Ireland in a Gypsy Caravan

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Jillinflorida

Re: Ireland in a Gypsy Caravan

Post by Jillinflorida »

This could only happen to you!! Am laughing, but hoping Billy is okay too. 0*\ Wondering why they said not to put Billy back in the paddock???? - Where else were you supposed to put him? Come on woman - don't leave us hanging.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

0() 0() 0()

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Post by nan »

and then ;-)

better meandering through Ireland with a Horse... than a bycicle... like me 0-

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

What an adventure! -O \O

pooky

Post by pooky »

What an adventure indeed ^Q^ ^Q^

What an experience \O \O

Enjoying this TT immensely O/\ O/\

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

It soon became obvious as to why we had been told Billy was not to be put back into the paddock - In his equine mind - he had done his work for the day and had no intention of being harnessed up again. Some gentle persuasion and lots of coaxing he eventually submitted and allowed me to catch him! Our troubles were not over. Today was steep hill day that we had been warned about!
Billy was extremely reluctant to "gee vet" and seemed to be running out of petrol. Running next to him, begging and pleading was useless. The hill was a disaster. Without the speed (I also firmly believe he did not have the correct studs in his shoes" Billy came down on the road. Luckily he was soon back on his feet (under his own steam) without any cuts or grazes. My heart was in my mouth but Billy seemed totally unconcerned about the drama and the only damage was to our pride and nerves. Problem - we were now 'parked" across the road and making a very efficient road block. All too soon a huge traffic jam of about five vehicles had built up behind us!
Once again we had to phone for help. After much discussion and the arrival of the powers that be the caravan was attached to a tow rope and Billy was given a much need helping hand by a plumbing van. It seemed as if that hill went on forever - but like everything in life - the ground soon evened out and we could carry on under "billy steam" once again.
Billy was totally unconcerned about the drama of the day and plodded steadily along whilst his human companions did their best to reduce the tension and concerns.
It was a beautiful day with some stunning scenery and flowers but we were all glad to reach our stop over for the night. Billy was groomed, fed and soon settled into 'relaxed" mode in the green fields.
Time to do some exploring. We had been offered the use of the bicycles to do shopping or exploring. In the barn was a junk yard of old two wheel transporters. I eventually had to settle on a child's bike as all the others were way to big for me.
We set off at a gentle pace - but what people say about riding a bicycle is very true - and we were soon racing along as if we were two year olds.
Down rugged dirt paths,Image through shady lanesImage and finally into the village.

There is a very well known saying - things happen in threes!

pooky

Post by pooky »

Lovely story MD ^Q^ -O

Very pretty countryside \O \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
nan

Post by nan »

oups the road block 0*\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Poor Billy! -O

Sound like a lot of fun!! \O

Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

I wonder if you look back on this 'holiday' and laugh or look back and say OMG. I'm 'afraid' to know what the 3rd thing was!! Well the country side is beautiful & Billy certainly a character.

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”