a Brownie in Kruger... Nevah! *

Heksie

Re: a Brownie in Kruger... Nevah!

Post by Heksie »

Day 7… a day full of laughter and surprises

I wake up this morning and start packing up, the only thing I hear is the roar of the King, and I’m sad leaving the North, we have searched every road we could with the time we had and we found no brownies up here. The only thing that we could do was to hope and pray that they prefer being in the Central area as our home for the next three days would be Maroela camp.
After packing up and getting refreshed I wake Wendy and we had our morning ritual, having a smoke and a MMC listening to the morning calls of the birds and the lion brothers in the riverbed. We had to wait till 6:00 so we went to search for these golden cats which eluded us here. First we got lost and by accident dr4ove a no-entry road, there was no sign to inform us about this, and then when we got to the S50. Phew. First we saw some imps in the riverbed and I drove on as I was sure these bro’s where at the causeway, Wendy stops as she heard some strange noise and I drove on and when I got to the causeway I only saw the imps as well. I stop and take a breather, enjoying the morning air and look at the imps, but after a while I wonder where this Wendy-girl is and instead of making a u-turn at the end of the causeway I reverse… now I look behind me, maybe a bit too far-about 5m-and I feel a bump. Thinking that it is a little rock I put a pedal to the metal and reverse over this rock which ended up being the side of the bridge… WHOOOOOOPS… I’m totally stuck as my right side of my car is in the air and now I definitely have to wait for Wendy. A few minutes pass and then she arrives with mouth agape and eyes as big as saucers. Well, what could one say except that they need help so she gets some in the ghost camp whilst I light another smoke and sip some MMC…
She arrive with 2 guys from the petrol station and they assess my predicament only to say that I need a professional. We get him and return to the crime scene, after a few pull and tugs and R400 later we get back on the road. Here is some pics about my mishap;

Now we are an hour behind schedule and we have to do the Capricorn loop to search for the Kittlittz plover, a lifer and challenge from our dear tannie VVV. This is now one of my favorite roads as it has such diverse animals and birds. We got to see a badger with a ‘pup’ a bit far-ish when we stopped for a MMC refill.

Zebra, willies, wooly-necked storks, fish eagle, some tsessebi with eety beety ones,

And the infamous Kittlittz

Elephants and then another fave bird, the Kori bustard

Wendy stopped and not seeing what she was checking I drove up to her and asked her what is going on, she said there’s a reedbuck, after checking with my binocs I asked her were as I still saw boggeroll. She pointed right in front of me, he was about 10m from me… She had a lekker laugh about this.

We got to the end and had to have a loo-break so we had a quick stop at Mooiplaas. As I left the girls room I overheard the Mooiplaas-attendant/helper/protector say something in a language I didn’t understand at all except one word ‘python’ (Yes I do listen to other people talk around me so beware) And I was like ‘who, what, where and how’ He called us closer and showed us that the python was in the tree holding up the lapa.

He then got a stick and started poking the poor slithering critter to get him to move out of the tree, it took a while but he started moving out of its hiding place…

Then something you don’t see everyday, sorry no pics of it, but the python ‘flew’ out of that tree and then started slithering away from us. Here are a more pics of my best sighting of the day;

Then it was time to move to Satara. There wasn’t really time to stop for any animals as we were very behind schedule and had to get going as there were a lot of people waiting for us at Satara. On our way towards the central city of the Park we did have some nice sightings…

And flappie

We got to the camp about 30 minutes late and the mites where a few drinks friendlier, we immediately ordered ice cold KPA’s and started catching up on the latest bush stories and them laughing about why we were late it was time to take some kiekies;

FLTR: chetaah2111,WendyA,Tedredrum, Heksie,T’s bro

Porridge and SO (Jaxidean)

The bushpirates

It was 15:00 and we had to get a move on towards Maroela as we still had to unpack and pitch up tents. Cheets was to stay with us for 4 nights now to help search for the Brownies as us girls were having no luck with them. We had some crocs and hippsters at Nsemani, a lot of Bateleurs, waterbuck, more ellies

Then something both Wendy and Cheets missed this sighting, there was a JJ parked here and I was a few kilometer behind those two so when I got this sighting the passengers of the JJ got very excited and pointed me towards this brownie.

I didn’t want to correct them so showed them the thumbs up and took a few kiekies. Then I moved on, just at the Tambotie/Maroela turn-off we got a BBJ.

We quickly booked in and got a nice camping spot in the middle of the camp as it was a Saturday, which we didn’t know, and the place was chock and block full. Camp was done in 20 minutes and a fire was lit. We had such a lekker kuier that day with sharing of pics and laughter about our trip mishaps. It was another amazing day in the Park of oom Kruger.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 7… a very busy day

Wendy decided to have a lie in this morning so I set out to search for Brownies with Cheets near Timbavati. It was definitely a busy road and had a lot of grey masses everywhere. But first, here are some pics of our other Kruger friends…

Then we got a lot of buffs and those ellies on the dirt road… what made me very skittish was the fact that Cheets would drive next to them and then switch of the car… I mean, it is a breeding herd. I was so glad that we left unscathed.

Then also a few birdies on our drive. A Levaillent’s cuckoo (lifer)

And a type of Babbler, it seems, any help with the ID would be appreciated.

And another lifer for me, the wattled starling.

Some other beautiful creatures we saw were;

And then a sad sight, this was not due to poaching but this unfortunate white rhino was in a territorial fight with a black rhino and had lost the battle. This is what the ranger at Satara informed us as we found out also the previous day by Sparrow that they drive upon a rhino that have been butchered by poachers near the S100. He said that this sighting would haunt him forever, glad that I didn’t see something like that… Nature kills not for greed or money that is why I didn’t have a problem with this sighting.

On our way back to camp we got ground hornbills and more ellies…

Now, this is a special sighting as I mailed Aat these pics wanting to find out if this is a tusker and he mailed me a while back and said that this is a prospective tusker, named Nsemani as he is seen regularly on the H7.

We got home and I was totally drained, waking up before 4 and then ducking after 21:00 does take its toll, so I went for an afternoon nap and let them have a few sane moments without the heks. Wendy woke me just past 15:00 and said that Cheets was out on a drive again. We packed in a few cold waters and went for an afternoon drive. What was funny was that we didn’t really drive that far this afternoon, but our sighting were amazing none the less.

A lifer for us, the Senegal Lapwing

More Ground hornbills

Elephants

And then something that kept us busy for quite a while was this sighting…

We got home and decided that we are going to do some badger hunting that night, a lot of the campers have left and a few spots where open next to the fence so we made some MMC, took a flashlight and moved our chairs to get a better view of the night visitors. Unfortunately we only had hyena visiting that night…

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hi Heksie, so pleased to have you back.

That babbler is the arrow marked babbler - Yay for the first time I have been able to ID a bird for someone. O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

So many lovely photos of ellies, buffalo, fish eagle with barbell , vultures on a kill, new lifer birds etc etc What an amazing day.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 9... A day full of specials

I woke up this morning and after freshening up saw that Cheetah already disappeared into the Park so Wendy and I made a MMC and chilled in camp, we decided as it is our last day in the Central area, we would try to cover as much ground as possible. We did go everywhere our time would allow us to go, S100 to Nwanetsi and then the S40 to Timbavati and then the S39 back and my last loop, the S106 (Rabelais loop). It was a tiring day with Wendy having to take a few power naps, between our drives and me with another mishap on the H7 sommer early in the morning. Sorry folks but no pics of this one...
The first thing photographed this morning was the sunrise

And then we had a bit of a roadblock, I was sitting waiting for this herd to cross the road, of which they took their time doing this. And trying to get something from my backseat I broke my whole drivers’ seat... I didn’t have any support on the seat and could actually lie back and drive with my feet... We had to drive to the Bobbejaanskrans lookout point so I could try and fix this little mess...

After some bumping and pulling and with a lot of force I got my chair to stay put with the help of a yellow cloth of some kind. We were ready to move on and some sightings we had on the H6 were;
Amur Falcons

Ground Hornbill

Waterbuck

Zebs, warties and buff

Then at Satara we found the famous Scopsies

Then towards the picnic spot we had loads of animals, the S100 always produces, even though it is not cats there are loads of general animals on this road. One of the reasons why November is a MUST to go visit the Park is the baby imps;

At Nwanetsi there were a boiling kettle with our name on it, so we made some MMC and sat in the birdhide for a good half an hour or so to relax and enjoy the view. After Wendy’s powernap we had to take on the road again as a Brownie we had to find... Now driving back other beauties of the Park caught my attention and this is another reason to come and visit in November, the colours of the veld and the decor of the bush are just astounding... I could only ID some flowers and butterflies so any help would be apreciated...

Crinum graminicola (Graslelie)

Lantana Camara (Lantana)

I’m not sure about my ID here: Sida Rhombifolia (arrowleaf sida) with a Colotis Evagore Antigone male (small orange tip)

We had another roadblock on the dirt road,

And then our first cats in almost a week was 3 males on the Rabelais loop,

Here I got to tick another lifer, the Long-tailed Paradise Whydah

As this was our last day at Maroela we decided to start packing a few things tonight already, and Cheetah was very disappointed when we decided to not braai tonight and I packed in the charcoal. We cracked open some KPA’s and Cheets his Label and then it was time to check on the forum...

At the bathroom I had to take a pic of this frog (I think it is a foam nest frog) in the windowsill.

We went to bed early as it was packing very early the next day. And then on our way to Lower Sabie for our last 3 nights in Kruger. We had already stayed 9 nights in the Park and still not been able to spot a brownie... Maybe we would have some luck in the South?
To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 10… onwards to Lower Sabie

Another sad and busy morning for the brownie bunch, as we were to pack up very early to leave yet another amazing camp. After freshening up I saw that Cheets were MIA and Wendy was in the kitchen making us a MMC, after ensuring that everything was packed and nothing left behind we tackled the road to our next destination. The first thing we encountered this morning was a woodland kingfisher and a very bad video clip just had to be taken so you guys can have the bush feel this morning. I listened to it now and can’t believe how many birds are awake just before 5 in the morning…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anri-w/10015708803/

Now every time Wendy and I want to discuss something one of us would stop then wave the other one forward. And after having a short chat the one in the back would go past and then lead till another conversation. So I got a bbm from Cheets and stopped Wendy as he just informed us about a wild dog sighting that we missed near Nsemani, 3 dogs crossed the road and he was super excited about this, well we were not even 5km from Maroela so we wouldn’t make it even if we wanted to. So she took lead and just after a turn she stopped and jumped in her car, I started getting excited by her behaviour… and you wouldn’t believe what waited in the road…

We moved forward as we were the only cars there and upon closer investigation saw that we missed a kill somewhere as they had some blood on them.

And then they tried to attack this wartie as well, but he chased 5 full grown dogs off. It was the first time that I saw an animal chase a predator away…

Then after about 15 minutes they moved into the bushes and we were a bit down, we just heard yelping of the dogs and then stayed a bit just watching after them.

But in no time they returned with more dogs, they were much younger than the dogs we have seen earlier and they dragged some left-over pieces of a baby imp with them. We had to count quick and they were moving around the whole time, we believe that there was about 30 dogs in total in this pack.

Since the cubs joined in another 2 cars joined our amazing sighting, and then the unthinkable happened… As we followed them and they moved forward they spot some imps on the right and the chase began we stopped and no pics were taken as it happened so fast. They ran into that herd and the imps didn’t know what hit them, I was in front with Wendy behind me and first an imp ran in front of my car and skidded on the tar with two dogs behind him, then as I turned to face Wendy to show her my amazement a imp ran between us and jumped over her bonnet… We were flabbergasted, the dogs was successful but it was somewhere in the bush and we couldn’t see anything so we moved on as we had already awesome pics and it was still a long way to go to Lower Sabie, we did send Cheets a bbm to inform him about our fantastic sighting. Some other sightings towards Satara were a slender mongoose, waterbuck, zebs and at the camp a brown-headed parrot.

Then it was the straight road towards Tshokwane, here are some of our sightings on the H1-3,

At Kumana Dam as always there were waterbuck

Then my ‘spot’ for the day, this little critter was scurrying over the tar road…

Mr. Majestics

And then another sighting of which Cheets informed us about, he was very chilled and we stayed with him for about half an hour…

And then just past him we had 2 herds of buffalo, this road was definitely pumping today, we saw dark clouds also making their appearance but we got no rain on our road.

We stopped at Tshokwane to get some lunch, my mouth was watering for some kudu worsrol, and after ordering we got a seat underneath the lapa and chatted away.

This starling was also having some lunch…

After a delicious roll I lighted a cigarette and then this verve came to visit us, she got too close for comfort and after standing up and actually clapping and trying to chase her away, she even got closer. She grabbed some fudge of the table and then climbed up a tree to indulge in her victory.

We left and I was very angry as we saw some tourists feeding the bloody monkeys as well…

Tolpis Capensis with a male Belenois creona severina (African common night)

And of course a visit at Leepan, here we got white faced ducks, blacksmith plover and the comb-billed duck

Just before Kruger Tablets I saw in my rearview mirror that a bakkie was flashing me, and I was very confused but still I pulled over. This guy pulled up next to me and asked if I knew that it is against Park rules to advertise… I was like: ‘WHAAAAAT?’ and after a while they just started laughing, it was Imberbe and SO who had a conference in the Park.

We turned on the H12 towards Lower Sabie and here is something that you see almost everytime you drive the stretch between Skuks and LS.

We got to camp just after 15:00 and heard that we missed a lekker rainfall, Cheets were having a chat with Leach while he waited for us and then we started setting up our camp for our last 3 days in the Park. Wendy and I chilled in camp that afternoon but as it was Cheets last night in the Park he did an afternoon drive. We then started a fire and had a lekker braai and a few KPA’s as it started getting warm.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day11… more bad luck

Well, the day didn’t start of like this at least; we were full of expectations as this is Lower Sabie, the land of the leopard and all other whisker fitted animals… Or I thought so, after this trip I will never have expectations again of any camp. Be glad that you are able to wake up smelling the fresh bushy air and drink a steaming cup of MMC whilst driving and searching for any animal. That is all I expect from any trip from now on…
So we take on Eloff street and our plan is just an all around via Salitjie as we drive the speed of tortoise and then have a brekkie at Mlondozi. We started with a great sighting, some buffies at Sunset Dam.

And a Martial having a very early breakfast,

Then we found this oke in the road, was a first for me, and we followed him at a safe distance until he moved towards the river

And then I lost Wendy for a while as I sat with my bestest ever birdy next to the road

We also got some ellies in the road, was a beautiful breeding herd who had a dust bath, here is mum and baby and a very shy boetie…

It was very quiet today, we stopped for absolutely everything, we had brown snake eagle and juvenile Bateleurs all over Salitjie road, and here is a tortie trying to hide from us

And one of the reasons why we visit Kruger during December, this is a must for everyone!

We arrived at Mlondozi and it was pumping with people, not something we really wanted, we got out our sardines and crackers and had a not so conventional brunch whilst looking over one of my favorite scenes…

It started getting too crowded so we decided it is KPA time at camp. Something that I always stop for is ellie poop with some decorations…

At camp, Wendy decided that she wanted to take a nap and I went over to Leachy to have a bit of a chat. We had another visitor coming to say ‘HI’ from the tree of which we sat under…

Leachy was feeling a bit sluggish as well and decided to have a powernap, now here I sat with no one to kuier with and then it dawned upon me, let’s do another drive. People spoke of leopard cubs just 7km on the Salitjie from the H12 so I turned into that direction. As it was getting warmer by the minute the sightings were getting less and I started looking at the other beauties of the Park.

Ceratotheca Triloba (Wild Foxglove)

Plumbago Zeylanica

A lifer for me, green-winged Pytilia

Far off animals,

A lot of vultures where circling above me, but after a few kilometers I saw that they were settling down in the riverbed, maybe sunning or something.

Now I got to this rock on the Salitjie road and there were already a car there, I settled half behind him and with my binocs I was checking out this rock formation; one hour passes and nothing happens. I start chatting to the oke in the other car and he even shows me some of his pics of the baby leopards of which he took the day before, another hour goes by and it is hot, I see something fly by past and I got to take this horrible pic of a purple-crested Turaco

The third hour comes and goes and still nothing, dark clouds started moving towards us and after contemplating this with the other driver we decide it is better to go back to camp as it looks like a massive storm. Before getting on the tar I at least got to see a bushbuck ram,

Here is a pic of the clouds making their way towards Skuks…

I take lead and just past the S21 a heavy rain start, you can’t see anything and all I think off and hope is that Wendy is at the camp to save our belongings and close and put everything away… Well, this is what greeted me when I got home (If it wasn't for Leachy's friends then we would've had a wet everything, but they packed everything away so we could at least sit dry. I still owe them for this!!!!

I just look at this, pop open a KPA and shake my head. Oh well, all is wet now so what can I do. I get a bbm from Wendy saying that she is going to be very late and I must inform the gate lady as she is in a hectic jam just a few kilometers from CrocBridge with golden cats in the middle of the road. She gets to camp about 30 minutes after gate closing time and the woman just tells her to report at reception, which she doesn’t… Ya, nobody checks up if you were late or get fined… And then we start our braai under a lapa thingy, with Leach and very good friends’ of his. They made the most delicious beer-chicken in the world. But now before that, let me share with you my heksie-feeling-sorry-for-herself-moment; Wendy comes and shows me her kitty cat kiekies and video of the babies suckling on mummy in front of her car… I quickly walk home to fetch another KPA when I think about this, all I want to see is lions in the park, and what happens, I first lock my keys in my car, then drive off a causeway then what? Break my carseat and my gazebo is no more after this storm… now I go to hopefully see the leppies at their den and after 3 hours I only stared at a R-O-C-K and she gets cats in the road, the best of this is when I had this epiphany I stumbled into a hole full of water up to my ankle and now I’m dripping wet as well. I was done at this moment and all emotions just flood towards me (no, not dronkverdriet as I only had 2 KPA’s by then) and I start feeling very sorry for myself and also start crying… I just needed a few minutes for myself and then after wiping the last tears I was ready to face my friends. Oh by the way Leach had a cheetah in the middle of the road on his afternoon drive?!? So please bare with me…
We had a feast that night with chicken and wors and foiled veg with salad. And not talking about all the chatter and laughter underneath our skelmplekkie, it was such a lekker night which ended in me passing out of exhaustion in my very wet and tiny tent.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Richprins wrote:Catching up, Heksie! O0

That was a "foam nest frog"!

That is by far the biggest wild dog pack in recent history... :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you post on the doggie thread, can I send it on to other scientists? O\/ ^Q^ O/\

We don't drink early in the morning, ironically...Dwarf does! ^0^

Stunning stuff! 0:
Thanks for confirming my frog \O
I will post on the doggy thread just for you, got more pics to share as our pics on a TR-episode is limited O**
I pegged you as someone waking up with an ice cold schnapps in the hand :-?

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 12… small things makes it worthwhile

It is sad to say that I woke up this morning knowing that it is my last full day in the Park, we decided to drive to Croc Bridge via the S28 and visit Nthahdanyathi Birdhide along the way then see where the road take us… but first, a quick look on the low water bridge, here I got the most photographed Golly in the South and because of the light and some other things I’m not aware of it looks like instead of taking a pic I painted him.

I looked upon the sky and saw that the sun was starting to make ad appearance behind the dark clouds of the previous night.

This was our first obstacle to cross this morning, Squeekems and I took one look and plunged forward…

At least we made it. We were trundling forward when a flying creature caught my eye… It settled in a dead tree next to road and was pestered by a fork-tailed drongo.

Nothing was happening at the hide and as we got back on the S28 we drove into Leach who informed us about lions that he saw crossing the road on the S137 and hoping that they would make their way towards us, so we waited for a while. How strange it might have seemed for others seeing 3 cars waiting next to the road for lions to maybe appear someday… We waited for a bit but nothing happened so we moved on and Leach decided to join us, so the three musketeers made their way to Croc. Some sightings on the way;
Wahlberg Eagle

And then an amazing sighting that had us all up in arms. It was 3 BBJ’s that were playing around, chasing each other and jumping on logs and snapping around. We were sitting with them for a long time as it was in an open area and you could have a great view of them for a 50m stretch so there were no bad behaviour of any one (or maybe they weren’t really jackal type people)

A lone willie.

We also had a zebra kill in a tree, wonder how the leopard struggled to get him in there, took a few bad pics and then it was onwards. We got to CrocBridge and did some freshening up, talking about what route we would like to take back and when I got to my car this oke checked my yellow bonnet out and asked me about it… we chatted for a while and when Leachy came, he greeted this oke as they knew each other for years. Ya, a blonde moment, it was Aat and Ellie which came from Satara as they say CB has the best brekkie in the Park. Here is a pic (fltr: Ellie, Aat, Leachy, WendyA)

We started feeling dozy on our way back, and decided that we were to go straight back to camp and chill a bit. On our way back we got some buffies,

And the cutest eety beety little warties, just got them as they scattered into the grass…

But then one flew back for a pic (this pic made me laugh)

We did the Gomodwane loop on which we got a Burchells Coucal

and a European Bee-eater

Back on the tar we got the last members of a buff herd crossing the road

And then just before Lower Sabie we got a small traffic jam and because I have a small car another car allowed me to move in front of him (yes I did not jump row) and this was a great sighting for me!

He moved further into the bush so we drove the last few kilometers to camp. Here some ice cold KPA’s were popped and we just enjoyed the camp life.
A Cardinal Woodpecker in one of the trees near our tent

Blue-headed Agama

Then for an afternoon nap… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Feeling all powered up we take an afternoon drive, Big5Spotter camped across us and informed us about a impala kill on the S128 so we decide to go have a look, on the low water bridge I first took some kiekies of my birdies…

And a little egret

Then when we get at the spot, there were a few cars, all waiting for the leopard to return as this was all we saw in the tree.

We decided to drive the S29 and Muntshe and on our way back go check this spot out again. Oh and what a good decision it was. It was a peaceful and tranquil drive with some beautiful views and gentle giants…

We got back to the impala tree to find a good 8 car traffic jam… but we got a good view as the tree was next to the road and the leopard was in a spot that could be seen from anywhere. Yay! Our second spotty for the trip and what a beautiful lady! I stayed with her till about 20 minutes to go before gate closing time…

Leaving the beauty in the tree I was greeted by the beast walking towards her feast in the tree.

And heading back to camp I had to take a pic of the Lower Sabie sunset.

I got Wendy at Sunset dam and when it was gate-closing time I turned towards LS, but saw her driving in the opposite direction to another roadblock. But I decided against following her and just settled down in camp. Again! A blunder for the Heksie as it was 2 young male lions in the road. Oh well, I did have great sightings today so the thought of another golden cat eluding me flew over quickly. Leachy joined us tonight and we had a lekker braai with foiled gemsquash. Here was a pic of us three having a lekker time.

I was sad knowing that it was our last night in the Park, and we were to depart separate ways as well. I always pack up first thing and then exit through Phabeni whereas Wendy will do a morning drive and then pack up, leaving via CB. Plans were made and our last drinks were consumed and it was time to hit the wet mattresses.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day13… farewell Kruger

I woke up this morning a bit upset, not only is it departure day but we searched high and low from North to South and we didn’t find any brown hyena. Just after I packed up, Wendy awoke and we said our farewell. I decided that when I left the camp that I should maybe just go check if the leopard was up in her tree on the S128 so a little detour was in order. I drove over the low water bridge and when I got to the intersection I got the surprise of a lifetime! 3 cars and this…

I was super excited and phoned Wendy about this, the sighting was 2km from Lower Sabie so she would make it in no time… He decided that it was enough lying around and then stood up, stretched a bit and walked to the signpost to make his mark.

Then he walked towards the S128, I followed as it was the way I wanted to go in anyway. I saw Wendy and she said that she is going back to camp to pack up and thanked me for informing her about this. It was a bit crowded so I just took a few kiekies and then moved on with the road.

I got to the spot where the leopardess was the previous day and only hyenas were there, very strange but there were cars parked ahead so I decided to do some sherlocking… And I got the surprise of the trip… (a lot of pics so bear with me)
She was walking up and down and all loveable, I even got a video of them, where she caresses him and you can faintly hear them purring)

http://youtu.be/5dKgFFnntBY

I phoned Wendy again but she said that she is busy packing and is not going to make it. By 6:20 we were 7 cars and as they were out in the open there were no bad behaviour from our side. I sat with them an hour when I decided to move back and saw only one car with the cheetah, I informed them about the leopards a few kilometers on and then was on my way back to Lower Sabie, as now I was in urgent need of a loo. Got these okes in the road…

And a very strange looking giraffe having a dispute with his friend

I also drove into Big5Spotter and they informed me about 3 cheetahs that I just missed on the H10 before the bridge. I didn’t have a care in the world as I had amazing sightings and it was still so early. I went back to camp to help Wendy pack up and she said that she is going to sommer leave as well. So we had out last MMC and hit the road again… At the low water bridge intersection I stopped and asked her if she want to go check out the leopards, in which she replied ‘why not’ so I took a detour for the second time. When we got back on the S128 the road we hit a small traffic jam, and another surprise came our way. My cheetah of earlier were joined by 4 others. They were in the open again and without bothering other people we got great spots to take kiekies from.

We sat with them for about 30 minutes and moved on as the time wasn’t standing still and we want to leave the Park, I initially wanted to be on the road by 7:30 and it by this time I was still at Lower Sabie. Now instead of driving home via Phabeni we took the H4-2 to CrocBridge. Some of our sightings on our way out of the Park;
Pied Kingfisher

These fellas caused a bit of a roadblock…

Just as we left the Gate we got them in the parking lot

I left the park thinking that she never disappoints, even though we were searching for a brownie and didn’t find one, we did have amazing sightings with a gazillion laughs. I got to tick lifers and have a lot of firsts on the animal department as well. This was my first camping trip in Kruger but would certainly not be my last as I was thinking when I would like to book another trip again whilst driving back to Bronkhorstspruit.
Just a few notes on our return trip, Wendy followed me and just past the tollgate I got a phonecall from her that she was getting very sleepy behind the wheel and want to stop and have a little nap. I said we should stop at Hall’ Wimpy for a coffee because everytime we felt a bit drowsy in the Park, KPA-time just made it better, I think it was the fact that we were driving each in separate cars. So after an ice coffee at Wimpy I was going home Part 2. We were fine until we got to Milly’s when she said that she can’t keep her eyes open and is going to park underneath shade and have a powernap, we bid our farewells for the second time and I went on my way. I got home and after packing up, passed out immediately as this trip was exhausting (I needed another holiday after this one) and when I woke at 18:00 I saw that Wendy at least arrived safely in Pretoria by 17:00. This was truly a trip for the books with the most blunders and forumites and laughs and helicopter moths and not enough sleep that I had in my life and something that I wouldn’t forget very soon.

Thank you guys for joining me on this trip, hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

THE END

And are there Brownies in Kruger? I will try to find one with my next trip…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”