mallaig. From here we moved on toward Fort William. We knew that a steam train, The Jacobite, ran from Fort William to Mallaig and return during the day. We headed straight for Glenfinnan Viaduct hoping to get a pic of the The Jacobite crossing this world famous viaduct.

From Wikipedia: The 21-arch single track viaduct was one of the largest engineering undertakings using concrete without reinforcing when it was built by Sir Robert McAlpine.[1]
Glenfinnan Viaduct forms part of the Mallaig extension of the West Highland Railway which was constructed between 1897 and 1901.
Built entirely of concrete, the viaduct consists of 21 arches, each spanning 15m and has a maximum height of 30m offering spectacular views down Lochaber’s Loch Shiel.
The viaduct was brought to fame by being featured in Harry Potter movies.

We were in time and got this pic which unfortunately does not show the whole viaduct.

Here are two postcard photos that might give a better impression of the viaduct.

At Fort William we took a walk up alongside Neptunes Staircase:
From Wikipedia: Neptune’s Staircase at Banavie, near Fort William just north of Loch Linnhe is kept by British Waterways. It is the longest staircase lock in Britain lifting boats 64 feet (20 m).[1] It consists of eight locks, each 180 feet (55 m) by 40 feet (12 m) and it takes about 90 minutes to pass through the system.[1][2][3]

The current lock gates weigh 22 tons each, and require a team of three lock-keepers (at minimum) to run the staircase. It is usual for them to operate on an 'efficiency basis', that is the keepers try to either fill each cut with boats on the lift or drop, or to allow for passing, i.e. a dropping craft to pass a rising craft on the same fill/empty cycle.

Prior to mechanisation, the locks were operated by capstans, each with four poles, which had to make seven full revolutions to open or close a gate. Each gate leaf had two capstans, one to open it and another to close it. There were 36 capstans on the flight, and 126 revolutions were required for a boat to travel up or down the complete flight. With the advent of hydraulic rams and push-button control, transit times through the flight have been reduced from just over half a day to 90 minutes.[4] The base plinths of the original capstans can still be seen, although the capstans themselves have been removed.

A postcard picture of Neptunes Stairway.

FRIDAY 20 JULY 2007.

Today we chased The Jacobite all the way back to Mallaig. We were going to ride on the train but decided as the scenery was so beautiful that we would rather chase it and try get some nice photos and videos. It was quite a hair raising experience trying to keep up with the train along that narrow windy road to Mallaig.

The railway swing bridge just outside Fort William. It is at the bottom of Neptunes Staircase. The top of the bridge can just be seen in the bottom of the postcard picture above. When a boat travels the locks this bridge swings out to the left. It can also be seen that the road bridge is also a swing bridge.

On reaching Mallaig we did a U-turn and took a smooth and sedate ride back to Fort William. I wanted to chase the train back but Joan put her foot down and was not having any of it.

We moved on to our next overnight B&B at Killin.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Post by nan »

wow WOW O/\ super... the trains and the bridges ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The views on Skye are spectacular indeed! We stopped at Kilt Rock as well.
A must, I guess. ;-) The light at 11pm is absolutely stunning. Beautiful colours. O:V

Never made it to Fort Williams though. Too crowded for my liking. -O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
pooky

Post by pooky »

Just caught up again STF. :-) :-)

Great air show pics ^Q^ ^Q^

The scenery shots are awesome. Love the waterfalls and Kilt rocks, highland cattle
and the steam train pics. Very interesting - thank you for sharing ^Q^ ^Q^ O/\ O/\

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Awesome views ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Fascinating stuff O/\

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

That viaduct and lock are amazing feats of engineering!! :shock: \O \O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

nan wrote:wow WOW O/\ super... the trains and the bridges ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Thanks very much nan. We just love your enthusiasm.

Mel wrote:The views on Skye are spectacular indeed! We stopped at Kilt Rock as well.
A must, I guess. The light at 11pm is absolutely stunning. Beautiful colours.

Never made it to Fort Williams though. Too crowded for my liking.
Hi Mel. We were so sad to leave Skye but unfortunately time waits for no one.

pooky wrote:Just caught up again STF.

Great air show pics

The scenery shots are awesome. Love the waterfalls and Kilt rocks, highland cattle
and the steam train pics. Very interesting - thank you for sharing
Hi pooky and a very warm welcome back. Thanks for your positive comments.

Bushcraft wrote:Awesome views

Fascinating stuff
Thanx stax B.C.
Flutterby wrote:That viaduct and lock are amazing feats of engineering!!
You are so right Flutterby. In those days they built things to last.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

SATURDAY 21 JULY 2007.

Drove to Balloch stopping at Aberfoyle for lunch.

In Abefoyle there was a Owl Farm where we took some pics. Cannot remember the names of the owls.

A beautiful scene on the way to Balloch.

SUNDAY 22 JULY 2007.
Drove to Edinburgh to catch the train back to London.

Ken and Renata picked us up at St Pancras Station in London. While waiting for them we went to find the spot where some scenes from Harry Potter movies were made. Note the luggage trolley half way into the wall. Managed to get this shot between the hordes of teenagers who were posing all over the place for their friends to take their photo at this famous spot.

MONDAY 23 JULY 2007.
Went into London to do some last minute sightseeing but as we had already seen most of it we did not take many photos.
Visited London Tower and did the tour to see the crown jewels and lots of other history.
This final photo of Joan saying farewell to a very good friend - Tower Bridge.

TUESDAY 24 JULY 2007.
Did some last minute shopping.

WEDNESDAY 25 JULY 2007.
Flew back to Johannesburg Virgin Atlantic.

The end to another amazing holiday overseas.

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”